2002 Ford Ranger FX4 VW 2.0L TDI Build

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
My father and I have decided on a project for us to build together.
We really like the efficiency of diesel engines and love the newer smooth and quiet diesels.
We own a 2012 F350 6.7L crew cab long bed DRW, a 2011 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI and a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L 4x4 automatic.
We want a small truck or SUV that is diesel, the 3.0L diesel Jeep was considered among some others but decided against.

The goal of this build will be high mpg with the same or more power than the Ranger currently has with the 4.0L gas engine.

We searched through different makes and models;
Chevy S-10 and Blazer
Dodge Dakota and Durango
Ford Ranger and Explorer
trying to find a good body with little rust.

We recently purchased a 2002 Ford Ranger FX4 with about 280k miles for $2000. The body is about a 7, some small dents and scratches and a little rust. The interior is about an 8.5, better than our Ranger with 160k miles. The frame, brakes, front and rear end are about a 7, it will need bushings and shocks but we will not work on that until after the conversion is done.

We searched through many diesel engines;
VT275
Cummins 4bt
Cummins QSB3.3
Kubota V2203
Mercedes Turbo Diesel engines
VW TDI 1.9L and 2.0L

We decided on the VW 2.0L TDI (engine id CJAA) for a few reasons;
Very smooth and quiet
Factory torque rating is very close to factory 4.0l Ford Ranger torque rating
Lighter than any other engine considered and lighter than 4.0l engine
Many upgrades available to increase hp and tq
Will pass emissions to 2011 (and maybe better) if we ever wanted to get a newer vehicle
These engines are readily available used for a reasonable price
There are many mechanics that know how to work on these engines
It is an On-Highway use engine

We researched using an automatic transmission but found it will be much easier to use a manual transmission, since neither of us has an issue driving a standard we decided to do this first as to not make this project to intimidating off the bat. We want to get it done in a reasonable amount of time and we can always make changes like this down the road.

Transmissions considered;
M50D-R1 (currently in the donor vehicle)
AX-15
NV-3550 Close Ratio
NV-3550 Wide Ratio
NSG-370

We decided on the NV-3550 Wide ratio for the following reasons;
Max torque is conservatively 300ft-lbs
Weighs 110lbs, about the same as the M50D-R1
They are readily available used, rebuilt, for a reasonable price
The gear ratios will work well with the TDI engine RPM power range.

Before starting the conversion we will take record some info/data from the stock Ford Ranger for before and after comparison. If you have any suggestions please let us know, so far;
Weight
Sound (in and out of cab)
The following will be tested loaded and unloaded, towing and not towing;
MPG
Acceleration at various speeds
Engine performance on hills

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
Subscribed.

Do you know what gearsets your truck is equipped with?

Tdi Rangers are fun. : )
Not positive but I believe it has 3.73 from the way it drives. I think 3.55 will work best with the TDI and NV-3550 though.

I hope so! I have read about a few but the real test will be driving one :D

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
what does the truck weigh now? Do you know what that 4.0 weighs?

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
what does the truck weigh now? Do you know what that 4.0 weighs?
This site shows that the curb weight of the truck is 3,584lbs but it does not show a difference for the manual and auto which I have found there is a 60lb difference. (Auto is 160lbs, not sure where I found that info but I have it all written down)

This Saturday my father and I are doing some testing, one of which is weighing the truck, I will post the results.

I found that the 4.0L is 440lbs, but I am not sure what accessories it had on it or if that is the block only. I will weigh it once removed though.

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
Truck weights in at 4000lbs with under a quarter tank of gas. (I weigh about 160)

Filled the truck up and will see what MPG I get from everyday driving (city/highway mix)

Drove the truck a bit, got the RPM at 65 and 70mph (5th gear)

With my 250# dirt bike in the bed at 65/70 mph (5th gear) the truck did OK on hills, if I kept the throttle in the same spot the truck would slow down a lot, had to put my foot into it to keep it up to speed, probably should have been in 4th on some of the hills. Here are pictures of the truck and my 2002 4.0L Automatic (yellow) Ranger. My friend’s ATV (Banshee) in the back and he explained that that truck performed the same as mine.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Not positive but I believe it has 3.73 from the way it drives. I think 3.55 will work best with the TDI and NV-3550 though.
What sort of options do you have for the front diff ratios? I know you have a ton of different ratios for the rear but haven't looked into the front all that much.

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
What sort of options do you have for the front diff ratios? I know you have a ton of different ratios for the rear but haven't looked into the front all that much.
Well I didn't do too much research on that but I have this in my watch list on ebay, Ford 8.8" 10 Bolt 3.55 ring and Pinion.

great project!...can't wait to see the mpg results....there are so many CR's on the road now it will be the swap engine of choice in a few years :)
There are so many! That is one of the reasons I decided to go with this engine. There are already so many available there will only be more and less expensive as the years go on.

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
My Dad ordered the NV-3550 yesterday from Smart Parts Automotive.

I found a 2010 TDI engine with turbo, wiring harness, ECU and some more about 2.5hrs away from me. We are going to check it out tomorrow morning. He says it only had 1500 miles on it when the car was wrecked and he just wanted it for building new motor mounts for a project of his. The pictures look great, hopefully it is as good as he says it is.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
nice project and good find on the engine. I love how the FX4 looks..bike in the back looks good too. :cool:

now I have to post a pic of my truck with the TM MX250F in the back!:D

I was surprised by the weigh in. I was expecting it to be a couple hundred pounds lighter.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II

I hope so! I have read about a few but the real test will be driving one :D
A 2002 FX4 is the same as the 2003 and up FX4 Level II (some point after 2004 or 05 the Level II started getting some changes, which I'm not sure about). Which means, unless someone changed out the stock rear, you have an 8.8", 4.10, 31 spline, Torsen limited slip...just like all Level II's had...and of course the 2002 FX4.

Chuck

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Great build and I wouln't mind one for my self down the road but one thing at a time, Is there any reason you didn't go with the ranger diesel engine? It would probably be an easier conversion

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
nice project and good find on the engine. I love how the FX4 looks..bike in the back looks good too. :cool:
now I have to post a pic of my truck with the TM MX250F in the back!:D
I was surprised by the weigh in. I was expecting it to be a couple hundred pounds lighter.
Let's see that pic!! Yea it was different than what I expected also.

A 2002 FX4 is the same as the 2003 and up FX4 Level II (some point after 2004 or 05 the Level II started getting some changes, which I'm not sure about). Which means, unless someone changed out the stock rear, you have an 8.8", 4.10, 31 spline, Torsen limited slip...just like all Level II's had...and of course the 2002 FX4.

OK good to know, I will most likely have to change them out after the conversion is done then or I will be way to high in RPM at 70 mph.

Chuck
Great build and I wouln't mind one for my self down the road but one thing at a time, Is there any reason you didn't go with the ranger diesel engine? It would probably be an easier conversion
I wanted an engine that is readily available, there are lots of these 2.0L TDI's on the web. I wanted the new computer controlled diesel for better power and fuel economy, and mostly because I want it quiet :D

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta
Been working on a different project (Yamaha Rhino open locking rear differential) so this one got put on hold for a bit. I did purchase the engine and it looks great, came with a lot of extra parts too. I need to send the ECU out to get it immobilized.

And we got the transmission in.

Engine and trans in the garage.

Ordered the bell housing yesterday so I can start mating the two!

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Out of curiosity, What'd you pay for the motor? I'm currently working on a CJAA swap into a 2000 Audi A6. I imagine we'll face similar wiring headaches. If you hadn't already seen, you can get the longitudinal mount brackets to make mounting easy, and get the accessory bracket from a 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI. This bracket has provisions for a power steering pump. It's a Europe only item, so you have to get through Frans.

JstWantoRide

TDI
2011 Jetta

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh