Audi A8 3.0 TDI 24valve common rail

2fastdre

Veteran Member
Wow, this 3.0 TDI V6 is amasing. You can read about it here:
Audi A8 3.0 TDI

All I can say is 450 NM at 1400 rpm and 7.8 sec 0-60. 7.8 seconds is probably passimistic, since manufactures always say conservative figures. Otherwise, I am speechless.

2FastDre.

S

SkyPup

Sure would like to have that engine in my 4WD pickup or my Jeep.

Otto_von_Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Thanks for the link.

Did anyone notice that the 3.0 liter TDI is faster from 0 to 60 than the 3.0 liter gasser?

Ha-Hae
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
But it only gets 31 mpg (Imperial) or 26 mpg US. You can probably do this well with a gas car. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

2fastdre

Veteran Member
Well, actually the 3.0 gasser does 29.4 mpg and the the 3.0 TDI does 31.7 mpg in the same A8. (these mpg is imperial - I believe). The TDI has a couple more horses and 150 more NMs! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Also note that the gasser has a CVT and the TDI has a 6 speed tiptronic.

Put this engine into the Touareg for those of us who cannot find $50K for a V10 version. Or stick it into a Passat Wagon!

2FastDre.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
It is impressive, but the torque figures are lower than both the BMW 3.0 6-cylinder and the MB 3.2 6-cylinder, plus the mpgs for the MB are higher. The MB will also be sold here in the USA next year - good luck on the Audi. Also, the AMG version of the C270CDI, with a 3 liter 5-cylinder engine, has 90Nm more torque and the same HP. I am not dissing the Audi, just comparing it to the competition, which other people will do as well.

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Ibiza Sport 130hp TDI Black
Sorry - just read the article (should have done that first). The new 6 cylinder 3.0l TDI is addition to the existing 4.0l V8 TDI.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
jck66 said:
But it only gets 31 mpg (Imperial) or 26 mpg US. You can probably do this well with a gas car. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where the cost of the fuel comes into play. If gasoline is about U.S. $4.40 per gallon in a particular country and Diesel #2 is only U.S. $3.00 per gallon, that's a payoff in fuel costs no matter the mileage being equal between the gas and diesel engine.

gredi

Veteran Member
Assuming that this engine is a 3/4 version of the 4.0 TDI, I offer the following for viewing. 81mm bore, 95.5mm stroke, 2.953 liter displacement, 78.9 HP/Liter & 112.43 lb.ft/liter. As far as I know, only the 150 HP TDI betters it on HP/liter. There are several different engines that better the torque/liter. The one thing I find very cool is the torque peak range from 1,400 to 3,250 RPM. Can't wait to see one in a Jetta. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
It is interesting to note that this 3.0 V6 produces more HP (230, or 233 PS) than the 3.3 V8 /images/graemlins/eek.gif, which develops 225 HP.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
[ QUOTE ]
VWannabe said:
It is impressive, but the torque figures are lower than both the BMW 3.0 6-cylinder and the MB 3.2 6-cylinder, plus the mpgs for the MB are higher. The MB will also be sold here in the USA next year - good luck on the Audi. Also, the AMG version of the C270CDI, with a 3 liter 5-cylinder engine, has 90Nm more torque and the same HP. I am not dissing the Audi, just comparing it to the competition, which other people will do as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that they probably limited the V6's torque for the Tiptronic tranny.

A flat 332lbft of torque from 1400 all the way to 3200, while at the same time surpassing EU4 emissions standards with UNTREATED exhaust, is a pretty good indicator that the torque is artificially limited.

I expect the engine can put out close to 400lbft of torque while maintaining relatively clean emissions (maybe no EU4 but still quite clean).

VWannabe

Veteran Member
I would love to see this engine mated to the DSG, therefore they would not need to limit the torque! I want to see a head-to-head comparison of this vs my dream car, the AMG C30 CDI. That car produces 400 lb-ft of torque with a 3-liter 5-cylinder engine, with 231 hp to boot. May the best oil burner win!!!

Willy den CGI

Veteran Member
Or the new Ford V8 at 3,6 liter and some 275 hp. ...

Ford V8 Diesel to be Made at Dagenham

Ford is planning a V8 version of the new V6 lion diesel engine.

The new engine will be manufactured at Ford's Dagenham engine plant with a planned capacity of 25,000 units a year. It will be assembled in the same hall as the new V6 Lion engine.

Like its stable-mate, the Lion V6, the new V8 is a joint operation. Unlike the Lion, which is a joint venture with PSA Peugeot Citroen, the new V8 has a development partner in the form of International Truck and Engine Corporation (formerly Navistar) of the US. Navistar has its own design for a V6 and V8 engine - the Powerstroke. Ford in North America uses the V8 Powerstroke in its light-duty F-Series trucks, but the V6 Powerstroke has yet to make it to the production line. It has been suspended pending a further decision.

The new Ford V8, designed and developed mainly by Ford engineers in Aachen, Germany, has already been tested. Plans call for up to 100 prototype engines to be built for further development and evaluation. Like the V6 Lion, the new V8 will use compacted graphite iron (CGI) for the cylinder blocks. Tupy in Brazil, which uses SinterCast process control technology, will supply the V8 blocks. The new engine will use features similar to those in the V6, but with some significant differences. The engine is likely to have a piezo common rail fucl injection system from SiemensVDO, as well as twin turbochargers from Garrett. It will retain twin assernbled camshafts for each bank of cylinders, but the drive for the camshafts is likely to be different from that adopted for the V6.

The expected production volume is likely to be modest. At this stage, an annual output of 20,000 units has been pencilled in from an installed capacity of 25,000 units annually. If additional vehicle programmes could be found in North America, volumes could be increased. It is conceivable that the engine could even be manufactured in North America. The V8, with a swept volume of 3.6 litres, should deliver 275 bhp and 575 Nm of torque. These are equivalent to 76 bhpllitre and 160 Nmjlitre. Higher power and torque are possible in the future. Officially, Ford managers, while admitting to a W-engine farnily" in the context of the V6 range, point out there are "no plans" for a V8 turbocharged diesel. (jm)

From the last issue of AutoTechnology - page 11.
( on page 16 more about CGI/Jaguar S-type.)