79 Mk1 Rabbit with AHU swap, now blown. Rebuild AHU or upgrade to CJAA

Spacejanitor

TDI
1979 Rabbit w/97 AHU swap
I have a 79 Rabbit with a very nicely done AHU swap that dropped a valve, the AHU short block is rebuildable but the head is junk and will need new head, at least 1 injector and glowplug.
I would like to replace this swap with a 2.0 TDi CJAA engine from the 2010+ Golf/Jetta, here are my questions

is this engine any good? Any known issues that cannot be fixed or that have to be fixed over and over?

Will it bolt up to the 79 5 speed like the AHU?

Can I also upgrade to the 6 speed tranny by maybe using custom CV axles?

Will the 6 speed bolt up to the mk1 locations?

And most importantly, will this engine bolt up to the stock Mk1 locations or will this require fabrication?

Current setup is 97 Jetta AHU(blown) using the 79 accessories like the A/C compressor and alternator using V-belts not serpentine bolted to the original 79 5 speed, water to air intercooler, scirocco radiator, working ECU and OBD2 plug that I use for extra gauges.

Pictures of damage:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7052850-broken-down-AHU-help

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
go with the cjaa :) ....I would ditch the 020 and at least go for an 02A ... it will require custom mounts but you should be able to use a commercially available mk1 to 1.8t mount setup ....pretty common swap

Spacejanitor

TDI
funny you say that...I have an 02A from the swap that I cant seem to sell. Why not use the 02Q or whatever model manual 6 speed from the same year/model TDI that the CJAA would come from?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
funny you say that...I have an 02A from the swap that I cant seem to sell. Why not use the 02Q or whatever model manual 6 speed from the same year/model TDI that the CJAA would come from?
you could use the 02Q but as far as i know there are no vw "parts bin" axles that fit so you'd prob need to have customs fabbed up

Spacejanitor

TDI
you could use the 02Q but as far as i know there are no vw "parts bin" axles that fit so you'd prob need to have customs fabbed up

that would be the plan, my main concern is getting the engine installed, will the CJAA mount in the same location as the AHU on the MK1? and the 02Q will need those custom mounts for the 02A im guessing, or will it need an entire new set of custom mounts?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The AHU and all VW engines from about 1974 through 1999 share common mounting points. Everything 1995.5 and later uses a totally different mounting system.

There ARE aftermarket mounting solutions for the later engines in the Mk1 platform, but it definitely doesn't drop in like an AHU does.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The AHU and all VW engines from about 1974 through 1999 share common mounting points. Everything 1995.5 and later uses a totally different mounting system.

There ARE aftermarket mounting solutions for the later engines in the Mk1 platform, but it definitely doesn't drop in like an AHU does.
I think you mean 1999.5 and up?

Spacejanitor

TDI

so would finding something like ALH/02A mounts for the MK1 work for the CJAA?

I found this place buts its all in German, what aftermarket mounts would you recomend?

http://www.epytec.de/kategorien/motor-und-getriebe-halter/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/

Spacejanitor

TDI
what about the 1.8T swap thats pretty popular? what year engine is that? woudlnt I be able to use the 1.8T MK1 swap engine and tranny mounts?

ddd8896

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - 5 Speed, 2001 Jetta - 5 Speed, 1984 Jetta coupe TD - 5 Speed, 2011 Golf - DSG
I've been digging for info like this as well (Ive got a pair of CBEA engines and a mk1 Jetta Coupe lying around). I know those internal water pump engine swap kits that are being sold work with the ALH if a 16V tensioner is used. I'd be interested to see if and how it fits on the CBEA/CJAA, if at all.

I've been looking for a stand alone setup as well that may be able to support the common rail setup, seems the couple options that are available are overseas and pricey. Wish I could find somebody in the U.S. I suppose you could just wire the vehicle like a mk6 with cluster, pedal, and all.

Anyone else have knowledge/info on the subject?

ddd8896

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - 5 Speed, 2001 Jetta - 5 Speed, 1984 Jetta coupe TD - 5 Speed, 2011 Golf - DSG