Passat TDI Wagon?

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
Any news on a new Passat wagon TDI? If so, would it be available with a manual trans. in North America? And would it be the same as the Jetta TDI as far as biodiesel use, only 5% warranted by the manufacturer? Thanks.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I think VW is afraid an AWD Passat would take some sales away from Audi. I think a TDI A-6 wagon would sell well here in the US

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
The reason why not, as quoted in the press, was "it would be about the same size as the Jetta wagon". This is goofy, and I'm surprised nobody has called them on it: The current Jetta wagon may be somewhat close in interior size to the previous Passat wagon, and I don't know how the new ROW Passat wagon compares (and it matters not).
But a wagon version of the new US Passat, even if it only has a little more cargo space than the Jetta wagon, would still have a vastly larger interior.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
The reason why not, as quoted in the press, was "it would be about the same size as the Jetta wagon". This is goofy, and I'm surprised nobody has called them on it: The current Jetta wagon may be somewhat close in interior size to the previous Passat wagon, and I don't know how the new ROW Passat wagon compares (and it matters not).
But a wagon version of the new US Passat, even if it only has a little more cargo space than the Jetta wagon, would still have a vastly larger interior.
I think you hit the nail on the problem. This is a model built specifically for the NA market....which presents them with a lot of work to get a wagon cranking out of the choo choo.

Add to that they can't even meet the demand for the sedans. If they do a wagon at all, I think 2015 or later....in other words ....don't hold your breath.

Wagons are making a come-back big time though for their utility and better FE vs. a SUV.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Wagons are making a come-back big time though for their utility and better FE vs. a SUV.
I think you hit the other nail on the head. Crossovers are the hottest segment in the industry. They may have less room than full sized SUVs, but price tags and fuel economy are much better. Wagons tend to be even less pricey and better on fuel. As fuel and vehicle prices continue to climb, wagons could become the new family truckster of choice.