TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Perhaps, but sadly the 2015 is going to be larger (again) and now built in Alabama. The current C-Class is already the same size as my W124 E-Class. And the current E-Class seems enormous to me.
The exterior growth is mostly in the overhangs, not in the interior. New suspension takes more room.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a nice(ish) W126 diesel that needs engine work for FREE, if anyone would like to come save it. Nice rust free southern car.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I have a nice(ish) W126 diesel that needs engine work for FREE, if anyone would like to come save it. Nice rust free southern car.
Did you get the title figured out? Saw your FB post about having issues with the idiot PO.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
If only I could get it... I'd be all over it. Rust free older Benz's are rare up here... :( Really lucked out with mine being a BC coast car, haven't seen many as clean here in 'berta.

TDIA6

TDI
2014 A6 TDI - Daytona Gray with 19" Sport Pkg
Own a 2014 A6 TDI and am anxiously awaiting delivery of my (wife's) ML350 BT.

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
Just picked up this 300TD on Saturday. I last had a 300D back in 2006.

Needs some work but what old car doesn't. 233k

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
Looks decent. How is the rust?
Underneath looks good so far in the usual places. A few surface rust spots on the body but looks like I'll be able to take care of them. I'll be putting some time in on it this weekend and coming week when I have off. I'll be getting up close and personal with it so I'm sure I'll dig into some more flaws. Parts should be coming in so I have some work to do. Can't wait. I have my TDI for every day driving (10 years together), this is just for fun/family.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
In the "what you did to your car today" Category.

I replaced all but the drivers door. Door check (stop)

Easy job!! And a very important one. All three doors were making lound, grinding noises when opening and closing. They are all perfect now!

Hardest part of the job is removing the door cards.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Well, I went from both my 05 Passat and NBS jetta tdi's to an 11 MB e350 bluetec. Now with almost 30k on her, it is starting to regenerate even more frequently. She also seemed to bog down on hard acceleraration.new engine mgmtsoftware took care of the sluggishness. However,now the Car regens every other day. I drive at least 60 miles daily both ways have hwy 50% and city 50% driving. Why is my car regenning so much and how do they find what is causing the problem?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Well, I went from both my 05 Passat and NBS jetta tdi's to an 11 MB e350 bluetec. Now with almost 30k on her, it is starting to regenerate even more frequently. She also seemed to bog down on hard acceleraration.new engine mgmtsoftware took care of the sluggishness. However,now the Car regens every other day. I drive at least 60 miles daily both ways have hwy 50% and city 50% driving. Why is my car regenning so much and how do they find what is causing the problem?
This may be from an excessive amount of soot being created to be disposed of by the regeneration of the particle trap.

A number of different things can do this anywhere from a malfunctioning EGR valve to a computer malfunction. Its also likely that the fuel used is not optimal. Best to have it looked at by a qualified mechanic.

TM

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
This may be from an excessive amount of soot being created to be disposed of by the regeneration of the particle trap.
A number of different things can do this anywhere from a malfunctioning EGR valve to a computer malfunction. Its also likely that the fuel used is not optimal. Best to have it looked at by a qualified mechanic.
TM
Soot used to be useful as a diagnostic tool. By paying attention to the amount of soot and conditions when it's produced, you could get an idea of what's going on with the engine. It sure made troubleshooting a problem a lot easier.

With the new generation of "clean" diesels having a DPF, the DPF does a good job of "hiding" a lot of soot produced. It makes it possible for a diesel vehicle owner to have a soot problem and not know it until the DPF is well sooted beyond the car's ability to regenerate the DPF and then the DPF has to be replaced prematurely. It becomes more important to stay on top of all maintenance items like air filter, snowscreen, injection timing, etc.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Hi guys!
I'm in the process of trading my coupe for a 1995 E250TD, a 5-cyl n/a diesel. I've had a W124 wagon before, a 300TE-24, and a W201 2.5D so I have experience of the car and engine, but not combined. The w201 had a 10-valve engine and the car I'm looking at now is a 20-V.
Is that engine as reliable as the old 10-v? Is it still all mechanical?
It will be slow with just 112hp but that's fine.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
What do you guys that own 1999 E300 diesels think of them, are they worth it, looking at getting a winter car, and the e300 look pretty cheap

Is there anything major to watch for?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
What do you guys that own 1999 E300 diesels think of them, are they worth it, looking at getting a winter car, and the e300 look pretty cheap
Rust. Search spring perches especially. Mechanicals are pretty solid.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Just bought a 99 for parts. The engines are bulletproof; arguably the best and most reliable engine that MB ever made. Trans are ok - easy to fix, lots of parts available.

The biggest issue is rust. The upper body mounts for the front springs rust and detach from the body. If that happens, you're screwed! General body is rust is extremely common. The parts car i bought is unbelievably rusty... I've had rust buckets, but none like this one.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Guess i'll have to go look at some

I know the motors are pretty good, thanks for the advise on the rust

elc32955

TDI
ALUMNI - 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI
Hey all!

Just thought I'd chime in and say hello.... Besides the New Beetle that brought me here, the other ride is a 2005 Mercedes E320CDI with 44K miles on it that I purchased back in late June that was riding around the Fairfax, VA area for all of it's life. It's an W211.026 in Pewter with black leather interior, it's got the Logic 7 stereo, Drive Dynamic heated seats, Premium package, COMAND with the GPS option, split back seat with the ski bag, a nice clean loaded ride for the wife. From the condition of the paint and outside seals it's always been garaged, the paint is smoother then a Vegas poker dealer's shuffle.

Driving it from VA to Central Florida, I managed 785 miles on 20.2 gallons of diesel working out to roughly 39 MPG. Not too shabby.... After I got it back here I had to do motor and tranny mounts, after 9 years the old mounts were getting pretty bad to support that heavy straight-6 motor. Now if I could just get the #^$&#$^#* sunroof to stop leaking.... :)

Eric

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Like Brand New

Hey all!

Just thought I'd chime in and say hello.... Besides the New Beetle that brought me here, the other ride is a 2005 Mercedes E320CDI with 44K miles on it that I purchased back in late June that was riding around the Fairfax, VA area for all of it's life. It's an W211.026 in Pewter with black leather interior, it's got the Logic 7 stereo, Drive Dynamic heated seats, Premium package, COMAND with the GPS option, split back seat with the ski bag, a nice clean loaded ride for the wife. From the condition of the paint and outside
it's always been garaged, the paint is smoother then a Vegas poker dealer's shuffle.

Driving it from VA to Central Florida, I managed 785 miles on 20.2 gallons of diesel working out to roughly 39 MPG. Not too shabby.... After I got it back here I had to do motor and tranny mounts, after 9 years,
the old mounts were getting pretty bad to support that heavy straight-6 motor.
Now if I could just get the #^$&#$^#* sunroof to stop leaking.... :)

Eric
Best car I ever had, and at 78 years old, I have had a few.

Got mine three years ago with 108K on it then; Now has 168K.
Simply gets better and better with every mile driven.

Dynoed 384 to 386 ft/lbs torque to the rear wheels / 211 hp rwhp.

Like you say, will run 800 miles in a day at 80 mph or better on one
full tank with the A/C on, and doesn't know what a grade is!

Want to make it sound better?
Remove the mufflers and save about 20 or 30 pounds.
Simply tilt the replacement pipes down at a 45 degree angle
and make sure they exit at the edge of the bumper.

The only 2005-2006 W-211 MBZ that will beat it is an E-55, and they
don't get F E in the high 37-38 mpg range at high crusing speeds!

Good luck with that low mileage well equipped find. :)

Sounds like you may have the panoramic S/R?

Regards,

DHG

Last edited:

BioDiesel'

TDI
1998 Jetta Elsbett single-tank, 230K WVO miles
I switched too. 2010 M-B ML-350 Bluetec

for the wife who would like AWD in the winter.
Nice solid car. 400 ft-lbs of torque :D( but 5000 lbs of weight:eek:). For those looking at these check out the posts in the M-B forums.
Engines have a couple problems with oil leaks at the turbo air inlet and the oil cooler seals. FWIR 2010 and newer have Viton seals instead of the rubber in the older V6 TD OM642 engines.

Hopefully it will last as well as my '98 Jetta TDI.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Hello Secret Benz people.

I hope I'm not crossing a line here, posting this in this forum, BUT....

I have a 1980 300D custom coach built stretch limosine I need to find a good home for. It is very rare, very unusual (most conversions of this type were done to W126 S-Class, not W123 like this.)

Anyway, this rotting time-capsule needs pretty much everything. It is white with a vinyl top and the 5cyl 3.0l na motor was running when parked.

I would like it to go to someone who will do something with it, not scrap it, and will therefore sell it to anyone at near scrap value, which is just a couple/few hundred dollars. PM me if interested, it is in storage in St. Louis, Missouri, and I can go get pics of it if needed.

My next stop is Craigslist but wanted to give the folks here a crack at it first.

Thank you.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Right thread, trying again!

I've doubled-down on my Mercedes fleet - just picked up a SWEET 2007 R320 CDI...and already got Jeff to chip it :)

Pics soon - there is something about this thing I find perversely attractive. It's not a wagon, not an SUV, not a mini-van. What it is though - spacious, comfortable, easy to drive, 4motion equipped beast of a diesel.

Things done:
Chipped (still not fast, but certainly quick)
Oil Change
Air Filters

Things to do:
Fuel Filter (broke WIF sensor)
Intake Pipe (found crack in bottom)
Winter Tires
HID/High Power LED Kit (projectors have Euro pattern with sharp cutoff and the car has auto-leveling suspension, so a drop-in kit might actually work out)

cevans

TDI
Things done:
Chipped (still not fast, but certainly quick)
Oil Change
Air Filters

Things to do:
Fuel Filter (broke WIF sensor)
Intake Pipe (found crack in bottom)
Winter Tires
HID/High Power LED Kit (projectors have Euro pattern with sharp cutoff and the car has auto-leveling suspension, so a drop-in kit might actually work out)
Fuel filter done, intake pipe replaced. Added roof racks :)

I was warned about HID bulbs in the projectors and burning them out, so HIDs are on hold until I investigate that more. Lighting is terrible, though, so hopefully I can figure something out soon.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Those R's are nice cars. I was going back and forth between one and the '04-06' 320 cdi.
Ended up with an Audi, but anyway.
Unless your dead certain on them I'd start planning on oil cooler seals. That MB V6 diesel is notorious for having them leak. Not a question of if, only when.
I found this place, http://mbworld.org/forums/, to be fairly good. Not at the level of tdiclub, but some good info.

cevans

TDI
Those R's are nice cars. I was going back and forth between one and the '04-06' 320 cdi.
Ended up with an Audi, but anyway.
Unless your dead certain on them I'd start planning on oil cooler seals. That MB V6 diesel is notorious for having them leak. Not a question of if, only when.
I found this place, http://mbworld.org/forums/, to be fairly good. Not at the level of tdiclub, but some good info.
Right, I've been debating asking Fred to start a Mercedes diesel section. There is a lot of great information, but it is scattered around a handful of forums - much less centrally located than TDIClub (minus the radicals at those other places :) )

Already have the oil cooler and full repair seal kit ready:
http://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-seal-kit-om642-p-5146.html