EGR Delete

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
I am planning on buying and installing a Buzzken EGR delete kit. So far I know that once I install it, it will throw a code and may get a loss of mpg. I have also heard that an ecu tune will fix that.

Now, my question. Is the warning of mpg loss true? And is there any specific tune I need to get rid of the CEL?

Would really appreciate an answer:eek:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
tune will get rid of the light/code but it does not do one bit for mpg. It's mainly due to the egr cooler no longer functioning. Exhaust gas flows through the cooler to heat up coolant faster. Cold engine means bit more fuel is used. No biggie. I did it but didn't notice mpg going down. No specific tune, egr delete is the option. While you're at it get a boost in HP/torque with a stage 1 or 2. malone does a 1.5 which will see very little boost creep if any.

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
tune will get rid of the light/code but it does not do one bit for mpg. It's mainly due to the egr cooler no longer functioning. Exhaust gas flows through the cooler to heat up coolant faster. Cold engine means bit more fuel is used. No biggie. I did it but didn't notice mpg going down. No specific tune, egr delete is the option. While you're at it get a boost in HP/torque with a stage 1 or 2. malone does a 1.5 which will see very little boost creep if any.
Thanks. I'll probably get the egr delete kit in a week or so, then I gotta save up for a tune (high school student). :D

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
I have an '06 per my sig ... I had Steve Glover install a delete on my EGR with the cam replace, et al ... and Kerma tune. that was at 158K miles. Now has just over 206K. Couldn't be happier.

I suppose the mileage deal might be a factor if your typical operation is crank, run 5 minutes, shutoff. OK ... run 10 minutes, shutoff ... I've never seen more than 10 minutes to reach NOT after a cold start. That's barely 10% of my typical total drive time to work. So ... it's not a problem and there's no more leaky EGR!

I HIGHLY recommend an EGR delete for anyone who actually drives their car.