VNT15\17 hybrid

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Found this on ebay and though you guys might be interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vnt17-TDI-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4188db8188&vxp=mtr

Has a 15 hot side and a 17 cold side. Has the performance of a 17 with the response of a 15. Idea sounds good but I dunno how good it really is in reality.

Found this researching 15\20 hybrids which is also an interesting combo. Was thinking of building my own using a 15 hot side and a VNT20 cold side and both can be had cheap used. Just would need to send it off and have it balanced...

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Actually that says it just has a bigger compressor wheel, not the whole cold side.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
All you need to ummm... "fit" a 17 comp wheel into a 15 housing is a brake hone. Make the inducer bore larger and Voila! you have a 15/17 hybrid! The 17 wheel fits right in there!

But just because it "fits" without interference does not mean it's ideal. You see the EXDUCER tip height on the 17 is smaller than on the 15. This is how the 17 compressor is rated for higher Pressure while maintaining the same "size" 49mm wheel. (you can't always go by the "wheel size"... sometimes the "smaller" turbo is actually an upgrade if you are only considering one dimension)

That leaves a gap of a couple mm between the compressor housing and wheel, inside, where you can't see it. You can't see this discrepancy just by looking at the turbo from the outside, and it is kind of tricky even for a skilled machinist to measure. But the wheel "fits" in there without interference, it's just not a tight fit that you need for a turbo to work like it should. The gap should be measured in thousanths of an inch, not mm. It will "work" but not as well as if it was done properly. So you are essentially getting 80% of what the upgrade should have been if it was a good match between wheel/housing.

The gap can be brought closer but that requires a bit more complicated machining that I doubt was done, especially at that low price. Especially considering the price is below that of the Garrett warehousing master distributor price for a stock vnt15.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It is only $40 difference what Kerma or other vendors sells original VNT 17 form BEW, and same price fom ALH.
So WHY would someone buy this rebuilt hybrid turbo vs original one???
I would never do that.

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
I am making my own hybrid turbo from my current little gt15 turbo

I am replacing the Stock 33.5/49 compressor wheel with a Upgraded GT15 compressor wheel sized 36.4/49 m. Garrett part # 436132-0002 it has the needed 5mm tip height for a easy swap

the pd130 compressor wheel is 35/49

I am leaving the exhaust wheel alone as I want the early boost the gt15's small exhaust wheel provides.

My hp goal using this turbo and many other upgrades is 165 - 170 hp