Will this work as a replacement turbo?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Brand. Generic. Lol. With how ridiculously cheap that is, I strongly question its reliability.

04silvertdi

TDI
04 bew
Yea that's what I figured. I just didnt know if it would work on the beater for work lol. I'd hate to pay half what I paid for the car on a turbo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not entirely sure what that turbo is, but it's not a VNT-17. It isn't plug and play on your BEW. The compressor exit is in the wrong place and won't connect to your intercooler piping.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'm with IBW, wrong turbo on many levels. You might try looking for a 1749vb turbo like this one: https://www.idparts.com/garrett-vnt-17-turbocharger-a4-alh-p-541.html.
If your turbo compressor housing isn't trashed, you might swap out the CHRA with one from Rock Auto. You basically remove the cold side of the turbo from the exhaust manifold, remove the CHRA from the exhaust manifold, and make sure there are no burrs of any kind to affect the turbine rotation and bolt it back together.
Here is the Rock Auto link:https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...rged,3169,engine,turbocharger+cartridge,49430
$270.00 w/o shipping.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Yea that's what I figured. I just didnt know if it would work on the beater for work lol. I'd hate to pay half what I paid for the car on a turbo.
I've never understood this mentality, no offense. A cheap turbo implosion then makes your 'cheap' work beater a waste of money in a pile of immobile steel.

Buy the correct part if you want the car to continue to be your work beater. These cars are really cheap to run even buying good parts.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Exactly you just do not want to play with knock off turbo, unless you just do not care about your car