www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 16th, 2019, 22:32   #61
JesseTDI

I hear ya, I actually work for a tier one supplier. We weld together all of the unibody components then send them over to the Ford plant for assembly. We have to build everything to fords spec. Seems to me the engineers like to make things as difficult as possible to work on so that service departments make more money OR the entire vehicle gets replaced.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 22:37   #62
JesseTDI

A lot of time those bolts are threaded into blank fasteners that are welded to the unibody, there aren't even threads in them to begin with. The bolts themselves cut the threads into the blank (probably do use threadlocker to lubricate the bolt though) upon assembly.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 06:29   #63
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Reallllllyy late on this comment, but considering Jiffy Lube is owned by Shell, I'm not surprised they pay literally nothing for oil. NAPA's price is back to normal, so I'm assuming that $5 sale was a loss-leader.

As for me, until my warranty is up, I'll continue to get $80 oil changes from my dealer. As much as I hate to admit that.

Also, I'm curious about GM's new 0W-40 Corvette (dexos2) oil that has MB 229.51 approval: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenge...il-1-ESP-0W-40
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; November 17th, 2019 at 06:43.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:30   #64
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post

As for me, until my warranty is up, I'll continue to get $80 oil changes from my dealer. As much as I hate to admit that.

Also, I'm curious about GM's new 0W-40 Corvette (dexos2) oil that has MB 229.51 approval: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenge...il-1-ESP-0W-40
Instead of being embarrassed by dealership oil changes, do them yourself. It won't void your warranty.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 08:40   #65
andreigbs
Veteran Member

That new M1 oil looks delicious. Might have to give it a try in my Bluetec.
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
1986 Golf Diesel // 224xxx miles // 48 MPG - totaled
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 09:50   #66
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Instead of being embarrassed by dealership oil changes, do them yourself. It won't void your warranty.
I'm not embarrassed. The Mk7 is a pain in the ass to change its oil without a lift, and even then, it's a messy annoyance compared to previous gens.

For a mere $30 premium over the cost of hunting down the oil myself, I can take a nap while my dealer does it. I do all the other maintenance (sans DSG) myself.

I do realize I'm lucky to have a dealer that's competent. And with a good relationship, the tech offered to install my Alltrack skid plate at no charge when they did my Phase 2 since they were disassembling it all anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
That new M1 oil looks delicious. Might have to give it a try in my Bluetec.
And it should be easily found at any Chevy dealer and maybe cheaper online with a GM part number.

EDIT: On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil1-123875.../dp/B07MXPNH7S

And TASCA for $7/qt: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/gm-oil-19353135

Mobil Part Number (6qt Case): 123875
GM Part Number: 19353135

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; November 17th, 2019 at 10:04.
Old November 17th, 2019, 10:56   #67
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
I'm not embarrassed. The Mk7 is a pain in the ass to change its oil without a lift, and even then, it's a messy annoyance compared to previous gens.

For a mere $30 premium over the cost of hunting down the oil myself, I can take a nap while my dealer does it. I do all the other maintenance (sans DSG) myself.
It's a shame they had to move the filter to a bottom-side arrangement. But I've done dozens of messy bottom-side oil changes without a lift- not that big of a pain really. It's the waiting at the dealership that kills me. I remember waiting over twenty minutes at the dealer for my first complimentary oil change on my '11. When I saw they hadn't even brought the car into a bay yet I left and didn't return until buyback day.
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:12   #68
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's a shame they had to move the filter to a bottom-side arrangement. But I've done dozens of messy bottom-side oil changes without a lift- not that big of a pain really. It's the waiting at the dealership that kills me. I remember waiting over twenty minutes at the dealer for my first complimentary oil change on my '11. When I saw they hadn't even brought the car into a bay yet I left and didn't return until buyback day.
Great! Mind if I also keep my jack and toolbox at your house, and use your garage? Also, I work nights at a level 1 pediatric trauma center, so I’m usually wide awake around 2 am. Hope you don’t mind, and your garage is well lit!

Or I could just pay an extra $30, and not have to worry about working on my car in a parking garage.
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:37   #69
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Sorry, my toolshed is pretty full at the moment . I understand that most people aren't inclined to do their own oil changes, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just sounded to me like warranty concerns were the main reason you were having the dealer do the changes.
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:13   #70
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, my toolshed is pretty full at the moment . I understand that most people aren't inclined to do their own oil changes, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just sounded to me like warranty concerns were the main reason you were having the dealer do the changes.
Oh no! Just that not until the warranty is over, all that stuff is getting ripped out in favor of a Stage 3. And the freedom to use said 0W-40.

In the mean time, I’m stuck in Hartford.