Sway bar hole too big...ideas?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hi,

might be a shot in the dark but my wifes Pontiac G5 has a rather annoying problem. Last year it got new sway bar links and now the one on the drivers side has produced an annoying sound everytime there is the slightest bump. I took it apart and discovered that the lower bolt which attaches it to the sway bar has made the hole bigger from all the ratteling around.

The only solution I've come up with is maybe a new sway bar but that would be overkill since its just that damn hole that's too big now or maybe some sort of bushing that I could slide the bolt into to bring it back to the same size!? Or some sort of rubber bushing...

...that car annoys me so much compared to my Jetta it's the biggest pile of scrap and it's 7 years younger lol.

Thanks, Bjoern

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Hi,

might be a shot in the dark but my wifes Pontiac G5 has a rather annoying problem. Last year it got new sway bar links and now the one on the drivers side has produced an annoying sound everytime there is the slightest bump. I took it apart and discovered that the lower bolt which attaches it to the sway bar has made the hole bigger from all the ratteling around.

The only solution I've come up with is maybe a new sway bar but that would be overkill since its just that damn hole that's too big now or maybe some sort of bushing that I could slide the bolt into to bring it back to the same size!? Or some sort of rubber bushing...

...that car annoys me so much compared to my Jetta it's the biggest pile of scrap and it's 7 years younger lol.

Thanks, Bjoern
Pictures would help, but how about a bigger bolt/rubber gromlet?

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Guessing at what you're looking at, but I assume larger bolts would not work with the endlinks.

How about a bushing/insert? Check Mcmaster; chances are the hole isn't round so you may have to drill it out, but you'd have to do that anyway to fit a properly sized insert.

Just guessing here, randomly wandering across this thread!

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Yeah the hole isn't round it is shaped a bit oval...I would have to take it apart again to take pictures.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Common problem on the Cobalt/G5. Links go bad, people continue to drive them around until they jackhammer the crap out of the sway bar. I have no solution for you besides a new bar. Your local GM dealer may even stock them, ours does. Same problem on the HHR (mechanically the same). They eat up front struts, too.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll have to get a new sway bar grrrrr, just want to fix that thing and then goodbye and get a Jetta Wagon instead! It's on its second set of shocks/ struts as well, even my bone stock golf mk2 "Memphis edition" would handle better than that thing, gearbox is even worse, sorry venting a little bit ;)

vwa1

Veteran Member
TDI
1982 Rabbit Turbo Diesel. I think it counts! Please don't banish me to the Vortex!
Replacement is the best option. The hole could be welded, or weld proper sized washers onto it to make it the correct size again. Not sure how I feel about welding on a sway bar though. Probably not a great idea since it's basically a spring, and springs don't like being heated so much. Edit: Also, if it's anything like the older impalas and gm minivans, it's just going to break anyway. Might as well just replace it.

Last edited:

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
There's an alternative to a replacement sway bar. Just get a replacement car!

But more seriously, you may be able to eliminate it entirely depending on how much it oversteers without it. I don't know anything about the platform, so maybe that's a stupid idea.