New project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
Geil sieht die karre aus Fab176,ich hoffe das du den Projekt so viel wie möglich zu ende bringst weil es sieht wie ein Traum auto zu mir jedenfalls.Sieht auch nicht mehr wie ein "sleeper" aber egal,von mir aus könnte das noch ein bissel tiefer gehen:D
Viel glück,noch mehr Spaß bei weiteren arbeiten und das du ihm bald irgendwo auf den Autobahn blicken last :)
Mfg...

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@Schumey: Good find! Some other guy told me that in the Focus RS Mk1 people do the FMIC conversion the other way around. They replace the liquid-air intercooler with a air-air FMIC whenever they want to go beyond 300 bhp. I was a little surprised as I expect the liquid-air intercooler to be more efficient when set up correctly.

@Mike_04GolfTDI: I'd like to have such an old baby, too :D

@Jakobicev: We are working on it whenever we have time for it. Good thing is we have no pressure to get the car running as it currently has an engine that works properly. And (if everything goes fine) we will first install the modded engine into a "mock up car" - probably some wrecked Seat Leon Mk1. We will use it to fit all the plumbing, downpipe etc. But I fear once I get the Golf running with the new engine, I will take care of it and only drive it on special occasions ;)

About the "lost" sleeper look: originally I didn#t want to change a single thing, but I made too many bargains. And the front bumper seemed like a good idea to put the big FMIC behind - not thinking about a water-air intercooler at that time. So I have an R-looker with (hopefully) slightly better performance than a stock R32 Mk4.

Going a bit lower: it is possible for the front, but the rear springs have already been to the max. And I don't want my Golf to look like the "ice-cream-parlor-heroes" BMW E36 316i who put the car's nose in the dirt and raise its butt to the sky :D

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
OT: Bad news - our A4 3.0 TDI obviously had a major engine damaged. All parameters were fine, going ~150 kph on the Autobahn. Took the foot off the go pedal because of a 120 kph-zone and the engine stalled. No chance to re-start it. No warning lamps went on before; no smoking, no overheating, nothing. Crank shaft is turning, common rail pressure is ok, but oil is above max. The car is not at my place but it was brought to a shop in my hometown. I had only a 30 min look at it; turbo looks fine (no oil or so; didn't see the inside). Compression test will be done on Monday (via the injector holes), so it can be seen if any of the injectors failed. I expect the worst... I've read of injectors failing at the 3.0 V6 TDI. I also read of a case when a glow plug melted at high Autobahn-speed (beyond 220 kph), but this doesn't really apply. Funny thing though - the diagnosis system won't find the ECU. It is meant to work with the A4 3.0 TDI and is compatible with CAN-bus.

Long story short: I fear there is a least one damaged piston (because of the increase of oil volume). CR test will tell more.

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
Let's hope for the best.
And I hope whatever it is, it doesn't affect this project.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Fabian, Hast Du das Geld für die Kratzer bekommen? Wenn die Nachbarn eine Haftpflichtversicherung haben, dürfte es kein Problem sein. Die meisten HPVs sind ja da, besonders für die kleinen Kinder zu haften, da soclhe Sachen häufiger vorkommen. Unsere HPV gilt für kleine Kinder.

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@eddie_1: It takes an eternity for the insurance company to handle this case. But I was told they will tranfer the money WITHOUT 19% taxes directly to my bank account. Then I have to hand in the bill from the painter and I will receive the remaining money, which is business as usual in Germany. BUT: despite all promises, nothing has happened so far - and it happened on 4th of July, so quite a while ago. Background for the insurance company to pay the damage is that - in case the parents didn't supervise the kids properly - the insurance company pays for the damage. In case the parents supervised the kids properly at the moment the damaged occurred, the parent's insurance is resposible. Which, in fact, is covered by the same insurance contract.

OT: Ed, I will reply to your eMail ASAP; I was a little busy the last week.

--------------------

About the bloody Audi A4: there is a 3mm wide crack on the left hand cylinder bank (so actually the crank case cracked). Really unusual damage; we used an endoscope to look into the cylinders via the injector holes. As I mentioned, rail pressure and pump are ok, but nevertheless the injectors could be faulty. Especially the injector used in the 2005-2007 3.0 CR TDI engines seem to "drop" and cause major engine defects. Our way ahead: remove the cylinder heads, check pistons, crack shaft, rods etc. Then decide if we buy a new crank case and pistons only or if we have to go any further and look for a 2009- 3.0 TDI. But I am not sure if the recent 3.0 TDIs use the same ECU; engine wiring harness certainly differs. Due to the different injectors, I can imagine that HD pump is a different one, too. However you take it, it is going to be a cost intensive game.

