Cooling Fan

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
When I shut off my passat tonight, the cooling fan remained on for about 10 mins. While I have had other cars that did this (including 83 Scirocco) I don't ever remember it staying on so long. Have others experienced this? Any concerns?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Regen. If you start it back up, it will continue the regen with REALLY hot exhaust.
Could be in the middle of a regen of the DPF, or it has already finished. The fans only come on due to the heat build up. The fans will remain on until the heats disapated from the regen.

Because the fans are on, doesn't mean it's currently in the middle of a regen. Ususally idle and an uptick in boost is a sign it's activly in the process of regening the DPF.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh joy, this topic STILL gets started repeatedly as a new thread? Seriously?

Didn't someone even post the page in the manual that tells about the regen specifics?

Come on, everyone has to poop, and every new car comes with a manual.... see where I am going with this? :p

I guess this is 'technically' a new model, but much of it is lifted from what is now 3 years old.

A google search of 'TDIclub cooling fans running' will land several relevant hits in the first half dozen of MANY.

Last edited:

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
Thanks for all the friendly responses.

As for oil hammer, not only are you far from friendly but inaccurate as well. I did try a TDI post search of "cooling fan" and it produced posts relating to "low speed fan errors", "china parts", "what do you tow" and "error codes". So sorry I added 1 extra thread to the thousands that are already here.:mad: lighten up francis

mbaker01

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
I'm glad this was posted. I have a new 2012 Passat SE TDI and this happened and I wondered what the fan noise was...then I wondered if I should let my car idle for a while before shutting it off...wasn't familiar with this "regen" thing...thanks for the question and responses.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Thanks for all the friendly responses.

As for oil hammer, not only are you far from friendly but inaccurate as well. I did try a TDI post search of "cooling fan" and it produced posts relating to "low speed fan errors", "china parts", "what do you tow" and "error codes". So sorry I added 1 extra thread to the thousands that are already here.:mad: lighten up francis
lojeff10,

For someone new you need to show more respect!

Oil Hammer is one of the good guys and someone you want on your side, so admit you did not do good enough of a search and don't blame others for calling you out.

So what is the Francis reference?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I'm glad this was posted. I have a new 2012 Passat SE TDI and this happened and I wondered what the fan noise was...then I wondered if I should let my car idle for a while before shutting it off...wasn't familiar with this "regen" thing...thanks for the question and responses.

Funny, I don't own any VW's that do the regen yet I knew this from my hours of reading through all the posts here (usually daily and not just on my model).

Ironic that the two finding the information the most helpful just registered in October. :) Have you guys ever owned another TDI?

Might be an indicator that VW is reaching a wider demographic with the new Passat model, instead of just us diehard long timers.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Its always nice to have new members as we all share a love for our TDIs. For many though it is frustrating to see the same posts over and over again so it is generally expected that some searching be done prior to posting. I agree oil hammer is a good guy so lets not turn this into a p*****g contest. Eat, drink, and be merry....tis the season :-D

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
lojeff10,

For someone new you need to show more respect!

Oil Hammer is one of the good guys and someone you want on your side, so admit you did not do good enough of a search and don't blame others for calling you out.

So what is the Francis reference?
Look at the first few posts. I think I did a pretty good job thanking and giving my appreciation/respect to some folks getting back to me quickly. In response to the hammer, I was pointing out that the TDI post search didn't produce results that matched my question. (far from it) The new passats with urea injection is a new setup. Some have questioned if regeneration happens (I guess it does) for the new passats. Even veteran member's have mixed things up.

While I'm sure the hammer has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about TDIs, he post wasn't too friendly. While I have limited VW experience and no diesel experience, I have been active in forums for my accord/4Runner so I know how the whole forum thing works. Newbies are looking for info and hopefully they can contribute sometime down the road. No need to jump all over the new guy.

As for the Francis comment, it is a classic quote from Stripes. Perhaps I am too old but worth the rental if you haven't seen it. Here's the setup of the first day at army camp: Some self proclaimed psycho named francis list a bunch of rules and problems 1)don't call me francis, I'll kill you if you call me francis 2) don't touch me 3) don't touch my stuff etc... The platoon leader's response is "lighten up Francis"...again, great movie and on free demand in many places. hammer's 1)not another post 2) read the manual 3)do a search reminded me of this scene. Again, sorry for the older movie reference but a classic in my time.

-peace

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
My understanding is that not every time the cooling fan runs after shut down does it mean that there was a regen. I asked my service manager about this. Other evidence of a regen in progress is higher than usual rpms (about 1000) at idle. Also, you may notice a slight decrease in mpgs on that particular trip.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Regading: regens...If the car is not moving down the road, prepare for some very strong odors. I thought I had an electrical fire the first time...
Welcome to the newbies. I asked the SAME question early in 2009...and yes, Oilhammer has incredible knowledge, which he shares frequently.