"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
The OEM air filter should serve you well.

However, there is nothing wrong with a quality reusable non-oiled aftermarket air filter. Just don't expect a noticable performance increase.

Personally, i like the AEM Driflow. Reasonable cost, quality material/build and easily cleaned.

Caveat Emptor
Okay thanks for the info. Are there any other good panel filters direst replacements that can be bought on ebay?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Okay thanks for the info. Are there any other good panel filters direst replacements that can be bought on ebay?
Don't know, i have never purchased filters on Ebay. I purchased 2 AEM filters at a local big box auto supply store and 2 from online auto supply stores.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Buy from our vendors. You will be very happy with those results. Looking for power in a filter is silly and wont work. Glad you found this thread and all your questions and good or bad advice should be followed by reading this thread and deciding what air filter is right for you and why. Seeing as how there is no performance to be had, you sould strive for the highest filtered quality you can find. Not some cheap aftermarket scam ram air cold scoop whatever you want to label a non or oiled filter to be.

Until you upgrade all your engines internals exhaust and turbo with massive fuel will any measly air filter do you any good.

You'r money. You'r car. Do what you want and dont get mad at us for telling you the right things to do!

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Agreed.
If you don't have performance upgrades and aren't interested in washing and reusing an un-oiled drop-in panel air filter made out of synthetic driflow material, then the OEM air filter is your best choice.

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
Agreed.
If you don't have performance upgrades and aren't interested in washing and reusing an un-oiled drop-in panel air filter made out of synthetic driflow material, then the OEM air filter is your best choice.
I do have performance upgrades (another 70bhp over standard) but the people on this forum mostly say performane air filters just dont work so just stick with OEM no matter what lol.

white thunder

TDI
mk6 jetta m6
greetings,
i just bought a 2012 golf TDI. it came with out the top part of the factory intake filter. no filter either i fashioned something to drive it home but whats best options here. when i was buying it i was just thinking id buy something after market but after reading this im second guessing. are there any sound benifits to an after market? i used to have an SRT4 and it made a huge difference to the sound i can post pics if nessesary thanks in advance

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
greetings,
i just bought a 2012 golf TDI. it came with out the top part of the factory intake filter. no filter either i fashioned something to drive it home but whats best options here. when i was buying it i was just thinking id buy something after market but after reading this im second guessing. are there any sound benifits to an after market? i used to have an SRT4 and it made a huge difference to the sound i can post pics if nessesary thanks in advance
search around eBay for the missing parts and go with a quality filter, my preference is MANN. for the time being as long as its a dry non oiled filter, it would not be the end of the world as we so make it out to be to drive it for a few weeks with one. I would not recommend anything longer than absolutely necessary if it was a get to work car... if it can sit around and wait, i would wait for proper parts to come in.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
So basically if i wanted the best performance for my CR170 Leon and wanted to replace the existing panel air filter with another air filter i should use an OEM panel filter (cream with orange trim) and never get a K&N, AFE, Ramair, pipercross or any other performane filter, is this correct?
Thanks
Watch this guy on youtube....His channel is called project farm. He reviews and tests allsorts >>> AFTERMARKET PANEL FILTER TESTING
Without any added performance mods, along with a ecu tune then the increase in performance is very minimal but apparantly there is some.

Oem paper filters are very restrictive but work fine for factory setup. But adding a very pourous sponge panel filter will definitely give you that whooosh sound but won't stop much smaller particals like sand/dust from getting past the filter into your engine.

My filter setup uses foam but a triple layer trifoam technology from racing line which is £300 and requires a re-oil every 4-6 month or so. So only pay big if you have plans to remap stage 1 or more in the future.....Nothing wrong with starting with a sexy inline racing cold air intake though. The sounds it gives without a map were nice and suttle whooosh......Then stage 2......now it sounds like dump-valves each hard gear change :cool:

Firstly watch the youtube video i posted and decide from his testing......you will be surprised what gets through them.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
So what air filter do u suggest for my 2012 Seat Leon (cr170), now tuned to 243 bhp?
Well if you're pushing that kinda power, definitely go big..........cold air intake should have been one of your first mods before a remap IMO

I can only recommened what i have and can tell you the quality, sound and asthetics are awesome.

Look for Racing line cold air intake - trifoam filter.........don't chooose the paper filter but every 4-6 month re-oil the foam to preserve the foam filter and retain its optimal filter catching power :LOL: sound bloooody sexy at 214 hp......highly recommmened.

