Gen 1 cars on the market question

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Can some one tell me what is going on with all the Gen 1 cars on the market right now? Are all these cars being pulled and fixed from the big storage lots or are them just the cars that are fixed right after buyback at the stealerships? Any idea how long the steady supply of these cars will be on the market?

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is going to be a mixture of all of the above.

Private sales. People sell their cars all the time. Some might be fixed ... some might not be.

Used car dealers (not VW dealers). As above.

VW dealers aren't likely to sell any unfixed; this is where there is a high probability that cars sold through a VW dealer were bought back and fixed. If it is for sale by a VW dealer as "certified pre-owned", those would have already been fixed. Maybe the dealer opted to take the car and fix and sell it themselves ... maybe it went to a storage lot first. Could be either way. No way to know what proportion but my understanding is that VW wants so much money for these cars for the dealer to keep the car for fixing and resale that dealers generally aren't doing it. Off to the storage lot it goes, except maaaaaaybe for the absolute cream puffs.

Not "ALL" of the cars in storage are going to be fixed. It will most likely only be late model low mileage ones that are complete and require minimal unrelated repairs (and minimal reversing of previous-owner modifications). No one knows what percentage of the total will end up being re-sold versus being shredded. (my guess is a third to half, probably almost all of the 2015s, probably almost none of the 2009-2010s)

The total market for TDI cars back when they were available new was +/- 50,000 per year. Even if they only fix and sell a third of what they bought back, it would take a couple of years at that rate. Some time has already passed since it became possible for VW to start fixing and reselling them. Bear in mind that a 2015 model that they sit on for a couple-ish of years from now before selling will be a 5 year old car by that time ... The longer they sit on it, the less $ they can recover, but that has to be balanced against flooding the market, and VW seems to be well aware of this, by only slowly releasing them for resale.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
Not "ALL" of the cars in storage are going to be fixed. It will most likely only be late model low mileage ones that are complete and require minimal unrelated repairs (and minimal reversing of previous-owner modifications).
I keep seeing comments that VW will crush older Gen1 with high miles and only sell the later year models but if you look at the listings in Auto Trader, Cars.com etc etc....there is plenty of 2011 and 2012's and many have very close to 100k miles and some even more.

I find hard to believe vw will not scan all the storage lots and start pulling out the "easiest to sell" gen 1 cars even after them being stored for 2+ years, I mean even if they have to invest some money on putting back to retail sell standards it still better than no money for these cars?

and by the way the bast majority of the Gen 1 on the market as of right now are sold by vw dealerships, very very few independent dealers and almost no private sellers.

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Can some one tell me what is going on with all the Gen 1 cars on the market right now? Are all these cars being pulled and fixed from the big storage lots or are them just the cars that are fixed right after buyback at the stealerships? Any idea how long the steady supply of these cars will be on the market?
This PDF should help to answer some questions.

http://images.adesa.com/publicweb/v...7-TDI-DIESEL-LAND-PG-FLYR-INFO-BOOKLETv03.pdf

For more info see:
http://images.adesa.com/publicweb/volkswagen-audi/

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I keep seeing comments that VW will crush older Gen1 with high miles and only sell the later year models but if you look at the listings in Auto Trader, Cars.com etc etc....there is plenty of 2011 and 2012's and many have very close to 100k miles and some even more.

I find hard to believe vw will not scan all the storage lots and start pulling out the "easiest to sell" gen 1 cars even after them being stored for 2+ years, I mean even if they have to invest some money on putting back to retail sell standards it still better than no money for these cars?

and by the way the bast majority of the Gen 1 on the market as of right now are sold by vw dealerships, very very few independent dealers and almost no private sellers.
The junkyard across the street from my work has been doing a brisk business crushing Gen1 cars for a while. Given how most people treat their cars I am not surprised.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Just because a car is being offered for sale as a used car by a VW dealer does not mean it went through the buyback and auction process given in the above post (great info, by the way).

It may have been:
- a car that a previous owner had the emissions modification done, and then traded it in on a new car - same process as any other used car. (Highly likely)
- a car that a previous owner had NOT had the modification done and for whatever reason didn't go through the buyback process. It's too hard for some people. The process may be too lengthy for whatever reason. So, they just trade the car in. The dealer does the modification and offers it for sale.

I'm sure some 2011 - 2012 models that went through buyback but are in prime condition, despite higher mileage, will be offered as "normal" (cheaper) used cars as opposed to "certified pre-owned", which is only for low mileage late models.

