Need help comparing VW Jetta/Golf years

ThinkingTDITO

TDI
Jetta
Hello everyone (TDI Fanatics).
I had a 2000 and a 2005 TDI Jetta and loved both cars for well everything. Mileage. Ride. Torque. Suspension...
The 2000 was permanently parked last month. The 2005 was in an accident a few years ago. Rear ended. :-(
I also have a 2003 Jetta TDI on it's last legs and costing too much to keep repairing.
I'm looking at a 2010-2014/15 TDI. May not matter of it's a Jetta or Golf. I'm not an engine person. Just enjoyed the TDIs I had and have.
Which one should I be looking at and the years? I need the great mileage and ride.
Thanks in advance.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Because of the dieselgate issue (VW cheated on emissions testing) I would only consider a 2015 car. IIRC they are the only ones currently approved for the fix. The fix is easier on 2015 cars. Read up on them and some of the other threads concerning the 2009-2015 models involved. Most of the early models of those years will be bought back and crushed more than likely. You need to do your homework before even contemplating this as the newer cars are also vastly more complicated and expensive to repair. Canada is also handling things differently than the US as well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
IMO: new tdis get garbage milage, like 35 to 38 if your lucky doe to dieselgate.
i would not recommend ANYONE to guy a newer TDI now. Many car manufacturers including mercedes and Porsche have announced dropping TDI engines and diesel engines for good. VW is hanging on by a thread and the quality of VW is getting lower and lower comparably to other cars in the same price range.

if you honestly want a VW, go with a gas engine and steer clear of TDI's, they are so much more work now with DEF and provide nothing to gain

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Really DEF is more work? All you have to do is add some every now and then (5k to 10k miles). I get that mileage city driving, highway should be higher, and I am driving a Beetle. Other cars should be better. If you want a diesel now is the time to get one. Quality is the same as it was in 2015, at least as good as any alh/bew/brm model I have owned. I bought my 2015 new and it comes with a 162k mile/11 year warranty on all the important stuff. Used will be the same minus current miles. My only reason for being with VW is the diesel engine. If I had to buy gas I would choose another brand. Each to his own though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
IMO: new tdis get garbage milage, like 35 to 38 if your lucky doe to dieselgate.
i would not recommend ANYONE to guy a newer TDI now. Many car manufacturers including mercedes and Porsche have announced dropping TDI engines and diesel engines for good. VW is hanging on by a thread and the quality of VW is getting lower and lower comparably to other cars in the same price range.

if you honestly want a VW, go with a gas engine and steer clear of TDI's, they are so much more work now with DEF and provide nothing to gain

Yes, this is certainly "garbage"

Horrible mileage, I tell ya.

You really should gather some more data before you spout off about things you clearly do not know much about.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Oilhammer, thats not stock and you know it, or is it?
everyone reports after doing the required emisisons fix, that the mileage drops below 40mpg. How much did it cost you to get that mileage and what mods? Stock bone with emissions fix with having to make sure you add DEF and them making sure you have to drive it properly and do a reclaiming all for an engine that was deamed a LIE from the federal government and is being dropped by almost all other car manufacturers is a tell tale sign is a future with out them in the USA.

If you want milage, you can get a toyota prius or some other hybrid POS. I dont hate on electrics now, they are awesome and are getting decent range on a charge and have so much power, if you can afford one.

I am just turned off to the TDI other than older engines.

IMO, less than 40mpg is garbage for a TDI as you have just proved. 50 is not a hard number to come up with even for a MK2 IDI.

oilhammer

TDI
That was recorded from a totally stock car, running the same route that I get about 51 MPG on my ALH Golf. Nothing secret. Nothing modified.

My 2010, a DSG sedan, would get consistent 47-49 on the highway. Considering it is bigger, faster, and nicer to drive than the older cars, I'd say that is pretty darn good.