Funny thing is we have an appointment in Zandvoort this Friday. My Missus got a voucher for a "race experience day" at Zandvoort Circuit for her birthday. Besides racing a dozen of sports cars (after instruction), you can push your own car around the circuit as well. Obviously we won't take the Audi there... So my little Golf with a way to weak engine will have the honor to block traffic on Circuit Zandvoort :D

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Ein KFZ-Meister erklärte mir, er habe bei den 170PS TDIs 1000er 'verkokte Einspritzdüsen' ausgewechselt. Es wundert mich aber, dass durch Verstellung der Injektoren in einem TDI Motor alles kaput geht.

turbo johan

Veteran Member
when ecu doesn't response, it can be that ecu doesn't get power anymore.
ECU power relais broken or something.
With dead engine you still can read ecu.
Do you have engine light/ glow light in dash with ignition on?
If no, ECU doesn't work.
I haven't seen many engine failures with 3.0 tdi.
Love those engine, esspecially the 240 hp models :)

Johan

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hey Eddie, wir wissen, dass du begeistert um dein deutsch üben zu können bist, aber die meist Leute hier verstehen kein deutsch. Wenn du ausschließlich mit Fabian reden möchtest, kannst du die private Nachricht benutzen. Ansonsten zur Höflichkeit zu den anderen, schreib bitte auf englisch. Anderenfalls gibt es mehrere deutsch-sprachige Foren.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Eddie, wir wissen, dass du begeistert um dein deutsch üben zu können bist, aber die meist Leute hier verstehen kein deutsch. Wenn du ausschließlich mit Fabian reden möchtest, kannst du die private Nachricht benutzen. Ansonsten zur Höflichkeit zu den anderen, schreib bitte auf englisch. Anderenfalls gibt es mehrere deutsch-sprachige Foren.
I guess the point of this is to show me you know some german? I mean why would you ask me to not write in german and write in german yourself? Northern europeans and the ones in this thread would understand german. There were other posts in german. Obviously you know some german. It is just Uncanadian too.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I guess the point of this is to show me you know some german? I mean why would you ask me to not write in german and write in german yourself? Northern europeans and the ones in this thread would understand german. There were other posts in german. Obviously you know some german. It is just Uncanadian too.

So eddie, did you already pass the EU3 test? if both NOx and particulates are too high, you have a bit of a probblem, as more of the one, gets less from the other :p

Gruss :p

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
I wish I knew enough german somedays, all the really good ecu information floating about is in german.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
So eddie, did you already pass the EU3 test? if both NOx and particulates are too high, you have a bit of a probblem, as more of the one, gets less from the other :p

Gruss :p
Hi Ruben

I could not pass euro3 but it made euro2. I still have not got the test data to see exactly where NOx, HC, CO and particles came out. I got to know the Emissions Engineer well personally so I am hoping to ask him for the data as soon as I get the car through the entire TÜV process. I will send you the data. They are allowing me to register with Euro2 as an exception so I am not going to pursue further. The road tax differential between euro2 and euro3 is minimal but cannot drive to many cities, wouldn't have been able to with euro3 either though.

The guy admitted that vastly experienced tuners have failed the NEDC cycle more than 10 times. He said the same thing. When they retune they got one value to come down but the other one went up. The way it works in Germany is that most custom tuning shops, since they have to do it legally and be able to sell the tuning concept car/hardware/tune, have to take the car to get it through the NEDC. Basically the car has to meet the original emission classification after the mods. However a euro 3 car will almost never meet euro 3 again, whatever you do. So when I talked to custom builders/tuners man I could just feel this wave of resentment and frustration towards TÜV. As soon as you put on a bigger turbo for example the thing becomes difficult. Since euro 3 is under partial load what will a hybrid turbo do? You can hardly get the thing to spool up. I hooked up the EGR back up, got a new Oxicat. I still made Euro2 which considering the odds was quite good.

Anyway I'm through the tough part - emissions. The car was then sent to the Mechanical Inspection HU part. Unfortunately the other guy was pretty picky and gave me a laundry list of things to take care of including reversing some mods. I am working on those. As a final kick in the pants, they want to do a noise measurement and the car has to meet 75dBA. I hope my magnaflow muffler will be good. It looks like as you said the lower frequencies are filtered which could help the diesel.

I will keep you posted if I ever get the car through TÜV.

