Blower motor not working in #2 position.

jjsbiggs

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 white, 1997 Passat grey
The blower on a friend's 1999.5 Jetta TDI stopped working in all modes. I pulled the switch and found that I had power to the switch and no continuity through the switch. I replaced the switch and now the blower works in each position but #2. If you use a jumper to bypass the switch you can get the blower to run on each speed. There does not appear to be any continuity through the switch in the #2 position so I picked up a second switch from the junk yard thinking that the first switch was bad but it also does not work in the #2 postion. Can the resistor pack cause the blower not to run only on one speed or am I missing something else?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
jjsbiggs said:
Can the resistor pack cause the blower not to run only on one speed or am I missing something else?
Yes. It usually knocks out on low first then second until it gets to high and that usually will continue to function. Note: resistors going out are often due to the motor getting old and needed to be replaced. Some people may try lube on the bearings, but with all the work normally to get to it I think I would just replace it.