Franko6 ALH Stage II cam

Krzano

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GOLF TDI 5spd.
How is the startup and idle with this cam? Any fuel mileage results yet?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
How is the startup and idle with this cam? Any fuel mileage results yet?
Startup and idle are no different from stock, maybe a bit smoother.

No way for me to have meaningful MPG results.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
when i got my car it had a whine ended up being the serpentine belt tensioner, the other time my alternator pooched out, it was also whiney!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Electrical system is strong. The serpentine belt was just changed but you're right it could be something like the tensioner....

Regardless, still need to do the timing belt! I am also hoping fixing my leaky injection pump will cure my hard starts on cold mornings as everything else associated with the glow plugs has been addressed.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Electrical system is strong. The serpentine belt was just changed but you're right it could be something like the tensioner....

Regardless, still need to do the timing belt! I am also hoping fixing my leaky injection pump will cure my hard starts on cold mornings as everything else associated with the glow plugs has been addressed.
You can still have a bad bearing or one way clutch pulley on the alternator and still have a great charging system. The bearing itself doesn't change the electrical aspect (thats the brushes, regulator, and windings).

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
The cam is in but no prior metrics. I bought the deluxe timing kit from Aaron but Tom also changed one of the serpentine belt pulleys which was toast.
Also note my readings would have been al screwed up anyway as my old man intake was barely on place and the egr attachment point to the intake was leaking air as well.

Anyway it is quiet now. Pulls great from off idle but I have to break the cam in before doing any full throttle runs.

Anybody else have issues with their oldman intake ?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Our own proofs are in our ET's and fueling logs. There has been a noted reduction in EGT's. Moving slightly positive 1-2 degrees in cam timing does improve performance. That is all we know.

We don't pretend to have the end-all and be-all cam. It is a cost conscientious cam that is designed like our PD cams; improve performance without sacrificing reliability.
Frank: without giving away any proprietary secrets, could I trouble you for some background?

First of all, when you say that 1 - 2 degrees advance "improves performance" that begs the question of "at what cost" and "over what part of the operating envelope?"

How do you propose one affects this timing change? Does anyone make a cam lock ground for advance/retard (by turning over?).

Bob mentioned hardened (further??) cam followers. What is the surface condition/preparation of the cam and lifters??

Also noted some "recomnmended lube" comments by Bob. Can you elaborate (bit of a lube **** myself, so would ask you to be VERY specific).

Sorry for what may seem dumb-absent questions, but I have not been able to hang around here much in the last few years. Also, Mamma's ALH will be due for major service (second cam belt) in the Spring, and I will use that opportunity to do some minor mods (cam might be nice, pump might be needed).

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I'd set cam timing by counting the number of flywheel teeth and retarding the crank appropriately. Easy!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Frank: without giving away any proprietary secrets, could I trouble you for some background?

Pat,

I have not intentionally left you hanging, we never had a problem keeping busy and now is no different. We are happy to answer any and all of your questions... I'll answer in the body of your PM.

First of all, when you say that 1 - 2 degrees advance "improves performance" that begs the question of "at what cost" and "over what part of the operating envelope?"How do you propose one affects this timing change? Does anyone make a cam lock ground for advance/retard (by turning over?).This cam timing improvement was initially shown by Algirdas on the club. He did some work with ALH cams with a .020" taller lift. He has shown the results of back-to-back dynos. On a mildly modified engine, the advantages of advancing the timing of the cam was around 6hp. It is a problem to accurately time the cam. Even with a degree wheel, there is not much room to work, but that is the best way to get results.

Bob mentioned hardened (further??) cam followers. What is the surface condition/preparation of the cam and lifters?? If the ALH engine is driven very hard, some feel that using the PD's nitrided lifters add life-expectancy. I find that argument hard to disagree with. After all, the PD motor shows problems with a relatively small horsepower rating. It may be overkill in some circles, but it sure can't hurt to use nitrided lifters.

Also noted some "recomnmended lube" comments by Bob. Can you elaborate (bit of a lube **** myself, so would ask you to be VERY specific). Not hard to be specific... we are Joe Gibbs junkies for a very good reason. IT's GREAT STUFF! We use the Joe Gibbs assembly lube. It's a cheap and effective high-pressure grease that melts into the engine oil after you have started the engine.

