Installing cylinder head and have a question

VG33T

TDI
B4 Passat
This is a 97 passat 1.9 and i don,t remember but I think there was only one alignment sleeve for the cylinder head.
Can some one please confirm this is correct? I have not been able to find anything by searching but i,m probably not doing it right.
Thanks

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
B4 Passats were born with a 1Z.

If you're worried about drop-in alignment, I think all you need are a couple of studs, which you can make by cutting the heads off your old, non-reusable head bolts. Thread them in lightly by hand, so you can back them out easily after placing the head.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
B4 Passats were born with a 1Z.

If you're worried about drop-in alignment, I think all you need are a couple of studs, which you can make by cutting the heads off your old, non-reusable head bolts. Thread them in lightly by hand, so you can back them out easily after placing the head.
Ditto ^^^

There has been a suggestion that some late B4 Passat cars got the AHU, but I've never seen one personally, and since I know that some of the 97 Mk3 cars got 1Z engines (mine has one) I will suggest that it's likely all 97 production got 1Z in the US.

First I've seen of AHU is the 1998 MY Mk3 cars.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a special alignment tool for setting the head in place. Hazet makes it. Technically it is a set of tools, two each size of alignment pegs (for each size of head bolt, but all the TDIs use the bigger type) and the removal tool.

3070 is the number, sure makes it an easy job, I use mine all the time. I think there is supposed to be two sleeves to hold the head gasket in place on that engine anyway. The older engines did not have them, hence the need for the tool.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Back to the OP’s question, I believe there is only one alignment dowel. Been a while since I pulled my head, but I believe it came from an oil galley, on the side of the motor that faces the radiator.

The earlier AAZ, 3A and I’m sure a bunch others, came with 2 pins that mounted in the ears on the side of the block, facing the firewall. This was great for aligning the HG, but I’ve also done the cut bolt method, which works fine. I believe the latter method allows for a little slop.

-Todd

VG33T

TDI
B4 Passat
Thanks everyone for your reply. I’ve got the head on the block with all the bolts in now but I haven’t torqued it yet.
I just put the one sleeve in and it kind of bothers me that I can turn the head a little with all the bolts In place. I would assume that tool would prevent this from happening.
The new head looks like it has two of the outer bolt holes drilled so that you could use two sleeves just like the ALH. I’m thinking that I will try this since I have some extras laying around from another project.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There is a special alignment tool for setting the head in place. Hazet makes it. Technically it is a set of tools, two each size of alignment pegs (for each size of head bolt, but all the TDIs use the bigger type) and the removal tool.
3070 is the number, sure makes it an easy job, I use mine all the time. I think there is supposed to be two sleeves to hold the head gasket in place on that engine anyway. The older engines did not have them, hence the need for the tool.

WHAT? your kidding me, the head gasket was not even movable on my ahu, you need a tool? its a tight AF fitment so i find it hard to believe this. also only 1 dowel OP. I was lead to believe that the b4 had various engine codes for other areas like Euro or whatever so your telling me that there is no such thing as a B4 with a AFN or AAZ from the factory, because thats not what VW says.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
WHAT? your kidding me, the head gasket was not even movable on my ahu, you need a tool? its a tight AF fitment so i find it hard to believe this. also only 1 dowel OP. I was lead to believe that the b4 had various engine codes for other areas like Euro or whatever so your telling me that there is no such thing as a B4 with a AFN or AAZ from the factory, because thats not what VW says.
If you're speaking strictly about US cars (99% of what's discussed here) then the only engine codes you need to worry about are AHU and 1Z.

AFN powered B4 cars were EU market only, they did not come to the US. If someone here starts talking about AFN in a B4 (or Mk3 even) then they're probably from outside the US. In the EU market the AFN cars got the better suspension (ala VR6) so they were closer to what we would get here in the US if we converted a VR6 car to TDI. However the engine is VNT equipped and rated at 110hp.

The AAZ never came to the US, period, not in a Golf, Jetta or a Passat. A car with an AAZ from the factory that posts up here is likely a Canadian car. It was available in Canada from 1993-1997, and these are not TDI cars.

I have heard of only one Canadian B4 Passat (now in US) with a 1.9L IDI diesel engine installed and that's it. I think even though you could get either 1.9 IDI or TDI on the Golf or Jetta in Canada in 97 that most opted for the latter. After 97 the IDI (AAZ) was gone and all Canadian Mk3 cars had only TDI option. The B4 of course was gone after 97 anyway.

Any other AAZ poster has a conversion that was likely a 1.6D before, and they acquired a 1.9 IDI engine later for conversion. This again is not a TDI. Parts Place in MI sells a lot of these 1.9L engines to people.

If I'm wrong about my history above someone please correct me.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i have 2 friends who have EU imported cars from Germany, one is a Eurovan and the other is a golf, unfortunate neither are TDI but still.
I always ask the engine code, you never know if the PO did a swap or its an import or something. I dont want to give out bad info so i ask but everyone always rips on me for asking lol, because, well, as you stated, there all 99% to be a AHU

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, if a Passat, 99% chance that it’s a 1Z .

