Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Hey thanks for trying though.

I would like to suggest to the group that since there is a lot of interest in making their own BioD that we consider pooling our funds and purchasing a welder for own personal use. I don't know anything about welding units but how about this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55060

Would this be enough to do what we are wanting to do? If so 100 bucks divided amongst us would be more than doable.

Thanks

VegBug

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I don't know much about welders, but if that machine would weld two thin sheets together, it would probably work. The only thing I would worry about is is that your aparatus needs to be water tight at the weld, and I have no idea what that takes. One of the guys at work says that he knows a guy in tipton (kinda close to me) that would probably to it for $20.. He says he's done a lot of repairs and never charged more than 10-15 bucks.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Hey, if you get the info to contact this guy it would be great! Hell we could send a bunch of business his way.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jerry- does the main part of this set up have to be metal, or would plastic work? It's just a thought, but I found a plastic setup that isn't dirt cheap, but isn't that expensive either. With shipping I think I could get a 55 gal for around $120.... just a thought.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
the reason for a metal tank is that you can attach a water heater element to heat up the oil to get optimal reaction. You can't really do that safely with a plastic one. There are kits that use plastic tanks but I'm not sure how their heating up the oil for the process.

With a metal tank I can have one tank for the entire process. The metal tank only cost me 30 bucks and I'm thinking having someone weld the parts one would only be another 20-50 bucks, unless we can find someone to do it pro bono.

I'm starting a small three gallon batch using an inverted plastic 5 gallon jug. I found a rubber stopper to put a drain tube on to get the best drainage. For now this will do to get the experience and getting used to the process. In order to heat the oil I'm using my turkey fryer to heat the oil up and then transfer to a mixing container and then to the modified water jug for settling and draining. More on this later and I'll try and take pictures and maybe capture some video of the this process to share.

Last edited:

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
VegBug said:
Hey thanks for trying though.

I would like to suggest to the group that since there is a lot of interest in making their own BioD that we consider pooling our funds and purchasing a welder for own personal use. I don't know anything about welding units but how about this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55060

Would this be enough to do what we are wanting to do? If so 100 bucks divided amongst us would be more than doable.

Thanks

VegBug
Not really...... For welding thin sheet metal, a MIG or preferrably a TIG is best. Those run on a minimum of 220. It would probably be less expensive to find someone to weld it. With thin metal, TIG will leave a nicer looking weld, and the heat can be controlled easier for less warpage.

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I am working on buying a friends tig welder setup the last part of June. It will come with out tanks, plus I will not have the knowledge on how to tig weld, but I want to learn and I do know some welders that can teach me.

I wish I could come to the TB GTG, but the last few Saturdays have been spent working on my 98 Jetta, putting in Wheel Bearings (front and back) and Half Shafts. I have a vibration that is driving me crazy, and even though I have replaced all this stuff I still have a problem even though it has improved. I still have a drivers front wheel bearing to replace and I plan on doing that this Saturday. I'm thinking that I might also have a bad motor mount so I am going to check mounts this weekend. I need to solve this before I go to Georgia in June.

You guys have fun.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
From my Training TIG is the hardest to master (both hands 1 foot) and the best for sheet metal. More closely related to brazing then any other types of welding. The most costly item in learning it besides a good welder is the Tungsten electrode rod

MarkO-Indy2

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 5-speed
I would be interested in meeting with a Indianapolis/Indiana group. I am just a few miles north in Boone couinty. I intended to do some modifications to my Beetle, but it's getting consistant 46 mpg, no matter how I drive it...for now I am going to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto with fuel as pricey as it is.

I have been a long time visiter of this site...since 2002...got away from it for a few months and I screwed up my user name and had to reenter it.

Planning on going to the '08 GTG in Ohio.

Mark

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Welcome MarkO!

We are having a TB training this weekend. I am really looking forward to it and I know a lot of the others are too! Read through the past few weeks of posts for more info. If you want to come PM Mad_Dasher for directions.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Welcome Marko!

We have a email list to keep group members informed and if you wish to be included please PM me your email address.

I also created a group blog at http://tdindy.wordpress.com/. Hoping to use this to keep members up to date on things.