Heck, my new Sprinter uses less fuel than my gasoline Passat does. :eek:

DEF and all. :p

YOU can get a Prius, I cannot. And I will not.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Your opinion is worthless in my opinion. I barely got in the low 40's in any of the alh/bew/brm's that I owned (mostly city/urban). Not everyone reports losing mileage after the fix. City mileage will suffer lower numbers but they excel on the highway. This is true for any of the alh/bew/brm/cr I have owned. Car makers dropped them just because of the stuff they are going through now due to the VW lie, and the problems that would impose on them in the future. The CR VW's were still some of the cleanest cars on the road despite the lie. I don't like that they lied, but it doesn't change anything for me about their diesel cars. As I said before a 2015 is the way to go, preferably with the EA288 engine.

oilhammer

TDI
And for the record, GM has added two new light duty diesels to the one they already had, and another is on the way for 2019.

Ford has a new one coming for 2018, with another new one scheduled for 2019.

So it isn't like diesels are "dead". The fact that the Germans are butt hurt over getting caught cheating sucks, but in other markets they are still alive and well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And for the record, GM has added two new light duty diesels to the one they already had, and another is on the way for 2019.
Ford has a new one coming for 2018, with another new one scheduled for 2019.
So it isn't like diesels are "dead". The fact that the Germans are butt hurt over getting caught cheating sucks, but in other markets they are still alive and well.

i didnt say diesels are dead, i said TDI's and alike small diesel engines for cars from other car manufacturers are dead. i did not know that the newer ones still get good mileage, i retract my statement. glad to see that they still get good mileage. So whats with all the posts recently of people reporting lower than 40mpg on emissions fixes? everyone response on those threads are basically, winter blend fuel +emissions and DEF killed it, soo im confused now.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well for starters, here is why i say what i say. i dont just take yall's word for it, i read up else where.

37.2mpg https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/how-the-volkswagen-diesel-scandal-will-affect-your-tdis-mpg-rating.html

50mpg to 46mpg drop, not so bad but still, it sucks https://www.wired.com/2015/10/vw-diesel-cheat-mode-mpg-performance/

and https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/autocar-test-shows-worse-economy-after-volkswagen-diesel-fix

more links of 40ish mpg here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94ie42RxdQ

33mpg TDCi ford focus BS lies, tales of 60+mpg https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/26/as-volkswagen-crashes-into-crisis-drivers-attack-official-mpg-figures

"The 2015 Jetta TDI, for example, gets 31 mpg city, 45 mpg highway, 36 mpg combined; the 2015 Audi A3 and VW Golf TDIs get 31 mpg city, 43 mpg highway, 36 mpg combined." http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/ct-volkswagen-diesel-scandal-faq-20150921-story.html

43mpg https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-dont-take-my-tdi-away-from-me/

"32 mpg (miles per gallon): A typical VW 2.0L diesel is rated at about 35 mpg, which corresponds to about 48 mpg on the test cycles, so 2 mpg "
https://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT-briefing_VW-fixes_USvEU_20171214.pdf

38 to 40mpg http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485450

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486171

As of 2014, VW was registered with a Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) of 34 mpg‑US (6.9 L/100 km; 41 mpg‑imp).[44] The low emissions levels of Volkswagen vehicles tested with the defeat device in operation enabled the company to receive green car subsidies and tax exemptions in the US.[45] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal

there is 10 for you, do i need more? there is plenty of posts, website articles of testing done and they all suck balls compared to 55mpg godlike fuel econ that we can get with minimalism modification or driving like a grandma, not sure why you get 55+mpg stock when everyone else is dumping the TDI left and right for this very reason and consumer reports have the same dumpy results.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dont get me wrong here, my 1Z Jetta MK3 gets 69mpg average when on the highway mostly. i see at best 59ish when i commute in it but i have lots of things done to it so

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
According to fuelly the majority of users get in the mid 40's (2003 Jetta other years alh are similar).

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2003?engineconfig_id=291&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

2015 about 2 or 3 mpg less

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2015?engineconfig_id=103&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Those getting in the 50's are outliers for the most part (all highway, ecodrivers etc...)

In the first Edmunds article they were only getting 37 mpg new to start with. Not anything like you said. They didn't even test after.

2nd link the 2015 Jetta only lost 3 mpg (53 to 50). Must have been mostly highway for those numbers anyway. 2011's will probably be crushed anyway.