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
i have 2 friends who have EU imported cars from Germany, one is a Eurovan and the other is a golf, unfortunate neither are TDI but still.
I always ask the engine code, you never know if the PO did a swap or its an import or something. I dont want to give out bad info so i ask but everyone always rips on me for asking lol, because, well, as you stated, there all 99% to be a AHU
Yes, you will notice I said US cars, which implies that it is exactly what VW imported through normal channels, not what happened to wander in to the country via Canada or through grey market imports.

People who have cars or engines via non-normal channels will typically tell you what they have in the initial post because they know that what they have is special, otherwise it's assumed that the person with questions about their B4 Passat are working with the 1Z engine, but either way AHU and 1Z are close enough that we don't distinguish between that around here either.

To ask if a person has an ALH or AFN is unnecessary. The AAZ is really unnecessary because this is a TDI forum and not just diesel in general. The Vortex diesel forum covers all VW diesel cars and several members field questions there as well.

And actually asking this question about different engines can confuse people who are not so familiar with the TDI cars.

The people you mentioned who've imported cars know what they have and know about those vehicles, regardless of whether they're tdi or not. They are familiar with VW's and obviously wanted something specific so they imported through non-traditional channels. The casual or newbie B4 or Mk3 TDI owner who posts up looking for help is not the person who's importing a particular VW from the EU. The latter would preface their conversation with the engine info up front because they would know that their imported car is an outlier in the US.

I'm surprised that someone actually bothered to import a Eurovan or Golf to the US. There must have been something very special about those to warrant the exorbitant costs and hassle associated with importation, especially since VW brought both those to the US via normal channels during the 1990's.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

The tool (by name) is mentioned and (poorly) pictured right in the service literature, I am not "making this up". :rolleyes: It has been around and in use since Volkswagen started making water cooled engines in the 1970s. Not exactly "new".

There is mine. I've used it often over the years. Scary to think that people work on these cars and do not even realize there is a tool for a specific job.... makes you wonder what information people are actually looking at when they attempt these things. Probably explains why so many things get messed up. :(

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i just dont see why you need it since the head gasket goes over the studs and cant move. i guess if there is no alignment shim or something but thats what gasket glue is for.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Tool is for the head installation, no? The fact that it also aligns the gasket does not make that the tools purpose.

Maybe lack of its use is the cause of timing belt walking.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Years ago, I recall Autotech Sport Tuning selling a set of 2 bushings with a beaded center. The bushing was made of thin steel and was left in place after the head was installed. The headbolts slipped through these bushings.

Kinda makes sense thinking about it. The earlier blocks didn’t have anything to align the HG or head. I used to use wood dowels... that was a long time ago...

Since then, I’ve always used cut headbolts and never had an issue. I’ve been using the same cut set, for over a decade.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gasket glue, ROFLMAO....
I rest my case. :eek:
Vince, you forgot the comedy act, namely the 'gasket glue'.
on all engines i have ever put a new HG on, i have never used a dumb tool, silly VW. i can see why it would be tricky to get it all to line up with bolts vs studs. With my AU i used ARP studs, no need for the tool or my gasket glue lol. but on many cars i have worked on, i solved this issue with gasket glue or "high tack" as some call it. A bit of this, keeps any gasket in place and your free to install what ever you need with out fear of the gasket moving. i have never had a failure other than on my "AHU- overboost ARP issue". I mean if the gasket is not going to move once tacked onto the block then once you get the head on, and the bolts in-place, it makes no difference if you used an alignment tool. it seems to me that VW insists on making work difficult and necessary for dumb crazy expensive one time use tools for most work. ive been using this stuff on just about every gasket application i have ever installed. Gasket glue, im sorry for my hick slang but thats what we call it around here. Yea know, a can of $4.00 high tack vs a stupid tool you will never use and have to put in that one drawer of other dumb VW tools you never use again because you have a better one. The only VW tool i use vs my own self made tool is the TB tensioner tool.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Head gaskets can be finicky things, especially on high compression engines.

If the manufacturer doesn't recommend glue then I wouldn't use it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Head gaskets can be finicky things, especially on high compression engines.

If the manufacturer doesn't recommend glue then I wouldn't use it.
very true, on most applications not called for it, i use it on a few points near the edges were it would be the least likly to cause an issue. i also am a fan of this product as well, i have had 100% success with it but its debated weather it did anything or not.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
i also am a fan of this product as well, i have had 100% success with it but its debated weather it did anything or not.
I just used this on my head gasket when I put my Franko6 refurbished head back on. I like it, but not sure how much it actually helps. If anything the HG looked cool before it was installed.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I just dip the gasket in pancake batter, once the engine gets up to temp smells pretty good inside the car!!

Steve