Being a fellow NB owner myself it would be good to have another NB in the group. That would make 3 in the group, both are exactly same color Blue.

Take care!

VegBug (Jerry)

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll see everyone tomorrow! (well, everyone that shows up anyway....)
Neil

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
re-Welcome to MarkO! Glad to have you back. Check this message board often, we are all hoping to become a more active group in the future. I am also hoping to go to tdi fest and hoping maybe some folks from up here would like to go too.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Well the timing belt replacement was successful! Many thanks to Mad_Dasher for the use of his garage and tools. Thanks to CrazyJo for using her car as the test subject. And thanks to Fyrsail for the doing all the manual labor.

From all reports car is running fantastically! Will be posting some pics of event on the TDIndy site later today.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
good to see everyone yesterday... We really need a big warehouse/ garage space for working on cars and brewing bio...
Thanks to Fyrsail for the black fin tuna! The best fish I have ever eaten in my entire life! Thanks to Mad Dasher for everything! A true learning experience!

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
DCELL said:
Thanks to Fyrsail for the black fin tuna! The best fish I have ever eaten in my entire life!
DCELL:
If you think that was good, you should try fresh (not frozen) Bluefin or Wahoo! What did you find out on the funnel/tank?

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I've emailed the guy for some pictures of the processor. I'm not getting a good idea of how his works. With some pictures can get better idea and see condition of system.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
He replied and has someone lined up to pick it up on Saturday. If he backs out I guess the he'll contact me.

with no pictures I wouldn't have driven all the way to Toledo to get it.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott- Fyrsail caught the fish in the gulf on thursday, and brought it to us on sunday. Fresh is the best!
regarding the funnel- I think vegbug has somone lined up now, but I'll definitely let you know. It would be a good excuse to go north! How is your tranny?

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Hope everyone enjoyed the GTG last Saturday. It seemed to go well and Jo's car even started when we were done! Since Saturday, however, diesel has gone up another 30cents/gallon. Biodiesel cost 90cents/gallon? Hmmm...

Fyrsail's fish was the best!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Alright gang! A couple of things, first will possibly be going to my brother-in-laws to get the welding done. So this brings up point number 2.

I know the topic of creating a biodiesel CO-OP was discussed at the Sat GTG and some hurdles were mentioned. Seeing as how we have half a dozen or better members to run a CO-OP is going to require a lot of space for the equipment, more than anyone's garage can host safely. So with that said does anyone have any acreage, or know of anyone, that would be willing to host said CO-OP? Would anyone be interested in finding a inexpensive location to rent to house the processor and be a GTG clubhouse?

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
VegBug, being up here in Marion I unfortunately do not have any idea of where we could do this. If it was on the west side or even near Mad_Dasher that would work for me as that is close to the pharmacy where I pick up meds.

Mad_Dasher, I am still getting diesel for 3.99. Filled up this afternoon. Fyrsail is coming up here to help me with my Jetta tomorrow afternoon and he is taking back some 55 gallon plastic drums. Maybe you could call him and have him get a 55 gallon drum filled for you when he leaves here. He will go right past the station. I will probably go down in the next day or so and get at least one 55 gallon drum to store in the garage. I still have about 35 gallons of diesel from when it was 2.99 and about 65 gallons of kerosene when it was 2.99.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got the room outside, and will have the room inside later this year when the garage is finished (or at least enclosed), but I doubt that you'd want to make the drive. On another note, I have access to quite a number of totes - wire mesh outside, plastic container inside. I believe they are 250 - 275 gallons each.

DCELL: The parts arrived yesterday, but 4 thrust washers aren't correct. If I can't get the correct ones asap I'll put it together with the old ones providing the stack-up is correct. Nothing is scored, just covered in melted plastic, so they cleaned up just fine. I have pics, just not time to post them.

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
TDI_Convert,

I might be interested in at least a couple of totes possibly more if they are available. How much are they? What was in them? Thanks!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Muncie fabricator has contacted me and I'm in the process of getting a quote for his services. I'll let everyone know as soon as I get the info.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
guiffster- if you guys need any help, let me know, I'm not too far away!