Timing belt kit?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Is this a good kit? I didn't see any reviews and was wondering if anyone has used this one or if you'd recommend a different one.

https://www.hansautoparts.com/95-99TDITimingBeltKitWithTools.aspx

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't trust anything from that guy, he's notorious for selling the absolute worst crap.

Stick with name brand belt, tensioner etc. Continental belt or Conti-tech, Litens tensioner, the tools are available online individually from some reputable people.

He has several different websites selling the same garbage, you can tell because they all use the same photographs and sometimes the photos have bad aspect ratio.

Steve

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
I wouldn't trust anything from that guy, he's notorious for selling the absolute worst crap.

Stick with name brand belt, tensioner etc. Continental belt or Conti-tech, Litens tensioner, the tools are available online individually from some reputable people.

He has several different websites selling the same garbage, you can tell because they all use the same photographs and sometimes the photos have bad aspect ratio.

Steve
Which tools are a necessity?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Which tools are a necessity?

There is an entire tool kit on sale from reputable vendors and the whole thing is necessary. If you can get pictures of the kit's pieces and compare them to a metalnerd kit, for example, you might be able to get workable tools for almost a third of the price and throw away whatever junk parts come with that complete kit.

One point he makes, however, is misleading. He writes that a water pump isn't touching part of the timing belt so it doesn't need to be included in the kit. Well, whatever in regards to his opinion about things touching the belt proper needing to be in the kit or not, but the water pump does need to be replaced when you do the TB job. A lot of other things need to be replaced, too, regardless of where or whether they make direct contact with the timing belt :rolleyes: so I'd be skeptical about anything else he's posting or offering in a "complete" kit.

Comparisons to the most recommended tool kit is almost three times the price of that one by itself and the actual TB parts are also about three times the cost or even five times depending on how extensive of a kit you choose. Vendors have overhead so there is for sure going to be some fat that can be trimmed but it's difficult to figure out how to shave that much off without compromising a lot of important factors, imo.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think the Hans seller's name is Rothenbacher, he used to sell through a site called Prothe Auto Parts too I think. I'm sure the "Han's" website does better, it has a better sounding name, at any rate same crap at any site he has. Many have gotten screwed with his marginal parts.

Must have list to do the TB:

Injection pump lock pin - you might be able to subsitute 10 or 11mm deep socket.
Camshaft lock plate
Tensioner pin wrench
Camshaft sprocket support wrench.

I think I got my pin wrenches from Sir Tools (ST) but it's been a while. The one lock pin I have I'm sure is likely to be same brand, the other one came with a lift gauge I bought to do old school mechanical IDI engines. Lock plate was also ST I think. The Camshaft support wrench I think I got at Harbor Freight it was for something else and I made it work.

I'm not saying that what the prior poster said about replacing water pump isn't recommended, but I only replace a water pump when there are signs that it's going. Since the WP isn't driven by the TB on the 1Z/AHU/AFN (and can be changed without messing with the TB) I see no reason to replace the water pump early.

PS - there are lots of tool sellers online that have the tools you need. Do a little shopping and you'll probably find a good deal on them all.

Steve

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
Thank you. I'm trying to replace anything that could go in the next 100000 while the engine is out.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
What are the signs of a water pump about to fail?

I've seen water pumps that haven't failed yet and I've seen water pumps that have failed. If there's an in-between state I haven't come across it yet :) The former obviously get replaced by me since I'm not about to put them back into service for another 100,000 miles...but if I wanted to give it a shot, what kinds of things should I be checking to ensure it's not about to go?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
What are the signs of a water pump about to fail?

I've seen water pumps that haven't failed yet and I've seen water pumps that have failed. If there's an in-between state I haven't come across it yet :) The former obviously get replaced by me since I'm not about to put them back into service for another 100,000 miles...but if I wanted to give it a shot, what kinds of things should I be checking to ensure it's not about to go?
You'll start to see bright pink traces around parts of the WP where coolant is leaking, right under the pump driveshaft is a good place.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’ve never replaced a water pump, when doing the timing belt. Every VW pump I’ve ever come across, always has a built in weep hole, that’ll start dripping, giving you notice.

As for the tools, I own the proper tools, but they can definitely be substituted for other items. A door hinge can be used for the lock plate and as mentioned, a socket can be used for the lock pin.

I’ve been using a large adjustable wrench on the #1 cam lobe, for over a decade

When torquing the cam bolt. I go to 52#s. I’ve had a sprocket move, when using the factory value. The flat of the wrench contacts the flat of the lobe. Cover it with a rag, if you’re apprehensive, but I’ve never made a mark with this method.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Add one more tool to your list. VCDS!
Yeah, I have one but it's not really a necessary item for everyone. There are enough dispersed VCDS cables and GTG's out there that a person can access it with a little hunting or posting up in the regional forums.

There are several people local to me that have it and we have a small German car owners group here so even though VW is not as big here as it is say out east or on the west coast, I can find what I need with a couple texts.

Steve