We are also very happy with the Joe Gibbs BR oil. A few club members have questioned the weight, but we have been proven that the BR is the right stuff for ring break-in after an engine overhaul and most specifically, cam break-in for the finicky PD's.

Sorry for what may seem dumb-absent questions, but I have not been able to hang around here much in the last few years. Also, Mamma's ALH will be due for major service (second cam belt) in the Spring, and I will use that opportunity to do some minor mods (cam might be nice, pump might be needed).
What I can say about our under-advertised cams is they sell themselves. We have had no complaints. It is not the most aggressive cam, but we aren't trying to make 300 hp either. It is a MODERATE cam for a REASONABLE gain in performance, lowered EGT's and improvements in fuel economy. Of course, you shouldn't expect all three advantages at the same time.

Thank you for your interest. As always, we can provide complete overhaul services to the minor fixes and parts.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Took a long drive up north for work. Breathes better on the top end but I think I need to install the lift pump now.

Until I her on a dyno I won't really know, and I also recently reverted to the stock intake tube as my OMI had gotten loose, but she is running better than ever and certainly has more power than ever.

Too many variables and only one tank of gas to determine impact on mpg but I got about 47 on the last one, which had about 175 miles mostly around town and about 525 on the highway. So certainly no perceivable drop.

Most of that 175 included crappy running due to loose OMI.

Overall it is a quality piece. And like me, if one is doing a timing belt, especially using the deluxe kit from Aaron (changing tensioner, pulleys, etc.) I think it is worth the extra money to do this cam and lifters.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Franko! How's that new intake coming along.....? Waiting.... waiting.... waiting...! :>)

df

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I am bringing this one back from the past. The information in this thread lead me to purchase a Franko6 cam for my car and my girlfriend's.

I have installed mine and I too have noticed my car is a lot smoother and quieter with the installation of new lifters. My lifters were smoked and I can only imagine that the ones in my girlfriend's car are way worse.

As far as noticing differences, I can say that it does have more of a hp increase/pull based upon the butt dyno. No noticeable differences in tq, that I can easily tell anyways.

Either way, thank you for the information in this thread. It was completely valuable.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
No problem 'FX. I'm curious why your lifters/followers were toast with not many miles.

FWIW I am considering trying a Colt Stage II for comparison. I should not have sold the one I had...

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I am happy with the difference in how it runs and idles. That is the ultimate repair on my girlfriend's car. Though, I suppose saying that the factory lifters were toast is reaching. They were mildly worn with noticeable wear on the stock cam lobes as well. This is an engine I had sourced from Nova Scotia that was put in after a run away. So the mileage is estimated around 150k right now. The GFs car is incredibly noisy at idle and lower load. I am bringing her car to a local Guru for the cam/lifter replacement and to ensure all cam and pump timing is where it needs to be. :) Her car is getting to ~196k.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
So the more I drive this, and the more I get on the car, the more I like this! The cam certainly woke the car up some more and I am very pleased with the purchase!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm gonna run this cam next week also. Is it highly recommended to go with the nitrided lifters? Whats the census on lifters?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
52172, sorry I have been buried in work and then, a few family issues, an accident, my own travails...

As we have mentioned before, the idea of nitrided lifters is something we recommend only if the engine is going high performance... over 185hp. Below that, it's not wrong, but it comes down to how inexpensive the whole setup is... replacement IS and option.

Nitriding is a sacrificial coating that helps the cam break in VERY well. As a footnote, when installing our 8-lobe cam profile (ALH/ AHU/ 1Z), we don't go overboard with break-in procedure. If you like, a single change of Joe Gibbs BR and run 250-500 miles.

Footnote the footnote: The Joe Gibbs BR is also an excellent cleanout 'tonic' for a poorly maintained engine. We ran 1/2 hour on a filthy engine and the oil came out as 'glop'. It really cleaned the engine up.

Before I would consider the nitrided lifters, I'd consider some of the internals that need bolstered. In conversation with Jeff Roberts some time ago, he mentioned some 165hp builds that bent rods. Personally, we have seen that around 185, but when using high rpm tunes or nitrous, it's necessary to upgrade rods. We use the Rosten Rods and have had excellent results.

