16955 brake light code

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
My glow plug indicator light is flashing. Scan for codes and this comes up
16955/P0571/001393 - Brake Light Switch (F): Implausible Signal
Called the dealership about the brake switch recall and he said that it was already fixed on my vehicle. So I put two new brake switches in from the parts store. I verified operation with my multimeter and both are working correctly.
All 3 brake lights work. All the running lights work.
The cruise control light comes on when I flip the switch, but it won't activate and hold my speed for me.
When I measure block 6, the brake signal block measures 110 or 111 depending on if the brake is depressed. The cruise control blocks change according to each button press and brake press.
When I clear the codes with the car off, it goes away for about 5 min, then comes back. If I try and clear the code with the engine running then it just stays there and doesn't clear.
What else could be the culprit of this code?

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
The brake lights were very dim when I got the vehicle last week. I pulled the connectors off the back of the bulb holder and also pulled the bulbs from the sockets and cleaned them all. Put them back on and the lights appeared to resume to standard brightness.

So maybe it's still a bad connection somewhere is what you're saying? I will pull it all apart again and clean it again.

Do the hatch backs have the same issue that the sedans have with the deck lid wiring harness breaking?

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Some LED bulbs will cause the blinking glow plug light. Never chased down the code or attempted to use cruise control, but replaced with different LED bulbs from deautokey.com.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Do the hatch backs have the same issue that the sedans have with the deck lid wiring harness breaking?
Yes. By this age, the wiring insulation cracks where the wiring goes through at the upper corners, and ultimately the wires give up along with the cracks.

Cheers,

PH

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
So I checked for breaks in the wiring where the wires pass through the grommet to the hatchback. no problems there.

I pulled the tail light holders off and did a thorough cleaning and scraping of all the bulb contacts. I also cleaned the connectors that attach to the tail lights and the connector that runs up to the third brake light. I also resoldered all the connections on the third brake light circuit board. All the lights work.

What other conditions make that code come up?

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
So backing up tonight, I noticed my reverse lights do not work. Might be related but probably not. I will dive into this further tomorrow. Also going to fetch my bently service manual from my buddy for a wiring schematics

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
I checked fuse 7 and it was fine. Figured I should probably pull every fuse out and check to make sure they are all good. Did so and they were all fine.

Noticed fuse 43 "engine control elements" was missing... replaced it and the glow plug light stopped blinking, code went away, and now the cruise control works!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well that's an interesting fix. Glad you got it taken care of!

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I checked fuse 7 and it was fine. Figured I should probably pull every fuse out and check to make sure they are all good. Did so and they were all fine.
Noticed fuse 43 "engine control elements" was missing... replaced it and the glow plug light stopped blinking, code went away, and now the cruise control works!
So did the fuse just fall out? That seems a bit odd, no?

Skimaster

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 1.9T
I mean, the previous owner desoldered the glow plug light, and put TP in front of the check engine light, so it's not that weird I guess. Maybe he blew an essential fuse and needed to steal one from another circuit so he could drive it home, and then forgot to replace it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Fuse 43 feeds the brake light switch, ECM and a few other relays.