Is there an Emergency hold on the 2.0 Gen 2 fix??

zcontest

TDI
2013 Passat
Took my 2013 Passat into the dealer last Tuesday for the fix, and got a call later that day that said they had to stop as VW just put an emergency hold on Gen 2 fixes. They found out about it when putting the vin number in on Tues, but no such warning when they checked it the week before.

I was told that it was due to reports of post-fix Gen 2's shutting down intermittently after sustained driving around 80mph. They said it was new, they did one a few days before and did not get the warning.

Anyone hear anything about this?

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
Another person posted this same rumor.

My fixed car seems fine, but maybe I am not doing exactly what is needed to replicate the issue.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I was told it was the Gen 3 Phase 2, but I have had the Phase 2 completed for about a week and a half. No issues so far, but like you, I haven't had a chance to trigger it either yet.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I was told it was the Gen 3 Phase 2, but I have had the Phase 2 completed for about a week and a half. No issues so far, but like you, I haven't had a chance to trigger it either yet.
I heard there was a shortage of parts for phase 2 of gen 3, but not some hold.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The OP has a gen 2 passat, not gen 3. If that is the cause of the hold, i feel better because i very rarely exceed 75 mph and definitely not for long periods of time.

zcontest

TDI
2013 Passat
The OP has a gen 2 passat, not gen 3. If that is the cause of the hold, i feel better because i very rarely exceed 75 mph and definitely not for long periods of time.
Indeed.

The actual text from the work order that I got from the dealership says:
"23U4: 2.0L TDI Engine (Gen 2 Automatic transmission) Emissions ModificationUse of Inform Tool Required [tech name redacted]

Unable to complete, repairs on emergency stand still"

I would have scanned it in but I am too daft to get the uploader to accept my picture.

They told me that they would call me as soon as they hear something, but I am curious as to why no one else has heard about this, considering the reason they gave verbally.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Do you have a loaner while VW sorts out the issues or did they give you the car back and said come back later?

Gen2 fixed cars have been out on the roads for quite some time, while the pool of cars isn't huge, there haven't been a rash of issues other than maybe a little hit in MPG.

zcontest

TDI
2013 Passat
Do you have a loaner while VW sorts out the issues or did they give you the car back and said come back later?

I got my car back, and "we'll call you." He said the warning came up when he put my vin# into the software tool to begin the process, so they must not have had to stop in the middle of anything permanent that would make them keep the car.

I am just hoping to get some confirmation if this is real, a misunderstanding, or some 11th hour hoogery-boogery so I can plan my next steps as time is running out on this.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that's better than those handful of Gen1 DSG cars that puke errors when the DSG was being updated, and owners were stuck with a loaner for a month or so.

Keep pressure on the dealer and possibly inquire with VWoA, not saying that it'll expedite your cause but still have it documented.

zcontest

TDI
2013 Passat
that's better than those handful of Gen1 DSG cars that puke errors when the DSG was being updated, and owners were stuck with a loaner for a month or so.

Keep pressure on the dealer and possibly inquire with VWoA, not saying that it'll expedite your cause but still have it documented.

Indeed, and thank you for your advice, it is wise.

I called claims portal to say the dealer couldn't install the fix due to a hold. She offered to schedule an appointment through her system, but put in my claim number and it wouldn't let. After being on hold for a few minutes, she confirmed that there was a stop on the emissions fix, there was no ETA, and to expect communication from VWoA when this is resolved.

I just find it strange, if it is serious enough to put a hold on it, how is it not serious enough to notify anyone who is an affected party? (whatever subset of the cars out there are, I presume it is not all.)

The funny thing is I waited as long as I could in order to ensure all of the short therm hiccups were solved and no long term bugs appeared!

lagunagadgetman

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEl
I took my 2013 Passat SEL TDI 2.O, gen. 2 in and asked the dealer if they had heard anything about a hold on the fix for it. They said "no", but when they tried to access my claim for the fix they found the alert placing the fix on hold.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

lagunagadgetman

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEl
I spoke with VW yesterday and they confirmed that the Gen 2.0 2012-2014 fix has been placed on "pause" (their words). VW discovered a problem back in September. They placed the fix on hold recently while they wait for authorization to implement the revised fix. I have been told that an email will be sent out with an explanation to owners who have submitted approved claims. They could not say when this will happen except to say that it will be soon.
They also said that the ability to switch to the buy back option is no longer available as of Sept 30th. It seems that VW held back information that many people would have acted upon prior to the Sept 30th deadline had they known that the fix had issues significant enough for VW to place it on hold and seek re-authorization with a new fix.