ABS and flashing Brake dash lights on my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon...Advice?

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5-spd, Indigo Blue
ABS and flashing Brake dash lights on my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon...Fixed!!

First off, I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon.

...Well, my ABS and brake light came on just last week for no "apparent" reason...:rolleyes:

I cleaned off all four ABS speed sensors and checked their ohm resistance. The front/drivers/left side ABS sensor measured 0. I think it's suppose to measure around 1,000 to 1,300 ohms per Bentley. I believe I'll need a new one...:(

All the associated brake lines and wires look in good shape, as do the ABS fuses. My battery is clean, although I have not taken it out to look underneath for anything "strange".

Unfortuately, I don't have a VAG-Com handy.

Anything else I should check before I spend some $$$?

Also, any suggestions on the "cheapest" place to get a good replacement ABS speed sensor?

Thanks in advance...:)

Last edited:

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Find someone local with VAG-COM to scan it.

There are lots of good online places to shop around.
worldimpex.com
germanautoparts.com
tdiparts.com
parts4vws.com

rockauto.com (massive and not just VW)

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant TDI said:
Find someone local with VAG-COM to scan it.

There are lots of good online places to shop around.
worldimpex.com
germanautoparts.com
tdiparts.com
parts4vws.com

rockauto.com (massive and not just VW)
Thanks for the info.
I know getting a VAG-Com scan would definetly help.

Anyone have actual experience with what I've described? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something "obvious"...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Sounds like it might be a brake light switch problem. Do a search. It was a recall item. Actually, it would not hurt to call the VWoA number in your manual and have them look up you VIN for recalls.

Anyways, the replacement brake switch is different in color than the old one. The post you find should confirm that.

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
owr084 said:
Sounds like it might be a brake light switch problem. Do a search. It was a recall item. Actually, it would not hurt to call the VWoA number in your manual and have them look up you VIN for recalls.

Anyways, the replacement brake switch is different in color than the old one. The post you find should confirm that.
I called VWoA and they indicated there were two notices issued for my vehicle; The "N4 campain" to replace the faulty brake light switch (I had that done in July of '07) and a window regulator issue expiring sometime in mid 2010 (I've never had a problem with my windows).
I guess it's possible the "new" repalcement brake light switch could have died. Other then the flashing dash light, would my brake lights and/or brake components work OK as a result of a faulty brake light switch?

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sideoiler said:
I called VWoA and they indicated there were two notices issued for my vehicle; The "N4 campain" to replace the faulty brake light switch (I had that done in July of '07) and a window regulator issue expiring sometime in mid 2010 (I've never had a problem with my windows).
I guess it's possible the "new" repalcement brake light switch could have died. Other then the flashing dash light, would my brake lights and/or brake components work OK as a result of a faulty brake light switch?

TTT ???

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
JASONP said:
Does the cruise control still work?

Well, the cruise control is working fine as of today (5-11-09).
My steady ABS and flashing brake light indicators were unaffected unfortunately...

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Brake light

Have you checked your brake fluid level? When was brake system flushed? Required every 2 years.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A zero resistance measurement on one of the ABS sensors almost surely indicates the problem area.

But only a scan with VAG-COM can confirm that this is *actually* what the computer is unhappy about.

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
srponies said:
Were you able to solve this?.... My '02 Jetta has the same problem.

Steve
Well, here's the latest...

As of today, I still have the same problem (steady ABS light on with blinking parking brake light).
My brake fluid is full, clean, and "fresh" (replaced in '08).
I replaced the front left ABS wheel sensor with a new one that works fine. All four wheel sensors check out OK (no frayed wires or problem connections).

While the rear wheels were off, I replaced my rear brake pads with new Hawk HPS's. My old/original pads had less then 1/8" of material left.

I was also able to get my car hooked up to a VAG-COM and here's what the printout said:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0004097
Shop #: WSC 01266 785 00200

1 Fault Found:
01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal

....So, it looks like my ABS module is dead or dying..::(

From what I've heard, this ABS module can be either replaced or repaired.
Being the tinkerer that I am, I'd like to try and fix it myself.

Does anyone have experience, tips, or suggestions on fixing these ABS modules?

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
the abs on my 02 went away one winter ,on a trip out of town a dealers scanner called out the drivers side front

ordered the part had it ,front rotors & all pads changed by a local guy ,the lights went away without any kind of reset cuz I know the local guy doesnt have a scanner

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
XXX_er said:
the abs on my 02 went away one winter ,on a trip out of town a dealers scanner called out the drivers side front

ordered the part had it ,front rotors & all pads changed by a local guy ,the lights went away without any kind of reset cuz I know the local guy doesnt have a scanner
Cool.
I wish my report had listed a problem with the "drivers side front". If that had been the case, my problem would be already solved..;)

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
My brake and abs lights flash briefly with a beeping sound once and awhile. Seems to happen in streaks and only happens about 2 or 3 minutes after starting.