For the older ones, there is a business decision to make.
- Start with the $ the car could be sold for. In the case of a 2009, which is currently a 9 year old car, with very high mileage ... that's not going to be a particularly large number to start with.
- Subtract the cost of fixing what's wrong with it. Doesn't have to be emissions related. Just the normal "car stuff". Brakes, clutch, battery, suspension and steering parts, etc. A 9 year old car with high mileage is probably going to have stuff wrong with it.
- Where applicable, subtract the cost of "putting it right". If someone swiped all the alloy wheels, hopefully there's a donor car sitting next to it. If someone put on slammed suspension and deleted emissions components that aren't related to the fix ... that could be expensive. If it has body damage or interior damage (and lots of 9 year old cars will) ... that's another expensive line item.
- Subtract the cost of doing the emissions modification.
- Subtract some number which represents the anticipated cost of supporting the extended warranty.

If this is a negative number ... it's worth more dead than alive.

craigmccormick

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
I can shed some light on this. I got my dealer license this summer as a hobby. Adesa Canada (wholesale dealer auction) has sold hundreds of 2011-2014 Jetta TDi's in the last 2 months and they tell me there are thousands more to come. There are a small number of Golf's & Beetles but predominantly Jetta's. They are selling them in Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver. These are being bought up by independent dealers and VW dealers as well. I bought 5 so far for friends & family members. Prices are exceptionally good simply due to the huge supply.
The cars have had the emissions update and come with Extended Emissions Warranty for an additional 4.5 years/87,000 kms from the date of the re-programming on all emissions components, including turbo, glow-plugs, entire fuel system, entire exhaust gas after-treatment system, EGR system and "any malfunction detected by the OBD system other than those related to the transmission".
All the cars I've seen so far have been relatively low kms, most are 60,000-120,000. Highest I've seen was 154,000km.
...Craig
Nova Scotia, Canada

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I can shed some light on this. I got my dealer license this summer as a hobby. Adesa Canada (wholesale dealer auction) has sold hundreds of 2011-2014 Jetta TDi's in the last 2 months and they tell me there are thousands more to come. There are a small number of Golf's & Beetles but predominantly Jetta's. They are selling them in Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver. These are being bought up by independent dealers and VW dealers as well. I bought 5 so far for friends & family members. Prices are exceptionally good simply due to the huge supply.
The cars have had the emissions update and come with Extended Emissions Warranty for an additional 4.5 years/87,000 kms from the date of the re-programming on all emissions components, including turbo, glow-plugs, entire fuel system, entire exhaust gas after-treatment system, EGR system and "any malfunction detected by the OBD system other than those related to the transmission".
All the cars I've seen so far have been relatively low kms, most are 60,000-120,000. Highest I've seen was 154,000km.
...Craig
Nova Scotia, Canada
Care to post some price results? Thx

craigmccormick

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
I'm restricted from sharing confidential auction information but I can say that from what I've seen, the retail lots are marking these up about $4,000 on average. PM me for more details.

It's really the extended warranty that makes these such a good deal (see my previous post).

As you know, these cars have been parked for a while so the brakes are crusty and some will need a battery but they are otherwise in very good condition. I'm assuming VW has culled the lot and done something else with the damaged & high-mileage ones. Can anyone confirm this?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I'm restricted from sharing confidential auction information but I can say that from what I've seen, the retail lots are marking these up about $4,000 on average. PM me for more details.
It's really the extended warranty that makes these such a good deal (see my previous post).
As you know, these cars have been parked for a while so the brakes are crusty and some will need a battery but they are otherwise in very good condition. I'm assuming VW has culled the lot and done something else with the damaged & high-mileage ones. Can anyone confirm this?
I have a 2014 Comfortline DSG with 160,000 kms still needs to go for the fix. So I am contemplating gettting the fix and then sell it and seeing what's going thru the auction e.g. VW TDI Highline?

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
2010 was bought back today. My rep said it was in good shape but the 09/10s are being crushed. He said the 11/12s are going to auctions post fix.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 was bought back today. My rep said it was in good shape but the 09/10s are being crushed. He said the 11/12s are going to auctions post fix.
Its a real shame that, compared with the MK6 Jetta, the MK5 jetta a more beautiful, well equipped and overall a superior platform, most will be crushed.

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2009 Q7 2010 A3
VW has been in touch with me recently since they lost my title, requesting a POA. That got my curiosity up that evidently nothing has happened to my 2009 Q7 that I sold back nearly 2 years ago. Evidently it is set to go to auction next month. According to the VIN check, repair modifications have not been done to it yet. It had over 250K miles on it, CAT/EGR/Adblue delete and tune. and AC compressor was toast. I can't imagine how they plan to make any money on it, but I'm going to try to see who i can find to bid on it for me, I would love to have it back for pennies on the dollars they paid me. :D