Dash wont come on, only battery light and wont start

oldtdiguy

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi man trans
So basically the title says it all. My headlights and other lights are working, but the only thing on the dash that will light up is the battery light when I turn the key forward. Odometer and every other digital readout is blank. I did test the battery and its good (not to mention only about a month old).

Side note, I was looking under the dash for notorious relay 109 but cant find it anywhere. There is however a relay 110. Is this a different relay or maybe an updated version of the 109?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: yes, car wont start. Turns over and hiccups but wont run.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If 109 went bad your car wouldn't start. Have you checked your gauge fuses?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Relay 109 supplies power to the ECU, so it can cause all sorts of havoc. But not the no instrument cluster items. I'd suspect the ignition switch or some major carnage with the fuses or circuitry. There is a major connect to the cabin from on top of the battery, maybe see if you're getting 12v to the fuse box inside. Don't forget the grounds, 3 under the battery and a couple near the dash.

oldtdiguy

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi man trans
Relay 109 supplies power to the ECU, so it can cause all sorts of havoc. But not the no instrument cluster items. I'd suspect the ignition switch or some major carnage with the fuses or circuitry. There is a major connect to the cabin from on top of the battery, maybe see if you're getting 12v to the fuse box inside. Don't forget the grounds, 3 under the battery and a couple near the dash.

My big question is where is this relay, and is relay 110 supposed to be there.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
110 is most common as a fog light relay. It shouldn't be in that spot, but even then, it has literally nothing to do with the gauge cluster. It powers the ECM and fuel shutoff solenoid primarily.

oldtdiguy

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi man trans
110 is most common as a fog light relay. It shouldn't be in that spot, but even then, it has literally nothing to do with the gauge cluster. It powers the ECM and fuel shutoff solenoid primarily.
Thank you for the clarification on this one. I just cant find the 109 relay. Ive been all up under the dash, taken it apart after watching videos on its location, and while there are other relays that I can find, the 109 just isnt anywhere to be seen. Im loosing my mind it feels like.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is currently in the location of the #12 relay socket then? If the 110 is in there, it may work there, or someone's rewired it. Even then, it shouldn't affect your gauges.

Have you checked the fuses for the gauge cluster?

oldtdiguy

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi man trans
What do you guys use to upload pics? Maybe if I can upload one that would help because Im not sure where position 12 is.

Yes this is an 02 jetta tdi alh.

Random thought...does the location change depending on which side the steering wheel is on? I have left side steering (american standard) but the video I watched was euro ride side. Ive been looking to the left under the steering column.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No its the same. Should be middle row, second from the right. If you look at BobOh's signature he has a link on how to post photos.

oldtdiguy

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi man trans
No its the same. Should be middle row, second from the right. If you look at BobOh's signature he has a link on how to post photos.
So what youre saying is that it is actually on the passenger side in my car? That would make sense why I wasnt seeing it.
Update: Ive got the stupid thing in my hand now. It was tucked up under a large black relay box. Now-is there a way to test it with a multimeter?

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
A typical 109 relay has the circuit diagram printed on the case. Apply 12v and see what it does.
For $14 shipped, I would buy a new one and keep the old one as a spare if it checks ok.