Caliper rebuild-KIA Optima or others

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Hi all. Was hoping someone has had some expirience re-building calipers. I have rebuilt drum brake cylinders but never a caliper. I am assuming I need a brake hone, seal kit to accomplish this. I was going to remove caliper and see if i could use air pressure to eject the piston Yes/no? Normally I would just buy a new one, but I am currently unemployed and have the time to do a rebuild. The cost seems to be 80-90 bucks for a rebuilt caliper VS 11 bucks for a kit to rebuild. Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated. ( this is my girl friends car, these SNAFUS are getting her itching for a TDI........LoL.)

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
what issues are there? Sticking? Leaking? And is the piston good enough to reuse?

Blow the piston out with air, yes. Or (gently) using line pressure whilst still on the car.

Slide-pins can cause as many problems as the piston itself, check'em first before going too far...

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
DPM said:
what issues are there? Sticking? Leaking? And is the piston good enough to reuse?

Blow the piston out with air, yes. Or (gently) using line pressure whilst still on the car.

Slide-pins can cause as many problems as the piston itself, check'em first before going too far...
Had the tires replaced and found the rotors rusty and the calipers inop. If one of you fine members can post a small how to for rebuilding calipers it would be much appreciated. I will of course lube the slide pins and bleed the lines until clear once rebuild is complete. Just really need know how to remove and replace the seals and if special tools are needed. If the piston is badly pitted I will of course replace the whole caliper.