Help! A simple job turned ugly...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I have the tensioner tool and I'm about an hour from you. Not sure if it's worth it to cancel the order.

-Todd

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
Okay so I followed the myturbodiesel.com instructions for removing the timing belt, and then took the injection pump out, followed the diesel-forumas.lt guide to the tee and got it all back together. i assembled it and wiped all the parts down in fresh diesel as a lubricant during assembly. I got the pump back in, the key in place and then locked it into place with the injection pump lock tool. I got the new timing belt on and made sure the crankshaft was aligned where the flywheel is location, made sure the camshaft was locked also and put the belt on. I didnt get a tensioner tool from metalnerd...so I'm trying to find someone local who has one I can borrow.

Once I get the tensioner tight I think its a matter of simple assembly. The diesel-forumas.lt guide was excellent and should be a sticky or something!

Anyone in the delaware tristate area? I'd be willing to drive half hour to an hour to borrow the tensioner tool...

Thanks for your help everybody! cant wait to have my jetta back on the road!
Did you use the parts you bought from www.injection-pump.com? Please reply with a list of the parts you installed that you purchased from that company. Please don't blow this off as it's important. If you installed those parts your engine is on borrowed time from the moment you first start it.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, that's Prothe but if he just bought the sockets to pull triangular bolts, he'll be fine. I know people who've used his seal kits and pump bushings with no issues.

I've been itching to buy one of his AAZ camplates for my old IDI, but have been leery.

-Todd

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
Yeah, that's Prothe but if he just bought the sockets to pull triangular bolts, he'll be fine. I know people who've used his seal kits and pump bushings with no issues.

I've been itching to buy one of his AAZ camplates for my old IDI, but have been leery.

-Todd
This is what the OP said he bought: "I picked out a seal kit with triangle bolt for 23$ a timing belt kit with locking tools for 75$ and a replacement belt tensioner because its been squeaking for 34$. Total comes to $141 with shipping."

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
I did not order anything from there. I ordered everything that was listed on the myturbodiesel listings and I don't think he likes this guy either. I spent nearly 600$ in parts, so I think all is well.

Where are you located todd? I am in wilmington delaware, 19810. I may cancel if you are close enough. i spent 40$ on the tool and 30$ for shipping...

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
The Mk3 tensioners are REAL friendly by having the alignment notch and marker. In place of the tensioner tool - you can insert 2 nails into the dowel holes - slip a screwdriver in between them - and use leverage on the nails to turn the tensioner UPWARDS until the alignment marks meet.

Torque is only about 13 ft lbs on the tensioner nut - overtightening will probably lead to premature failures.

You can also probably roll the tensioner into its parameter by hand - without any tools. The 90* snap ring pliers are good too - and probably much cheaper and easier to source local - and could have more uses than a tensioner tool.

Another tip -
i use a cell phone camera to snap a close up of the alignment marks on the tensioner. Birds eye unobstructed non-angular view of end result.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are you located todd? I am in wilmington delaware, 19810. I may cancel if you are close enough. i spent 40$ on the tool and 30$ for shipping...
Whoa, that's expensive! I've had my Schley for close to 20 years, but it still sounds high.

The tension happens after the belts are on.

Location is in my profile. I'm by the Cherry Hill mall.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Wait am I supposed to put the belt in its tension position before I put the belt on?
Follow the timing belt replacement procedure on MyTurboDiesel.com and you'll be all set.

Bicycle shops have the correct spanner for tensioning the tensioner as well, they use it on bicycle lock rings all the time. A pair of snap ring pliers will work just fine also.

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
Okay so last night I got the car all back together, tried to start it and it just cranked and cranked. I got one little sputter like it wanted to start - but it didnt.

I took a shop vac and sucked fuel from the filter through the line, I then sucked on the banjo fitting to suck fuel into the pump. After I did that I loosened the hard lines near the injectors and cranked until fuel spit out of there. Did I have an air bubble or is the injection pump timing way off??

As I said I got one little sputter as if it was going to try and start but it did not go. I will try and slide the pump one way and then the other to see if it gets closer to trying to start. I do have a friend with a vag-com but he is rarely available and I hate to waste his time so I want to take it to him once I know it's as close as I can get it.

Thank you TDIclub!

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
push the IP as much towards the engine as possible (counter-clockwise) which will give you the most advance and best chance for it to start.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
push the IP as much towards the engine as possible (counter-clockwise) which will give you the most advance and best chance for it to start.
Agreed!

I would bet your timing is retarded (late) and not allowing the fuel to fire in the cylinder.

Tony

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
That did the trick! I had tried to move the pump yesterday but did not crack the fuel lines to allow it to move enough. Once i cracked the fuel lines and moved it an extra 4-5 mm it fired up almost instantly! Now I have the P1248 code saying its too far advanced so I need to back it off a little...but at least it's running!!! woohoo!!!!

Again thank you everyone! you have been a huge help and I would not have been able to do this job without your help!

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
now find (or buy) a vagcom cable so you can set it where you want it and be all set to go.