We are making very solid blocks using the ASV and the BRM oil chambered pistons. We also will use the BHW for those wanting a full 2.0 liter engine. There haven't been any issues, so far. Next addition I'd recommend is BRM oil chain/sprocket change-out for increased oiling.

In the long run, going very big has problems in the VW cylinder heads. Cracks are radiating down the injector bores that go all the way to the seats. Ask any multi-dyno winner... there are limits to every engine where durability is concerned. There are some stainless steel inserts we are designing that should help with that problem for both the ALH/ AHU and the PD motors.

We enjoy the engineering and problem-solving with mechnical issues. Every design has it's failure point and working to get the optimum is always an interesting challenge. We are posting for a couple of design improvements very soon.

Last edited:

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
I'm over a year and now 20k miles into a Frank06 ALH cam in my '01 Jetta sedan on a stock tune with 3.0 IQ (hammer mod), IP mechanical Timing adjusted to just below top range line in VCDS, PP520 nozzles, ebay 1.8T intercooler, and modified 1.8T pancake pipe, all other stock intake piping, full stock exhaust.
My best and worst economy on this car so far has been with the Frank06 cam in it but it's not the cam's fault.
Learned the hard way the VW/BBS RC 18" wheels make the car look awesome but they SUCK for mpg's... 8-10mpg highway economy loss, proven consistently over 6 months and about 10k miles on those wheels!

This car was a bone stock 1-owner car with 138k miles on it when I got it 2 years ago.
I did the PP520 nozzles and 3.0 IQ within the first 2 weeks of buying this car so I only got 1 tank of driving as a reference this car's typical stock economy.
I put 12k miles on this car before getting the cam and was getting 41-46mpg highway for me with just the PP520 nozzles and 3.0 IQ depending on a/c use and average speed, usually 65-75mph.
After the cam was installed the next 2-3 tanks were actually better, 45-48mpg.
Then the BBS wheels went on and the economy began to drop, eventually ending up at 37.9 - 40.1 mpg hwy consistently over 10k miles, 37.9 driving hard and fast with a/c blasting, 40.1 driving 10-15mph under the limit with the a/c off and the sunroof venting.
Once I finally decided to swap back to the stock wheels my economy flew back up.

Last fall once the stock wheels went back on I actually immediately started getting 48mpg at 70mph and did it several times in a row without even trying (three 800 mile tanks in a row!) so I slowed to 60mph for the following tank and got 53.6mpg, would've been a 900 mile tank but I chickened out...

Once winter finally set in I've been getting 45-48mpg highway at 70mph all winter depending on air temps/rain for ac/defrost needs. My most recent tank with at least 300 miles of ac use and lots of 75-80mph with a few triple-digit pulls in the mix netted just over 44mpg on last night's refuel...

Oh, almost forgot... I LOVE how this cam and the PP520's make my car run!!!
A) It's now quicker/faster than my buddy's wife's Prius!!!
B) My car can mostly play with my 2 ALH TDI buddies who both have Malone Stage III Custom tunes, 6-speed swaps, and other mods I don't have...
C) My car has more/better top end than they do and would likely be considerably faster with a tune...
It pulls consistently from about 1,800rpms to redline, just keeps on pulling!!!
I can pass people on the interstate and if someone tailgates me at 80mph I just floor it and cover 'em in smoke as my car pulls strong to whatever speed I want for as long as I hold the pedal down...

Now, a buddy did comment that he's never seen a TDI smoke so much but this car always has smoked a lot since I've owned it, even before the cam upgrade.

As a comparison, I just got a '03 Wagon that came with Sprint 520 nozzles (NOT PP520's) with the factory tune and no other performance mods and I "can" (kind of) feel the improvement the nozzles are providing but its' drivability really sucks overall compared to my sedan... It just doesn't go... I'm actually afraid to pull out into fast moving traffic from a stop in the wagon because it takes so long to get it up to the necessary speed... Brings back memories of the first month I owned my first Mk4 TDI.

