Need G12 Coolant -- Where can I get it?

Tussey

TDI
'99 Jetta MkIV Black 5-Speed
I turned on my car today and I was alerted that my car is dangerously low on coolant. It was about an inch below the Min line. I have a 99 Jetta TDI and I was wondering where I can buy replacement coolant. I'm sure they have it at the dealer but what about Wal-mart or a Jiffy lube. Do TDI's have "special" coolant or is it normal antifreeze. When I buy it, from Walmart or VW dealer, do I have to mix it with water or just pour it in? Can someone help me? Thanks

-Tussey

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just add some distilled water. An inch is no big deal.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Its special VW coolant.
Buy it at the dealer. It is cheaper because there is no shipping charges that you will incurr buying it from a distance.

dag

TDI
sold: Black 2003 Jetta Wagon GL
www.germanautoparts.com has it, too. Click Chemicals & Lubricants on the left, then drop down to Coolants, then choose Pentosin. At $7.50 plus reasonable shipping for 1.5L (1 part coolant to 1 part water concentration) it was cheaper than all my super-lame southeast Pennsylvania dealers' parts departments. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
dag said:
www.germanautoparts.com has it, too. Click Chemicals & Lubricants on the left, then drop down to Coolants, then choose Pentosin. At $7.50 plus reasonable shipping for 1.5L (1 part coolant to 1 part water concentration) it was cheaper than all my super-lame southeast Pennsylvania dealers' parts departments. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $12 from the dealer for a gallon.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
The next question is: why are you low on coolant? The same thing happened to me right before my Beetle's water pump went with 96000 miles. I never had to add any coolant before that.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
[ QUOTE ]
Frank M said:
[ QUOTE ]
dag said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $12 from the dealer for a gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer prices went up this summer to about $17.

I do agree that you need to keep an eye on it as the WP might be on it's way out. My level dropped about an inch over 10K, did the TB and the pump showed signs of leaking.

Wavemantoo

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI -- Wheat Beige, Package 2
[ QUOTE ]
Frank M said:
Its special VW coolant.
Buy it at the dealer. It is cheaper because there is no shipping charges that you will incurr buying it from a distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to try an Audi dealership too. Surprisingly the Audi dealership (which happpens to be nearer to my home !) was cheaper than the VW dealership !

TIP: Call around BEFORE you hit the road and include Audi dealerships in your calls.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
MrEd said:
Closest dealer to me charges $20+ per gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]
at $7.50 + S&H for 1.5L for the online purchase, the $20 from the dealer is a bargin..