Here is the code:

Part No: 1C0 907 379 C
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0103
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

I haven't dug into it but I'll be following this thread.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
Sideoiler said:
Cool.
I wish my report had listed a problem with the "drivers side front". If that had been the case, my problem would be already solved..;)
I must have good karma or something ... every dealer experiance has been 100%

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sideoiler said:
Well, here's the latest...

As of today, I still have the same problem (steady ABS light on with blinking parking brake light).
My brake fluid is full, clean, and "fresh" (replaced in '08).
I replaced the front left ABS wheel sensor with a new one that works fine. All four wheel sensors check out OK (no frayed wires or problem connections).

While the rear wheels were off, I replaced my rear brake pads with new Hawk HPS's. My old/original pads had less then 1/8" of material left.

I was also able to get my car hooked up to a VAG-COM and here's what the printout said:

Part No: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Shop #: WSC 01266 785 00200

1 Fault Found:
01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal

....So, it looks like my ABS module is dead or dying..::(

From what I've heard, this ABS module can be either replaced or repaired.
Being the tinkerer that I am, I'd like to try and fix it myself.

Does anyone have experience, tips, or suggestions on fixing these ABS modules?
Here's a picture I found (might be from this tdi forum?) of someone's handy work in fixing a bad ABS module by soldering new wires in to replace the thin factory ribbon wire.
It doesn't seem too complicated a job, but looks can be deceiving...

Anyone have experience with this "fix"?

Last edited:

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
That's the first I've seen of that... and if it works, it's a great idea. But I can give you a really useful tip if you're going to go that route.

Spend a little extra and get some wire with teflon insulation. It doesn't bubble, shrink or soak up oil like the normal stuff. You can also hit it with the iron, and it won't burn through.

Based on the original ribbons and wire length, I'd say that 20-22 gauge would be more than sufficient, and be a lot easier to work with.

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant TDI said:
That's the first I've seen of that... and if it works, it's a great idea. But I can give you a really useful tip if you're going to go that route.

Spend a little extra and get some wire with teflon insulation. It doesn't bubble, shrink or soak up oil like the normal stuff. You can also hit it with the iron, and it won't burn through.

Based on the original ribbons and wire length, I'd say that 20-22 gauge would be more than sufficient, and be a lot easier to work with.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look for teflon coated wire if or when I attempt this fix.
It's my understanding that a number of the online businesses that repair/refurbish ABS modules rewire them in a similar fashion to what is pictured above.

srponies

TDI
02 Jetta GLS, 01 Beetle
My BRAKE light is no longer lit - I replaced the brake light switch. I installed 2 rear ABS sensors, and am now on to brake fluid flush. Hopefully that does the trick for me.

Edit - Yep, brake light switch, 2 rear sensors and fluid flush... no more lights.
Steve

Last edited:

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Sideoiler, if all else fails I have a working ABS module from an 03 wagon for sale. I am looking to get $150 plus shipping.
Feel free to PM me.

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
ABS problem solved!...

Guess what?

After removing my faulty ATE ABS module (MK60 system), it turns out it can't be rewired/fixed as I had hoped. The black plastic electronic portion of the module is completely sealed. No tabs, bolts, or screws to open up the internals.

Oh well, now I know why ModuleMaster and others don't repair the MK60 ABS units.

Luckily for me, I was able to find an exact replacement ABS module unit from a local auto dismantler for only $100. My local VW dealership wanted close to $900 to do the work (ABS module $582, labor $310).

After installing the "new" ABS module (per the steps outlined in the Bentley Service Manual), all my warning lights went away and my ABS system is working as good as new.

Overall, it wasn't a difficult task to change out the ABS module in my car, but it was time consuming and something of a PITA...

I've posted a few pictures below showing some of the "fun" I had along the way...;)

Here's the air cleaner duct hose, vacuum hose, MAF sensor connector, and original ABS module attached in the lower background.

With the ABS module now removed, here's a picture of the ABS control module connector.

I put little sandwich baggies around the disconnected brake lines to catch any brake fluid drippings.

The ATE ABS Module (ITT Mark 60 IE) removed from my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon.

This shows the factory sealed portion of the ABS module that can't be opened up...:(

This final photo shows the electronic control part of the ABS module unbolted and removed from the hydraulic portion of the unit.
Too bad it's not possible to access any electrical wiring after separating these two parts.

Last edited:

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
srponies said:
My BRAKE light is no longer lit - I replaced the brake light switch. I installed 2 rear ABS sensors, and am now on to brake fluid flush. Hopefully that does the trick for me.

Edit - Yep, brake light switch, 2 rear sensors and fluid flush... no more lights.
Steve
Whats this brake light switch? My brake light switch flashes too along with my ABS light staying on. I want to fix the flashing brake light first because it send off an annoying beep everytime i start the car and then I will get back to you about the ABS part!

GreenJetta_2003

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I think I've got the same problem. I too have an '03 Jetta TDI Wagon and one of several problems I have right now is that the ABS light is on and about a minute after turning on the car the brake light starts flashing. Due to computer issues I have not been able to read the codes using Vagcom, but if the dealer can tell me this is the issue at least now I know there are cheaper options than having them change it!