"Popping" trunk lid fully open

Falkor

TDI
I have a 2002 Jetta. Is there a way to have the trunk lid "pop" all the way open when you release the latch either from the door switch or the fob? I deliver pizza and carrying an arm full to the trunk Id like to be able to open it the fob and not have to fumble with lifting the lid. Has anyone done this? I thought replacing one of the lift arms might work…

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
There a several pivots on each side, oiling them well, after cleaning can make it a lot easier to open. Mine was really stiff but giving good attention to all the pivots (hinges) really made a difference. Still doesn't fully open by itself though. You'd have to experiment with "pushier" struts...at least on one side. I'm sure it's possible.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not that I am aware of, but there is a TSB for sticking hinges (requires new hinges) if they are binding. B5 sedans have the same issue.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Isn't the mechanism designed such that the struts hold the lid in the closed position until it is moved past a point where the struts push it open? An over-center type of affair?

To keep it from fully opening should one push the button while driving?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good point, but there may be a speed limit function in the CCM that can over ride it being opened anyway. I've never tried to do this while moving. ;)

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Just tried my '16. It does fully open on its own. Maybe my '2 and '98 have weak struts.

Or maybe the older ones won't open even with good struts and it's the fact that later cars have more nannying built into the computers?

I'll have to try the '2 while driving.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would purchase 2 new trunk struts that are known to be stiffer.The trunk lid on the A4 Jetta will need a lot of force to lift the first 12".

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've never had/seen a MklV Jetta that would "open" the truck lid. The release only unlocks it in my experience.
After watching a few Red Green episodes I'm thinking a clothesline rope and some duct tape to thepower sunroof would fully open the trunk with a turn of the dial. Probably have to close it manual method.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well you know what they say, they may not find you handsome, but at least they'll fine you handy.