Wmo?

Biggles48

TDI
MKIV Jetta and a military diesel, used to have a MKI rabbit N.A.
Can a TDI run on waste motor oil and diesel like the older diesels and trucks can?

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I'm sure the injection pump would not like it....try searching in the *alternative fuels*....see what ya come up with

Biggles48

TDI
So do they have a photo sensor like the newer diesel trucks or are they just that finicky? If these things can't handle it then i should probably be shopping for a rabbit with a 1.6 I know those run great on oil.

Biggles48

TDI
Finicky in their fuel system? My m1009 runs better on a 50-50 split than it does on pump diesel. I'm told this is because it was not designed for the low sulphur fuel that we are sold today and the filtered/cleaned WMO puts some lube back in the fuel that you would normally have to buy an additive to accomplish.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Your CUCV may run better today, but what are the long term effects of a thicker fuel with contaminates? I sure don't know. Does it balance with the higher lubricity? Again, I don't have data so take it all with a bag of salt.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
One big concern is coking up and sticking the piston rings. That may take a while to show up. There are lots of things in used lube oil that do not burn completely and form tough deposits.

Biggles48

TDI
I'm filtering the WMO before burning it for fuel and while I've only been doing it for a little while I know of guys (through the interwebs) who have been doing it for a long long time I just don't know of anyone doing this in an engine this new, although there is a company that sells a WMO filtering kit that claims it will work safely in any engine older than 2006. I don't really believe that. They are trying to sell peoPle an absurdly overpriced filter setup.

Biggles48

TDI
One big concern is coking up and sticking the piston rings. That may take a while to show up. There are lots of things in used lube oil that do not burn completely and form tough deposits.

That was exactly the problem guys started having trying to run 100% WMO in their CUCV's from what I understand. If I remember correctly after a while they started having problems with coking. Trial and error was done and a 50-50 split was determined to be a good mix for that engine. I merely researched it and copied other people's work.

thegoatc

TDI
I do not own one yet
I am very curious in what this might come to. There is not a lot of good information on burning WMO some say it is good some say coking is a problem.......... has anyone actually ran WMO for an extended period and broke down the motor and looked to see if there is any ill effect?

Everyone and there dog said it could not be done with VO because of exactly what is being said about WMO and I have personally seen the inside of a "properly ran" VO pickup and the internals were cleaner then any others I have seen.

Just my 2 cents

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Every TDI that has been run on WVO that was taken apart on here had severe gunk buildup on the piston rings. I am sure WMO will be quite similar.

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
Ive been running a 10% mixture of WMO for awhile and haven't had anything bad come from it. I run it to lube the pump better. Cheaper than power service.

I have a 83 IDI that i run 50/50 in and it loves it.

I also have a Deuce and A Half (M35A2C) I run it on 100% WMO ;)

Biggles48

TDI
I paid taxes on the WMO I turned into fuel, all you have to do is keep track of the amount you make, my buddies in little rock have a big wvo collective, it's more complicated for them because they all have to keep track of the fuel they use individually and pay their taxes, don't worry if someone wants to be legal I promise the government has a way for you to pay your taxes.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I paid taxes on the WMO I turned into fuel, all you have to do is keep track of the amount you make, my buddies in little rock have a big wvo collective, it's more complicated for them because they all have to keep track of the fuel they use individually and pay their taxes, don't worry if someone wants to be legal I promise the government has a way for you to pay your taxes.
Good for you!

Please post exactly how you go about paying road fuel tax on WMO in Illinois. No-one has ever actually posted this procedure which I am sure exists. There was one fellow that was going to have his accountant look into it, but he just kept forgetting to actually do it.

If you could post the form number or a link that allows one to print the proper form it would be a great help to those members in Illinois that want to 'get legal'.

Thanks

Bill

Biggles48

TDI
I initially went into the IRS office in Springfield and started asking around it took me forever to actually get answers, I'll dig out my taxes tomorrow and look at the form number but it worked the same way as when you pay taxes on a cash/under the table job, it's pretty much the honor system until you get audited. I'll find it tomorrow.

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
So at the risk of starting an all-out flame war, I'm just wondering what needs to be done to run WMO in a 2006 PD engine. I have access to WMO, I'm already filtering it down to 5 microns for use in another (older) vehicle, but I'd like to be able to use a small percentage in the TDI (10-25%.) So, would filtering down to 1 micron be sufficient, or would a centrifuge setup to get down to sub-micron filtering be necessary? Just looking for input from anyone who's done it and had any success.

strick9

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon
Ive been running a 10% mixture of WMO for awhile and haven't had anything bad come from it. I run it to lube the pump better. Cheaper than power service.

I have a 83 IDI that i run 50/50 in and it loves it.

I also have a Deuce and A Half (M35A2C) I run it on 100% WMO ;)
Oh man, the Deuce and a Half! Love it! We had a yellow one of those we ran at our fire department in CO that we called Big Bird. It was our wild land truck. It was UNSTOPPABLE. The other thing we used it for was pulling other fire trucks out of ditches. We always took great pleasure in using the 20 year old truck to pull out fancy scmancy $400k trucks with their auto-chains.

joe4324

TDI
99.5 A4 ALH
I second this opinion, I have burned all manner of 'fuel' in several types of motor. I know a guy whom for a couple years has been running around in a 67 Mercedes using up to 50/50 WMO for a few years now. He just runs it through a slow-sand filter first and straight into the tank as a blend.

In my experience WMO just isn't worth it. It smells like doom, and bombs your Fuel Filters in a third of the time. Maybe 5% for lubricity if you want. But I'm just not enamored with it.

yes, it's a diesel : it will burn.

question is, For how long until problems arise?

oh-man67

TDI
2002 jetta
I'be been running a 50/50 mix of clean diesel and used atf and wmo for probably 6 months. I filter it real well and use stuff that's synthetic to start but I haven't had any issues. I'd venture to say it has slightly more power but that might just be cuz its free. Same mileage and no extra smoke. I've heard of cords doing 90% used but I won't put in my 6.0. I have and 02 alh but wished I had an older one due to the electronic of the pump. Good luck, I take no responsibility for any damage, just saying I haven't had any issues.