Greetz

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Imo the turbo isnt really critical for NEDC, what weight class is your car? if a mk4 sdi can drive the test, I am quite sure that with a hybrid turbo and relatively short gears it should be no problem at all, offcourse the open loop vgt position is a critical input

if you cannot get EU3 in ten tests I also think you one might reconsider the strategy. or atleast do a test with a continious emmission measurement so you can have an idea of which part in the cycle is critical

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, I dont have the data to see where the car was failing exactly. I think when I get it we could understand more. But I still think it is a tough problem. There are are many extraneous factors that are beyond ones control. The age of the car is a factor. Not all the parts are in original working condition. I noticed even with stock injectors I could not get a predictable Startverhalten. Each start was showing different amounts of Russ, as if the nozzles are leaking. The mechanical pump is not that precisely controllable. Couple that with the extraordinary amounts of money the TÜV want for these measurements and you are in limbo. I wonder if these cars even met Euro3 to start with. VW vs TÜV is different to eddie vs TÜV. You need good nerves to live in Germany. :D But it has been an interesting adventure.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hallo Ruben, Hier ist eine Zusammenfassung: Man sieht, dass das Auto alle Grenzwerte überschritten hat, jedoch Euro 2 erfüllt. Details habe ich Dir geschickt.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
PM cannot be the problem, slight increase of the injector opening pressure will do the trick, NOx we can fix over EGR, but offcouyrse there is a PM tradeoff, CO and HC are probaly fixeable by increasing the post glow time..

Also it seems there was way no, or def too little EGR in the acceleration from 100 to 120 in the EUDC, also the cat didnt seem to really light off.. if you have a new state off the art oxicat, you can expect light-off and over 95% CO conversion efficiency already from 160 degrees..

in the worst case, just use and regenerated LNT, should be fine for one NEDC :p

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
probably can fix the PM, CO and HC as you say but NOx will be difficult being 20% over. The Cat I used was not one of the best, there are better ones like below but pretty steep in price. The EGR was working pretty good observed by VAGCOM. Interestingly the US models have EGR cooler but Euro dont. Are there any products with LNT Technology? Unfortunately the 3way Cat doesn't work on diesel i.e. without lambda regulation.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
NOx we just trap in the LNT, ideally to fix the NEDC you put a regenerated LNT far enough to the rear of the exh, it will trap most of the NOx, and only releases it when it goes over a certain temperature (300-350 degC) or converts it when running rich (lambda around .95 and alot of engine out CO)

then you can just use a small oxicat directly after turbine that light off soon to convert the CO and HC

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
A short update on the current status:

The A4's engine is f*cked up; I need at least a new crank case and new pistons. We'll see if we need a new crank shaft, rods etc next week. I searched the internet a lot about engine failure on the 204 bhp 3.0 CR TDI; obviously the 2005-2007 injectors were rubbish and have been re-modeled. Anyway, there are quite a big number of complete engine failures due to "dropping" injectors that caused pistons defects etc.

I somehow need to get sort of a plan now; I will spend my money on re-building the A4's engine now and won't take any further investments to the 2.0 TDI rebuild at the moment. This means I won't purchase the liquid-to-air intercooler now. Whatever has been started now (hybridizing the turbo, getting the cylinder head done etc.) will be finished, but I think I have to put everything on hold for a while. That stupid 3.0 engine will certainly cost me more than 5000 Euros :-/

We have been to Zandvoort last Friday; although it was raining heavily in the morning, the rest of the day was a lot of fun. I took a lot of pictures and some videos. At the end of the day there was the opportunity to ride the own vehicle on trck, but my Missus refused to do so. So I wasted a descent amount of Euros on track-compatible tyres :( But compared to a Lamborghini Gallardo my little blue Golf wouldn't be as much fun ;)

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Ok, some pics from that so-called "race experience XL" in Zandvoort.

Formula Renault race cars. After an introduction each participant rode a couple of laps after sort of a "pace car". They look like toys, but they go pretty well.

"drift taxi" Ford Mustang. Actually the only car the participants weren't allowed to ride themselves. A driver took each participant on a lap around the track and spent about 80% of the time drifting. In order to keep tyre wear relatively low, both Mustangs had a water sprayer installed in the rear wheel arches. Nice show.

Ferrari 430 Spider. Unfortunately not part of the package, but it was parked in the paddock and looked nice.

Lamborghini Gallardo. Introduction and after that a couple of laps around the track after an instructor with a Gallardo, too. Nice engine sound, btw.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Same game as with the Gallardo. Sounds even more aggressive than the Gallardo IMHO.

Pit lane with some of these automotive jewels parked.

A couple of Ferrari 430s taking off for a couple of laps.

Pit lane with Formula Renault and BMW 130i Cup look-alikes parked. In fact, the BMWs were 120i, but equipped with a roll cage, better brakes, OZ wheels etc. to makes them to look like a 130i cup at least. Also part of the "race experience"

A number of Porsche GT3 - also part of the package and according to my Missus the car that provided the most fun and went best.

Dodge Charger set up for a quarter-mile-drag-race. Not like the real thing, but the participants could do a couple of runs against each other.

There were some more things to do during that day in Zandvoort like driving an offroad circuit, go-karting, handbrake-turn circuit, slalom challenge etc. I was a little suspicious when I bought the voucher as a present for my Missus, but it was definately worth the money and she had a blast. If someone wants to see / hear some videos, I can upload them on youtube.