Ecu maps?

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
I've searched but I only found stuff for newer tdi. I have a 1z. A good friend of mine has the ability to burn chips.anywhere to find free or cheap files to base off? Any info would be great. And I know I could shell out the dough to Malone,rc, etc but we r do it yourself type guys, I'm wrench and he tunes and wrenches a little.... And are looking for that "I conquered it" gratification with doing it all on our own....again... Thanks

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Here is a stock file, so you can use a program like WinOLS to look through it for learning purposes http://www.chip-tuner.hu/original_ecu_files/files/VW/VW%20Passat%201.9TDI%201Z%2090HP%20028906021FC%200281001566.zip

From my knowledge, most free tunes online are junk.

I did look at many for my ALH to learn, but soon learned that they're not terribly great. I tuned my own, which was a great success. However it was much easier through flashing, instead of burning chips every time you want to make a change. I've flashed it in the last 2 months about 16 times.

www.ecuconnections.com is a good place to learn a lot.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
Thanks, I've seen you post b4 and was gonna pm you about you tuning your own

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
I see there's a post there where someone made an xdf definition file for the 1Z ecu, for use with TunerPRO program, which is free and not too bad too use. You have to register on ecuconnections to see it all.

It would help if you knew which ECU you have, MSA11 or MSA12. That part I have no clue about.

Link (you have to be member to see it) http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12550

Definition files usually give you the name, location of the addresses, and axes for the graphs.

You then use knowledge of your motor, turbo, and other hardware to raise fueling, and air, keeping air to fuel ratio at 17:1 or leaner.

Last edited:

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
What other mods do you have on your car?

Basic, rough tune tips(**JUST a guide, VAGEDC Suite does NOT have the right info for checksum calculation for MSA15 ecu):

Initial RULES to remember:
a. To make more power, you ALWAYS need more fuel. There seems to be a myth in peoples' minds that more boost alone = more power. NEVER.

b. A diesel engine will have higher EGT's when you run rich. Stoichiometric air to fuel is about 15:1 in a diesel, but that will smoke a lot, and have much higher EGT. Keep it around 17:1 or leaner.

c. Don't put more boost than needed for the amount of fuel you inject. You'll only be spinning a turbine uselessly.

d. Don't do anything you don't understand. You have to understand how the below maps work together to do the job they do. You have to know how your hardware works in order to control it by software.

e. Know the limits of your airflow, turbo, injection pump, injectors, engine. Also all of these HAVE to be in top condition for the software to work properly.

f. The more you stress your engine and hardware, the more likely it is to break something. Have your car in top shape.

g. ALWAYS read your chip (or flash) first to have something to compare, noting that there may be differences between what guides say (including mine) and what you actually have on your car.

1. Start with driver's wish: X: Throttle position vs. Y: RPM; change mg/stroke of fueling Z.
If your pump is similar to ALH (not sure) then you can raise the 100% throttle position fueling from 1500rpm-4000rpm all the way up to about 50mg (or less if your turbo will not be able to provide enough air to keep it relatively smoke free).
You can edit the TPS 80% and TPS 60% up a slight bit. Then you raise the values around the modded areas to smooth out the map.

2. Torque Limiter: X: RPM vs Y: atmospheric pressure (mbar): change max fueling Z. This protects your clutch and transmission. I would edit the 1000mbar and 900mbar rows from 2000rpm-4000rpm to near your max fueling (50mg if you choose so above). Leave the 500mbar row alone. Edit the fueling around to smooth out the map, keeping low RPM values close to stock.

3. Smoke limiter: X: mg/stroke of AIR vs. Y: RPM: change max fueling Z.
Keep in mind the 17:1 air to fuel ratio here if you want to be relatively smoke free.
Ideally you should use VagCOM or VCDS to log your max MAF values first. Remember, raising boost (below) will raise the MAF flow values. A 1.9L engine without any boost at STP (100% vacuum efficiency) will have 474cc/stroke of air in each cylinder. If you have a working EGR, it will get air from the exhaust, so reported MAF metered air will be lower.

