iPod/iPhone integration on the Passat TDI SE

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey guys,

I tried searching the forums and a general google search but am not getting any consistent answers.

On the SE trim level; where exactly is the iPod MDI connection located? I tried searching the glove box and the center arm rest but am coming up empty.

I know I have the 12V connection for power and the Bluetooth all set up for the phone but would love to know if the MDI was on the SE trim or not.

Thanks in advance!

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine doesn't have it. It is an option. I just use Bluetooth and have a charger to keep phone charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
It only comes on the following TDI models:
- SEL
- SE w/DSG & Nav

If you have one of these models phone your dealer if can't find the MDI.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Ah, I see.

I have the SE with DSG & Sunroof. I guess I can make do with the 12V and AUX in in the center rest console.

Thanks guys!

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
yeah i Have the base car (SE) and I use the aux in with no problem (the one next to the 12v jack).

so im guessing you can get teh iPod jack in the fancy-pants SEL?

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
You can't play over bluetooth? I have a Galaxy S Droid phone and the music player connects over bluetooth. I have a base SE with 6-speed manual.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
A related question comes to mind for Passat owners with the MDI cable. Does the MDI have any advantages over bluetooth? (integration, controls, etc.)

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I have an SE w/Sunroof and Nav, and I have an MDI. I don't typically use an iPod, but I did hook up my wife's Nano and it worked perfectly.

The advantage of the MDI connection over playing via bluetooth on my Galaxy S phone is that the MDI connection allows me to see the playlist and control it via the radio and steering wheel controls. When streaming music via bluetooth on my phone, I have to change songs on my phone, which is much less convenient and more distracting while driving.

If I bought the MDI cable to hook up my phone, I am not sure it would allow me to control it similar to the iPod.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
The Bluetooth is a bit weird on mine. When paired, iTunes automatically plays songs, I noticed this when my iPhone heated up in my pocket, also theres no way that I saw so far to navigate playlists from the touchscreen or steering wheel. So the drain on battery life is a minor obstacle.

With that said, the voice activated Bluetooth is great for phone calls.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
There's a setting in either the head unit or MFD to disable auto-play. One the MDI cable allows for playlist integration on the head unit.

More info please on "voice activated bluetooth", such as what commands available. I thought voice activation was only available on SEL models (via RNS510)?

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I haven't played with all of the Main Menu commands on the Voice Activation feature, so far "Call Contact Name, at home or work" etc..., and answer Yes or No to the confirmation, and I can toggle through some phone call commands on the steering wheel and dash menu display (End Call, Contacts, Recent Calls)

Incoming calls will cut off my music music and while there might be a voice command to answer it, so far I just hit the "Answer Call" prompt via steering wheel.

Also if I activate Siri on my iPhone 4S, it patches through to the BlueTooth which is kind of neat but not too useful so far.

I've discovered the auto play settings for BlueTooth under "Settings" > "Media" and unclicked that box.

Right now the current thing I'm trying to figure out is that audio via Satellite, Radio, and Aux all seem to be coming in at a similar volume level but if I switch over to BT, the music coming from my iPhone is easily double the volume. I'm talking crazy distorted loud. Not sure if this can be adjusted? Currently I have to remember to just turn the volume way down prior to switching music over to BT

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Good to know there's some bluetooth phone integration on non-SEL... Thanks.
Others posted about the PITA of getting all audio source volume levels set.

westlake jager

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Bluetooth audio playing (from the iPhone) is horrible. The audio quality is not up to speed. Bluetooth in this radio model is only meant for voice quality. MDI plug plays the music much better, however it's a pain to plug it in each time. Also, when connected to bluetooth, the iPhone starts the music automatically, and I have to turn it off every time...

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey guys,

Had one last question about the bluetooth Phone integration. What exactly is the "Phone Tag" command option that shows up under a person's contact info on the MFI?

My guess is that it lets you bypass to a person's voice mail to leave a message, but find it odd that it would warrant its own dedicated command on the bluetooth.

Has anyone used this?