www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:30   #1
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38
Default Skid plate Rivnut fiasco

Sigh, I screwed up the first rivnut, then had five successes in a row. I then bought more rivnuts to complete the job on the intercooler side, botched them big time so now the hole is too big for rivnuts.

So for now the passenger side front support is held on with 3/8" toggle bolts. So far so good, pretty solid. Now I am thinking I should make it more solid, and my first thought is to weld the bracket to the frame rail: 2" of bead should be plenty.

But will I ever need to take it off?? Right now my solution allows me to loosen it a bunch and move it out of the way......what should I do?
Curious Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 15:45   #2
Magellan01
Veteran Member

Default Re: Skid plate Rivnut fiasco

I am glad (not really I feel for you)somebody else had a problem. I botched one of the seven and need to remove it (one of the rears). The others aren't tight yet so I plan on not screwing them up and just welding them to the chasis. I hate rivnuts.

By the way mounting a ballast for HIDs (OEM)uses rivnuts. They are hexagon shape so the rivnut will not spin as you tighten the bolt. Maybe it is because of the bolt diameter, but I wish they would have done the same for these.
Magellan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 18:52   #3
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

The actual problem with this entire project is that the hole for the rivnut is supposed to be just big enough for the rivnut to fit through. Oh yeh, I was able to get 5 to work but the holding power is not as much as the design. I know someone will disagree with this statement, I just hope they are an engineer like me, then I will send them the tech data sheet!!!

Oh, well, I figure the amount of bolts holding the 32 lb skid plate are more than enough. The rear 3 hold some weight, but more importantly they prevent the plate from being driven back. The front posts are to lift the car up and that is why they are so big.

Sigh, the project is done though....
Curious Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 19:42   #4
Old Navy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg on PU, 33 on Car

My rivnuts were tack welded in place and all bolts are removable. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2002, 18:08   #5
MOGolf
Veteran Member

I just put the skid plate on mine. I had no problem with the rivnuts.

The secret (well, not any more) to my good fortune was that I put the screw through the hole of the metal piece to be attached, then put a 3/8 inch internal tooth washer on the screw (I couldn't find any proper 10mm ones), then screwed on the rivnut. On the posts I did this for both holes and then inserted rivnuts through the holes.

The posts weren't going to twist with both bolts in the holes. I applied pressure straight up to the post, and used my impact wrench to tighten the bolt. It was quicker than trying to use a socket wrench. The washer kept the rivnut from turning.

On the rear clamp parts, I held them with a vise grip tool while tightening the screw.

My other suggestion, if you don't have a helper, is to use a floor jack with a rubber saddle such as

Balance the center of gravity of the skid plate on the jack saddle and putting it into place is reasonably easy.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote