Fuel Filler

Hawkeye3

In the past, when fueling up my '01 Golf, there was always some resistance when putting the nozzle in. I am assuming that this was the nozzle depressing the vent. Lately, I've noticed that there is no longer any resistance. Upon looking in the fuel filler, I see that there isn't anything to depress. There is only a small lever on the left side about 1/4" long and about the diameter of a pencil. I can move it in and out, and I am assuming something was attached to this at one time.

Am I dreaming all of this? Could somebody take a peek at their fuel filler neck and let me know if there is anything there? I have a bad feeling something is now bobbing around in my tank. Also, any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
Sounds like you have broken the tank vent. Take it back to the dealer (Green's?) and whine pathetically. I doubt if anything is in the tank.

Speedracer

Veteran Member
Hawkeye3,
What you described is correct. The vent is normally depressed by the fuel cap as it is screwed into the filler neck. Nothing is broken or bobbing in your tank. The vent trick method of fueling your vehicle allows you to get an additional amount of fuel into the tank by depressing the small lever you described. The additional fuel increases your range from a full tank. Some have cautioned that this method should only be used if you drive a substansial amount immediately after fueling due to possible heat expansion of the fuel sitting in the tank. This would cause an overflow of fuel onto the ground thus polluting the enviroment. I use the vent method of fueling every time and have never seen any overflowed fuel.
As far as any resistance you may have experienced in the past. That reminds me of my 23 year old girlfriend when I first met her.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Speedracer ]

Dana D.

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
It doesn't sound like the vent button is broken, it only sticks out about a quarter inch anyway. Don't know why it got loose on you ... (self edit).

Hawkeye3

To All,

Thanks for your help.

I think you may be right. I see a lever that sticks out about a 1/4" or so on the left side just inside the filler neck. I think what happened was sometimes I can fill-up at the autodiesel pump which uses a smaller 'auto-sized' nozzle, as opposed to the 'big rig' nozzle. The bigger one probably had no problem depressing the vent.

WEEDEATER: I would still like to see a photo if you are able to post one (or anyone else too)! Just to satisfy my conscience. When typing a post, there is a button below the 'Instant UBB Code' heading that says image, perhaps this allows a picture to be attached/inserted?

Please let me know, otherwise I can give you my email address if you think that would help.

Thanks again everybody.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
The vent button isn't really designed to be depressed by the pump nozzle. It's only supposed to be depressed by the screw cap. If you've been using large diameter nozzles and they been depressing the vent button, and now the vent button flops back & forth and is no longer spring loaded, you should probably get it fixed.

Mel