03 Golf died. Help diagnoseing please.

Devildog

TDI
03 ALH Golf, 2001 Jetta Tdi
On my way to work car was running great I got off the freeway and as I pulled away from the light car started to cough and chug at first it felt like there was no boost. The it acted like it was going to to clear up and then it just died. And no restart. I have checked bus 109 and fuse 32 booth are good. Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Do you have an air bubble in the fuel hose ( clear hose going to injection pump )?

Get any fuel recently?

When was the fuel filter replaced?

When was the timing belt changed and by whom?

When you turn the key to on position does the GP light come on momentarily?

Devildog

TDI
Got fuel hundred miles ago didn't see any air in fuel line.
I did the timing belt the same time I did the head studs ,cam , turbo, intercooler, injection pump,and injectors. Less than a thousand miles ago.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’d recheck the mechanical timing, pin everything and make sure it all lines up.
Do a quick check , pull the upper TB cover and make sure the tab for the tensioner hasn’t jumped out of the tab, it’s a long shot but doesn’t take too much time to check.

How many miles on car?

Devildog

TDI
140 thousand
And I will check the timing and the voltage.
When I get back in town.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Got fuel hundred miles ago didn't see any air in fuel line.
QUOTE]
With the car off you should see a small air bubble in the highest point of the clear fuel line.

Sounds like you have a air leak somewhere.

Take the plastic tee off the fuel filter and see if the filter is full.
Probably not.
Fill it with fuel and put the tee back on.
I smear some Vaseline on the O-rings so they go in easy and helps with leaks.

Use a vacuum pump to purge the air out of the return line sucking fuel & air out of the pump.

You will also want to crack the injector lines 1/4 turn loose at the injector end and crank the engine to get the air out of the lines.
Have rags around the area to catch the fuel.

You may want to charge the battery if you have been cranking it a lot.