Reviewing the Volkswagen Passat

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Well, I certainly agree with one point in this review. If VW is really on a campaign toward a substantial increase in US sales, they need a different standard engine than the old and clunky 5-cylinder in their flagship models.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
<RANT>
Just watch them finally offer a Golf Plus with the 2.5 engine as the only option.
Give me a Golf+ with the passat's TDI for ~$23k w/ decent options and I'd probably be buying a vehicle that I currently don't need.
</RANT>

The 2.5 does drive better than many Toyota offerings but the mpg and power band disappoint me.

Once you option a NA passat to another engine, much of the price competitiveness isn't there. this

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Having driven a 1.8l for the past few weeks, I really don't understand why that was not used in the base passat instead of the 2.5. However, I would not buy one without the tdi. (too spoiled)

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Nice little video. But note at 0:14 the chinese characters embossed on the fender protector - a sad reminder that "designed with the US in mind" is really cover for "designed for China" (like many of the Detroit 3's better offerings these days) followed by the realization that that sort of thing would fit neatly in the emptying US niche of large non-luxury cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Can you blame a company catering to a growth martket? sadly USA ain't it anymore.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Can you blame a company catering to a growth martket? sadly USA ain't it anymore.
Quite true. Don't remember the exact date but do remember reading that in the next few years, China will be the largest consumer of vehicles. Followed in a few more years by India.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
Quite true. Don't remember the exact date but do remember reading that in the next few years, China will be the largest consumer of vehicles. Followed in a few more years by India.
China: Yes but there is no way India can become the second most. There is no room to drive and park cars in India even in a third and fourth tier cities.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, I certainly agree with one point in this review. If VW is really on a campaign toward a substantial increase in US sales, they need a different standard engine than the old and clunky 5-cylinder in their flagship models.
I just finished a 2 day rental of a Golf with the 2.5, automatic. I was inclined to call it "old and clunky" myself but I found myself really enjoying the car. The engine was very smooth, much smoother than a TDI. It produces usable torque, unlike say a Honda engine that really needs to be wrung out to produce any kind of thrust. It had just a hint of a nice exhaust note, and I found it reasonably quick for a daily driver.

On the fuel economy side, we had snow in the last couple of days, the car was on snow tires. and in steady-state autoroute driving I was getting about 6.8 L/100 km. In more local driving, around 7.6. That isn't great but it isn't terrible either, about the same as I got with my B6 Passat 2.0T, but with the advantage of burning RUG.

So while not state-of-the-art, for someone who drives about 20k km per year or less, it's plenty adequate.

Of course I'd like to see a more efficient gasser. I was just reading about the new 3-series with the turbocharged 240 hp 4-cyl that we're about to get and it's rated 5.6 L/100 km highway with manual, 5.3 with 8-speed automatic, and it produces 260 lb-ft of torque with peak at a ridiculously low 1250 rpm. It actually equals or betters the consumption of the 335D.

Engines like that are probably going to make diesels more than pointless in the very near future. Given VW's propensity for blowing HPFPs, and all the Rube Goldberg emission control appliances on our TDIs, that's probably not a bad thing.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I just finished a 2 day rental of a Golf with the 2.5, automatic. I was inclined to call it "old and clunky" myself but I found myself really enjoying the car. The engine was very smooth, much smoother than a TDI. It produces usable torque, unlike say a Honda engine that really needs to be wrung out to produce any kind of thrust. It had just a hint of a nice exhaust note, and I found it reasonably quick for a daily driver.

On the fuel economy side, we had snow in the last couple of days, the car was on snow tires. and in steady-state autoroute driving I was getting about 6.8 L/100 km. In more local driving, around 7.6. That isn't great but it isn't terrible either, about the same as I got with my B6 Passat 2.0T, but with the advantage of burning RUG.

So while not state-of-the-art, for someone who drives about 20k km per year or less, it's plenty adequate.

Of course I'd like to see a more efficient gasser. I was just reading about the new 3-series with the turbocharged 240 hp 4-cyl that we're about to get and it's rated 5.6 L/100 km highway with manual, 5.3 with 8-speed automatic, and it produces 260 lb-ft of torque with peak at a ridiculously low 1250 rpm. It actually equals or betters the consumption of the 335D.

Engines like that are probably going to make diesels more than pointless in the very near future. Given VW's propensity for blowing HPFPs, and all the Rube Goldberg emission control appliances on our TDIs, that's probably not a bad thing.
I would not underestimate the diesel engine or it's potential....Gasoline rated engines always chew more unless driven by slow guys ( you sir) and the Rube goldberg emissions will definitely get sorted out....diesels have a long future ahead...the market around the world is too big to ignore....

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would not underestimate the diesel engine or it's potential....Gasoline rated engines always chew more unless driven by slow guys ( you sir) and the Rube goldberg emissions will definitely get sorted out....diesels have a long future ahead...the market around the world is too big to ignore....
Meanwhile we're the guinea pigs :(

Slow... well, at 100 km/h I beat the Transport Canada ratings for both my previous B6 Passat and current Golf by about the same amount, 0.4 L/100 km ;)

And I consider any speed above that too fast unless my vehicle has wings and will be leaving the ground momentarily or has just touched down, at least on the roads we have around here :D

(my Beech Sundowner lifts off at 65 knots which is about 120 km/h; and there are some roads around here where that speed would also launch my Golf into the air...:eek:)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to NY Times, China has implemented an antidumping 8-22% import fee on US produced vehicles depending on engine size, in addition too the current 25% import fee and the VAT taxes of 1-40%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/b...s-on-some-vehicles-from-the-us.html?src=busln

"A Jeep Grand Cherokee that begins at $27,490 at dealerships in the United States costs $85,000 or more in China."

The original link from yahoo said that China passed the US last year in auto sales.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
"China’s commerce ministry, which has conducted a two-year trade investigation of the American imports, gave no explanation for its decision to impose the duties."

Not a stretch to assume the absence of Chinese imports has something to do with it. China wants to enter the US auto market in the near future, so having stiff tariffs in place now will be a bargaining chip later -- not to mention quelling our GDP for now.

The article also outlines pissing contests over various trade issues. China needs to be careful here; as an economy heavily weighted on exports they have more to lose than developed nations -- as they don't have a monopoly on cheap labor.

Dusto

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon Highline DSG, Lockwood Door Sills
The 2.5L in my 07 rabbit has been bulletproof. 210,000kms and not 1 issue with the motor or tranny. It has good usable power around town and handles the highway quite well with very good passing power.

Great note from the engine makes you feel like you driving something with soul.