3rd link "our test car’s combined fuel economy had fallen from 50.72mpg to 47.61mpg"

4th link the video states 44 mpg and pretty much unchanged.

5th link Not US and I am not doing conversions.

6th link Chicago Tribune just a long article covering the emissions cheat issue. No testing.

7th link Mostly just magazine articles.

8th link ICCT article showing a 0-3 mpg loss for the fix.

9th link is from here but deals with a 2003 Jetta getting bad mileage. Nothing to do with what we are discussing.

10th link one post from a newbie getting a 5-7 mpg loss but no details on how this was done or compared.

So most of your posts are just magazine articles and most don't agree with your point of view. Quoting the EPA numbers against what someone actually got on the road isn't valid.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well im probably the only one here on the forums who feels this way but in the real word there are LOTS of us who will never go back. I cant justify that nonsense when there are stadiums full of cars that cant be sold by federal mandate. My father for one got shafted in this mess and left a nasty taste left from it. So from our family's seat and the rest of the mechanics world we all dont like them any more. I kek'd today when i was watching a episode of Engineering Explained on the vr6 and they made a comment on the death of the TDI and how its sure the end signs. Like i said, its my opinion and im entitled to that just as you are. and to reiterate. anything less than 40mpg is garbage. most newer cars get 35-38mpg as it is, I suppose the 2015 is the cream of the new crop but still, it seems that the fact that they cant come off the line in USA and get 50mpg tested is rubbish.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They were never rated for 50 mpg so that is out. I also don't think most newer cars get 35-38 mpg. According to this:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Compact_Cars2017.shtml

Very few gas cars even get close to 30 mpg rated mileage. Most in the 24-28 mpg range. Sure there are a few that do better but not most as you say. I don't know where you keep getting your info from but it isn't correct.

Your dad didn't have to get shafted and neither did anyone else. They could for the most part (with a few exceptions) just kept their car as is and motored on with no issues. But everyone got caught up in the "VW lied" part and completely forgot what a nice car they are and that despite the one NoX issue they were very, very clean. I don't like it that they lied but it didn't stop me from getting a new 2015 at a great price and great warranty.

Hope you find another car you like other than a VW.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because of the dieselgate issue (VW cheated on emissions testing) I would only consider a 2015 car. IIRC they are the only ones currently approved for the fix.
Only 2.0L TDis not approved for a fix are manual transmission Passats. And all fixes are relatively simple. 2015s get a re-flash and an additional sensor later. 2009-2014 Golf/Jetta/Beetles get new exhaust components, a new sensor, and a re-flash. Passats get a re-flash and a new Adblue sensor.

Multiple tests (including one conducted by Car & Driver) show, as does the EPA, little or no change in fuel economy post fix. Most people here who've reported a drop in FE have later said the economy improved after driving a while post-fix, or that their initial data wasn't accurate.

Although I'm partial to the EA288 engine in the 2015 cars, I'd buy any fixed TDI. If you don't like the performance you could always have it tuned.

My '15 gets about 4 MPG less than my '02 in similar use. Neither are stock. Given the '15 is a bigger, quieter, heavier car with more power, I think it's fair to say that the FE drop for the modern cars is minimal. And with only 7,500 miles on it, the FE on my '15 is bound to improve as it breaks in.

I love my rotary pump TDIs (all three of them) but I think the '15 is a very nice car. If someone put a gun to my head and said I could only keep one car, the '15 GSW would be it. Probably. :D

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Only 2.0L TDis not approved for a fix are manual transmission Passats. And all fixes are relatively simple. 2015s get a re-flash and an additional sensor later. 2009-2014 Golf/Jetta/Beetles get new exhaust components, a new sensor, and a re-flash. Passats get a re-flash and a new Adblue sensor.

Multiple tests (including one conducted by Car & Driver) show, as does the EPA, little or no change in fuel economy post fix. Most people here who've reported a drop in FE have later said the economy improved after driving a while post-fix, or that their initial data wasn't accurate.

Although I'm partial to the EA288 engine in the 2015 cars, I'd buy any fixed TDI. If you don't like the performance you could always have it tuned.

