Engine wiring harness compatibility

Baratis

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
So lately I've been running into loads of issues with wires in the engine harness basically just disintegrating. I'm at the point where I just want to get the whole thing replaced. Haven't found any early alh harnesses on the web so I'm just wondering if the later harness is compatible. If not, where does one buy an earlier harness?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The only problem there might be if the harness you buy is as old as your it may be as fragile as yours.
If they wrap it up to ship it that alone could break up the insulation.

If you are up to it if you did get a used harness cheap enough you could peal the sheeting off and change the wires one by one.

You would need several roles of different wire, the tool to remove the wires from the sockets, a soldering pencil, and good solder.

I always swore by Radio Shack solder. (one of the few things they had that I liked)
Do not use acid core solder, use rosin solder.
Acid core is for plumbing.

You would be able to re-do the used one while still driving the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 1999 ALHs are a bit different than the later cars, and there is an early and late version of the '99!

I doubt either are still available new, but you can certainly call a dealer and have them run a locator:

038-971-610-AP or 038-971-627-A (need to verify with VIN, I just assumed your '99.5 is a German Golf with a manual like mine :p ).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Out of curiosity I searched the numbers and the second was available through VW. $200.00 not so bad. Even if it is different it should be similar enough to justify changing any plugs, or adding any wiring necessary to make it work...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk