Removing wagon hatch trim to get to bolt...

brandonkraemer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI 1.9L 5spd ALH VE mkIV Jetta Wagon
I had to drill out my license plate Rivnut due to rust and it ended up inside the hatch cavity. Now it rolls around like a marble and I'd like to remove it.

Is there a way to access this by removing the trim covering on the inside of the hatch? I don't know the safe way to do this with out breaking anything (further).

And while im on the subject... has anyone replaced this Rivnut before with any success? The hole it left is slightly irregular and flanged.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
There's two screws in the handles for pulling the lid shut then you just have to get your fingers in and pull, I start at the wiper motor and work my way out. The clips are super tight though so be prepared to have to pull fairly hard.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Yes. On my Golf the handles come out to remove the inside lining. I watched a video where a guy removed the lining on a Golf from inside the cargo area with the hatch closed. He could not open the hatch from the outside. This method looked a lot easier than working with the hatch opened. On the Golf the upper part of the lining interlocks with the upper half so you have to pull out and up on unlock the two halves. I managed to break mine since I was unaware of how the two halves were connected.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh the handles as in the pockets at either side, I think they're for grabbing to pull the lid down. Anyway the screws are in them, if you look up inside them with a light you'll see them. Two little cross head screws. Other than that it's just clips.

The top part isn't locked in to the lower part either, just sits over the top of it at each side.