My '15 gets about 4 MPG less than my '02 in similar use. Neither are stock. Given the '15 is a bigger, quieter, heavier car with more power, I think it's fair to say that the FE drop for the modern cars is minimal. And with only 7,500 miles on it, the FE on my '15 is bound to improve as it breaks in.

I love my rotary pump TDIs (all three of them) but I think the '15 is a very nice car. If someone put a gun to my head and said I could only keep one car, the '15 GSW would be it. Probably. :D

Lmao
Peter, you and everyone else knows, with a gun to your head, IBW stays hahaa.

Bajan

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They were never rated for 50 mpg so that is out. I also don't think most newer cars get 35-38 mpg. According to this:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Compact_Cars2017.shtml

Very few gas cars even get close to 30 mpg rated mileage. Most in the 24-28 mpg range. Sure there are a few that do better but not most as you say. I don't know where you keep getting your info from but it isn't correct.

Your dad didn't have to get shafted and neither did anyone else. They could for the most part (with a few exceptions) just kept their car as is and motored on with no issues.

Hope you find another car you like other than a VW.
Newer cars, hybrids, smart cars, smaller form factor cars, was what i meant.
My dad got the shaft right at the worst part and VW refuses and Porsche also to do anything about it and we are still in battle with a joint action lawsuit.
He ordered a 2017 Porsche Cayenne Diesel back in mid 2016, NEW from Germany. Was on the boat coming to its owner who PAID a deposit and what not, $128,500 total with the options he wanted. It gets here and as its on the dock (we track it every day) the word comes in, NO TDI's and Porsche sent us an email that it was being held and not allowed to be moved off the dock. He got stuck with a $30,000 loss on on it as they refused to buy it back full price. Legally it was not even at the dealerships ownership yet and was still property of Porsche until signed for. Thus no depreciation was needed but they still only said they would refund him the total value of the car. He never signed anything about taking ownership like you would at a dealer. No buy back for full price for him. we have about 12 others nation wide that had this issue, from the same container ship lol so were filing a class action lawsuit.

the car is sitting at a stadium and cant legally be touched.
dad worked for the navy, saved up and worked like a dog until 75yo and this was his dream car.
So yea, when a car company refuses to make good, lie, cheat, and steal from like 12 people we know of right as a fact, yea no way in hell id ever buy another TDI,

oilhammer

TDI
Newer cars, hybrids, smart cars, smaller form factor cars, was what i meant.
My dad got the shaft right at the worst part and VW refuses and Porsche also to do anything about it and we are still in battle with a joint action lawsuit.
He ordered a 2017 Porsche Cayenne Diesel back in mid 2016, NEW from Germany. Was on the boat coming to its owner who PAID a deposit and what not, $128,500 total with the options he wanted. It gets here and as its on the dock (we track it every day) the word comes in, NO TDI's and Porsche sent us an email that it was being held and not allowed to be moved off the dock. He got stuck with a $30,000 loss on on it as they refused to buy it back full price. Legally it was not even at the dealerships ownership yet and was still property of Porsche until signed for. Thus no depreciation was needed but they still only said they would refund him the total value of the car. He never signed anything about taking ownership like you would at a dealer. No buy back for full price for him. we have about 12 others nation wide that had this issue, from the same container ship lol so were filing a class action lawsuit.
the car is sitting at a stadium and cant legally be touched.
dad worked for the navy, saved up and worked like a dog until 75yo and this was his dream car.
So yea, when a car company refuses to make good, lie, cheat, and steal from like 12 people we know of right as a fact, yea no way in hell id ever buy another TDI,
Yeah, you should probably sell the one you have, delete your account here, and never come back. :p

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Edit, Buy a new TDI again* Its not the engines fault, if i could buy a new one with cash, under the table illegally or something and not have to worry about emissions on it, i would just to mess with it and get it at a steal as its a cash trade on en engine that cant be even started in the states!
i still love my mk3 rust bucket AHU and as stated in other threads, will most lilly use it as a casket when the time comes! I like working on it, no reason to leave or not buy an older one, as stated 2015 is the cream to get so to say.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well the sad part is your probably right for so many other reasons, money pic rust bucket for one lol
if anyone would even buy it lol