This is what is looks like installed >>> Racing Line Cold Air Intake

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
So what air filter do u suggest for my 2012 Seat Leon (cr170), now tuned to 243 bhp?
Care to share all your mods to reach 243 bhp ?
Do you have a cr170 turbo because they max out at 220hp ish

Check out this cr170 guide with a gtb 2260 vk turbo installed

Darkside: common rail CR tuning with gtb2260vk turbo

Stock Injectors, Stock Pump, Stock Head, Stock Cams - 235 hp
Stock Injectors, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Stock Cams - 248.5 hp
Stock Injectors, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Race Cams - 271.8 hp
Stage 1 Injectors
, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Race Cams - 289.5 hp

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well if you're pushing that kinda power, definitely go big..........cold air intake should have been one of your first mods before a remap IMO

I can only recommened what i have and can tell you the quality, sound and asthetics are awesome.

Look for Racing line cold air intake - trifoam filter.........don't chooose the paper filter but every 4-6 month re-oil the foam to preserve the foam filter and retain its optimal filter catching power :LOL: sound bloooody sexy at 214 hp......highly recommmened.

Oiled filters and our maf sensors... Not a good idea...

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Oiled filters and our maf sensors... Not a good idea...
I have heard that before and I do agree but I haven't oiled mine yet it's only 3-4 month. I haven't experienced any problems can't say much for the long run.
When I come to cleaning the filter and applying oil I won't go crazy.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have heard that before and I do agree but I haven't oiled mine yet it's only 3-4 month. I haven't experienced any problems can't say much for the long run.
It takes about a year to kill them. You'll notice your fuel economy tank. And it takes awhile after that to trigger a cel. And they aren't cheap.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Wrong
The oem filter is more then capable of 250 plus easily. 350 is where you are in dyno land and doing anrun with no filter to check is always a thing that is done.

Stop trying to use these filters.
As for PF video... he usually does a great test and there are plenty of others who have done this and always the results are the same. Loss of power increase in silicates.

We just had a thread revival about how the west thing you can do is remove a air filter then reinstall it because silicates...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Couldn't I just periodically move the MAF sensor and clean it with isopropyl alcohol
No. Only the old style could be cleaned. You will kill your maf if you clean them on these.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you just turned a blind eye to all the data?
Do what you want but stop spreading bad info.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Have you just turned a blind eye to all the data?
Do what you want but stop spreading bad info.
I'm no expert so that's why i said in my opinion...... personal opinion Is not always incorrect though...... but you seem to know more than me on tollerances.

If oem can handle 250 then people who I'd deem experts advised me to pony up money for nothing then ?
Telling me I'll maximize my potential from a tune upgrading intake and intercooler etc.....if 350 is dyno territory then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of your arguement.....because at some point they'd install what you seem to disagree with ?

It is what it is......paper oem style if you want absolute safety from silicates and if you want asthetics and woosh between gears and louder turbo spool then a good quality filter is ok like my racing line trifoam filter setup.

But again I'm no expert and will not argue to be correct........i said IMO.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Oh SNAP.... he just told you @Mongler98 !
:ROFLMAO: ffs.........I did nothing of the sort but we are all entitled to our opinion. I like to learn from people with knowledge and experienece, so i will definitely take note and watch on my MAF and also look at applying minimal oil to my inline trifoam filter.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
When I bought my jetta it had a lighly oiled K&N. I changed to a stock paper because of what the numbers suggest. Dam thing drives like I threw a blanket over it. I was not a happy camper. :( I think at WOT there would be no difference, but I daily drive .

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Wrong
The oem filter is more then capable of 250 plus easily. 350 is where you are in dyno land and doing anrun with no filter to check is always a thing that is done.

Stop trying to use these filters.
As for PF video... he usually does a great test and there are plenty of others who have done this and always the results are the same. Loss of power increase in silicates.

We just had a thread revival about how the west thing you can do is remove a air filter then reinstall it because silicates...
I'm running stock filter on mine. After one maf... More than adaquite.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I don't even run filters.... they are all restrictive compared to the imaginary one I use! Pulls so hard I have to wear a neck brace if I want to do spirited driving!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
When I bought my jetta it had a lighly oiled K&N. I changed to a stock paper because of what the numbers suggest. Dam thing drives like I threw a blanket over it. I was not a happy camper. :( I think at WOT there would be no difference, but I daily drive .
It's in your head. You just hear it more with a knn