I decided to take the wagon for my 50 mile drive to work the other night, someone ran up on me at 75mph and wouldn't back off or pass so I just floored it like I always do in my sedan, expecting to feel the strong and steady pull... To my total shock and surprise as I waited for the rush of power that didn't ever happen it was like I hadn't done anything to the throttle at all and was just cruising along on a sunday drive... Just like a stock 90hp TDI feels... No top end whatsoever, can't get out of its' own way, totally sucks even with the Sprint 520's in it... Stock tune, stock cam, stock intake/exhaust, IQ was/is 3.0 and IP timing is dead center on the middle line in VCDS, exactly as it came from the previous owner when I bought it.
Now I will acknowledge that it did slowly creep up to 90mph as I held the throttle wide open to eventually get me around the speeding traffic bottleneck so I could get over and let the jerk on my bumper pass (so close the whole time I couldn't see his headlights!!!) but talk about frustrating, stressful, and disappointing which is how I would sum up a stock ALH cam compared to the Frank06 cam in my sedan that I love driving.

I have no reference as a comparison to "brand C" and I have no idea how it's wearing in as it's only been in there 20k miles and I haven't pulled the cover to check it but so far I'm totally happy with my decision to get this cam.
As a reference, when my buddy with basically a full PD150 intake pipe setup from headlight inlet and snorkel to airbox (big MAF included) to TIP to Ebay 1.8T intercooler and upgraded sensor, modded 1.8T pancake pipe, PD150 manifold, plus Malone Stage III Custom tune, meth injection and a 6-speed swap occasionally gets to drive my car he doesn't have to think about altering his driving habits at all because my car actually does about what he's used to at all speeds for power/torque (and actually does more on the top end than his if his meth bottle goes empty) and his only "complaint" about my car (other than "it's not a wagon") is the joke that my "transmission is broken..." it seems to be missing a gear..." (6th, it's only a 5-speed...) and that there's something very wrong with my car's ASR/ESP (it doesn't have either one)... One day we traded cars, he was following me, he didn't follow as I turned left across oncoming traffic because another car was sort of coming and he was being cautious that day. As he got tired of waiting a couple of minutes later and decided to just go for it he ended up doing a burn-out in my car (without meaning to) while easily jumping across traffic to make the left turn from a stop, it made a lot of tire squeal that startled him and it still went a lot quicker than he expected, right where he wanted to go... and lots of people were staring at my blue lagoon metallic jetta easily flying across traffic into the parking lot while putting on a show... :) When I slip the clutch it spools a lot more boost and really pulls strong...

Oh, forgot to mention...
When I had the 18" VW/BBS RC wheels on the car (225/40/18 if I recall correctly, much wider/softer/stickier tires!) the car felt about like an ALH with only PP520 nozzles but it would still break 'em free from a stop and occasionally "chirp second gear" too!
On the stock Avus wheels and a stock tune this car will spin 1st, spin 2nd, and chirp 3rd from a stop if I really get on it...

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go cheap and just swap this cam over to the wagon or take the plunge to buy another Frank06 cam for the wagon instead since the wagon's coming up on a timing belt interval now anyway, I like this cam that much...
Again, I have no reference to "brand C" but for a car with basically just PP520 nozzles and a cam, it's not blazing fast like having some big turbo and custom tune mods but whenever I want it to really go it actually does, when I want to jump out into fast moving traffic (40-50mph or faster) from a total stop it easily does it, and I'm still consistently getting mid to upper 40's for highway economy the whole time, even better if I actually mellow out for a whole tank, or over 50 if I do 5-10 under the posted 70mph speed limit...

Now, I don't really care about smoke. I don't feel like something bad is wrong or that something is very broken when I floor it and see a cloud in my rear view because most people freak out and back off when you cover them in a large haze of diesel smoke (which this particular car has always done since I've owned it, even before the cam), I'm 20k miles into this cam so far and my car is still running like a champ, it normally idles somewhere between pretty smooth and damn near perfect, it's a bit loud under moderate to major load when cold but that noticeable extra clatter always goes away as it warms up and it's surprisingly quiet for a TDI at idle plus it stays quiet while cold when I just mellow out and go fairly easy on it to let it warm up...

Thanks Frank!!! :)

Last edited:

alhparty

TDI
01 golf tdi
Im looking to do this upgrade in the next couple weeks, where is the website for Frank06's products? Im looking for pricing, wanna do the lifters and cam as well :).

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have a reprofiled/chromed BEW cam in my 05PW. I wouldn't trade it for the original, even if cash was added to the trade. It's an awesome cam, with a much wider range of operation, with respect to Torsion settings. I run mine at -4.9, the original pooped out at -2.5. Frank's product is top notch- IMO after 50k miles.