Assuming STP and 100% vacuum efficiency (conversion is x cc of air * 0.001294 g/cm^3):
At 1000mbar: 613mg/stroke of air (474cc)
at 2000mbar: 1227mg/stroke of air (ex: 1000mbar of atmospheric pressure PLUS 1000mbar of turbo pressure)
at 2500mbar: 1533mg/stroke of air (1000mbar atm + 1500mbar turbo boost)

You would also raise the values from 2000-4000rpm to your max fueling at the column with the highest airflow (50mg if you chose so above). Use a calculator to calculate airflow / 17 to figure out the max fueling to keep smoke free. You can calculate and change the last 2-3 columns, keeping it smooth and looking similar to the factory graph.
*I would raise the highest X-axis value descriptor to 950 or 1000mg/stroke of air for better control*

Turbo:

4. Boost target map: X: mg/stroke of fueling vs. Y: RPM: change mbar of ABSOLUTE air pressure Z, (atmospheric air pressure ~1000mbar @ sea level + mbar the turbo should add on) ... There seem to be 2 maps defined. They're equal.
**You must know the ideal pressures your turbo operates at. On my VNT15, sustained should be no more than 18psi, so I set mine under 2250mbar (1000+1250).
On this map it's best if you raise the values at high fueling at 1900rpm to 4000 rpm by a percentage to reach your desired peak. Smooth the surrounding areas gently if you want, and gently raise the 2nd to last column as well if you want, but not necessary.
It is best to change the last column X-axis descriptor to your maximum fueling (if it's 50mg, change 45mg/stroke to 50mg/stroke)

5. Boost Limiter map: X :RPM vs. Y: Atmospheric pressure: you change the maximum ABSOLUTE pressures Z. On the file from the GQ ECU, VAGEDC Suite interprets that the boost limit is at 2600mbar on all the Z axis values. This would be fine for any boost values. Strange why they left that limit so high. Ideally you calculate boost limits for the atm pressure you drive at so your turbo doesn't over-work itself at low atmospheric pressures (HIGH altitude).

6. SVBL (Single Value Boost Limiter): maximum mbar boost absolute. If you go over this value for a few seconds, it will trip the Check engine or limp mode. Keep this value from 200mbar to 300mbar OVER your maximum boost that you set above.

Other:

EGR: If you want EGR to stop functioning, you set all the Z values to 850. You can also let EGR work only at low Fueling, and at higher fueling set the Z values to 850. Remember, if you disable EGR, you will have more measured air through the mass air flow.

IQ to Airmass: X: mg/stroke of fuel vs. Y: RPM: you change the minimum EGR flow in mg/stroke (?) REQUIRED for that requested to happen. This is set up to 51mg from factory, so you should be ok leaving it as is.

N75 map is defined in VAGEDC Suite as 100% across the range. I'm not as familiar with how those engines operated and controlled the boost. Use your knowledge. This is probably where you would ADD N75 data for VNT conversions.

SOI (Start of Injection) is the timing: degrees of BTDC at which the fueling begins for each stroke. It looks highly advanced compared to ALH. I do not really like the negative degrees BTDC (actually After TDC) as it squirts fuel after the cylinder is up for burning. It is supposedly for emissions and noise.

Pump voltage map, I'm not sure where it is on the GQ ECU, or if this ECU calculates duration differently, you'll have to find it yourself if you want to edit it. Normally for only SLIGHT extra fueling, you don't edit it. They say a 10% raise across the values isn't too bad.
****FROM AHF Engine ECU**** as an example, your values may be different

MAP Linearization
: conversion factor (from mVolt to atm pressure) for your MAP sensor. To be used when going from a 2.5 bar MAP to a 3 bar MAP for example. You will have to know the conversion factor for the new MAP.

Remember, the above is just a guide, always remember to keep in mind what each map does, what your turbo and pump limits are, and lots of math to get everything right. Editing everything by percentages up is safest as it will rule out errors.

Also if anyone else disagrees or has to add to, PLEASE and kindly provide constructive feedback. I am MORE familiar with EDC15, especially ALH motors, AND STILL learning.

Last edited:

Jshua

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Map Smoothing

When you say smooth the map out, do you just change the values around the ones that are raised so there are no spikes or jumps in map?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, for smoother transitions between data points. Not totally necessary, but I'm picky like that.

Jshua

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Ah ok just curious. As a lurker of this thread I also wanted to thank you for the above info on the tune. Answered a few questions I had:)