engine light- throttle plate closed/stuck

Strack

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a pic of the throttle plate area in a 06 Jetta (5 speed)?

My engine light keeps coming on and off again, and Auto Zone scanned the code, but i'm tring to find the correct part and location under the hood. If it's an electrical connecion thats come loose, that would be a simple fix, but i'm not exactly certain of the location of the throttle plate.

If anyone who can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much! Thanks!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
The ASV valve is on the backside of the VC on the passenger side of the car..It has the IC pipe pugged into it. you undo the IC rear most connection and you look into the ASV towards the EGR and you will see the 'flapper'. The electrical connection is underneath by the timing cover, underneath the same IC hose...you can reach it from underneath..Again remove the IC pipe and its easy to get to..

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
I had a 06 car 165k miles, recently with a asv fault. Found that the valve was sticking open and had a spot binding sometimes about 3/4 of closing.

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info, but what does ASV and VC & IC stand for?

The codes from Auto Zone as follows:

881, open or short circuit condition.
882. pool electrical connection.
883. Throttle body stuck closed/binding
884. Throttle body fault

If anyone has a pic to the TDI engine's throttle plate area, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones input.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Strack said:
Thanks for the info, but what does ASV and VC & IC stand for?

The codes from Auto Zone as follows:

881, open or short circuit condition.
882. pool electrical connection.
883. Throttle body stuck closed/binding
884. Throttle body fault

If anyone has a pic to the TDI engine's throttle plate area, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones input.
ASV Anti shudder valve
VC Valve Cover
IC Inter Cooler

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Sounds like when they put the codes in the computer they didn't use a TDI they used a gasser. There is no throttle plate in a diesel. What the others have said is true. The Anti-Shutter Valve is probably going. I'll try and find a picture for you.

Last edited:

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to take a pic, it's greatly appreciated. I'll go back and have the car scanned again, reminding them that it's a diesel and it has no throttle plate. if you can find apic of the ASV, that would be great!

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
The ASV is in the pic on the right hand side. The upper IC pipe is on the left (disconnected from the ASV). Out of the picture to the right is the EGR valve where the ASV connects to. Here is another looking into the ASV.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
The ASV is used as a throttle plate under certain conditions to throttle EGR to the engine..

Fords 6L and 6.4 and the 2l CRD use a throttle plate to change the velocity of the intake charge through the intake..most emission diesel engines use a throttle plate to change the intake air velocity..

The 2L has a intake throttle plate for each cylinder in the intake manifold..(4 plates).

Strack

Veteran Member
I had the car scanned again today. The code that was detected was P2112. If it is the ASV, can it be cleaned, repaired or must it be replaced? Thanks again for the pics and help!

Mach1

TDI
I say throttle the EGR, it does this by closing the ASV flapper which in turn pulls more flow from the egr valve..This is only done under certain conditions...

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Mach1 said:
I say throttle the EGR, it does this by closing the ASV flapper which in turn pulls more flow from the egr valve..This is only done under certain conditions...
Very interesting, I had no idea the anti-shutter valve was used in that fashion.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
mdfirefighter said:
... There is no throttle plate in a diesel. What the others have said is true.
Argh, why do people keep saying that? Many diesels, including VAG PDs, use a throttle plate. :rolleyes:

It is more for EGR flow control than anything, but rest assured it most certainly IS a throttle plate, and that is what it is commonly called. It's technical name is intake manifold control flap, or regulating flap.

FWIW, my 240D, which has no EGR at all, also has a throttle plate connected mechanically straight to the accelerator pedal. ;)

oilhammer

TDI
Try cleaning it first. Remove it to clean, being careful not to get any solvents in the electrical parts. The you will need to recalibrate it be resetting Group 00 in the adaptation of the engine ECU (it will recalibrate eventually, this way is just faster). There may also be something in basic settings, not sure off hand though.

And if cleaning won't work, then you will need to replace it.

Mach1

TDI
OH, is that a stepper motor in the ASV? It looks as if it is homing when you first turn the key on..

Thanks..

oilhammer

TDI
It is not an anti-shudder-valve, that is merely one of its several functions, and a rather minor one at that.

Yes, there is a motor inside, just like the electronic throttles on the gassers.

Mach1

TDI
Thanks..Mine homes when the key is activated and when the key is shutoff..

shawnethan

TDI
2006 Jetta
Same problem sort of....

First I am new to this forum but this has been fantastic with the pictures and the help. I had the dreaded gear strip in the flapper valve on the black half gear. Must have been stuck on start up then continued to strip it out. The electric motor still works, does anyone rebuild these flapper control valves or have a link to after market - I hate to go to the dealer for a 50 cent gear and have to buy the entire assembly for big $$$$$

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
I just found this thread and am thinking I have the same issue with our 2006 TDi. It throws the "Emissions Workshop" warning up and the ENGINE LIGHT shows up on the panel. It does not seem to affect power or mileage. I pulled the code with my OBD2 tester and got the P2112. My tester says this condition is "Generic Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys - Stuck Closed"

Is the fix likely to be the gear that controls the ASV flapper?

I also read that there was a TSB for the intake flap motor but we never got any notice from the dealership so I am not certain it applies to our Jetta?

Thanks

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
I'll open it up and see if I can see a broken gear or any obstruction and go from there- Thanks

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
part numbers for anyone who needs them

No time to tear it apart last night but I followed up with the local stealership today and explained the issue. The VW part number is 03G 131 501AD and they quoted me $346.95 for the part.

Rock Auto has two parts listed for this - it was a little clunky to navigate their site but for our 06 TDi I went under the year, then Jetta TDi and under EMISSION then EGR. They list :

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # EGV1081 $277.79

and then

AIRTEX Part # 4F1959 {#03G131501D, 03G131501N, EGR4409}
03G 131 501AD at $313.79

1stvwparts.com shows the following- BEST PRICE I COULD FIND

03G131501N $347.00 $0.00 $257.13 Emission system - Emission components - Egr valve
Egr valve - 1.9 liter 2005 - 2006

I have had excellent results from 1stVW and RockAuto in the past but if i end up having to order one I'll be on with 1stVW. I do wonder if the new number is a new part vs. the number 1stVW uses may be the old (crappy?) part.

Will post more once I can tell you the outcome

oilhammer

TDI
The EGR valve is not the same as the intake manifold control flap, and the EGR valve is available two ways. One way it is $245, the other is $330 (VW list prices, approximate). Just depends on if you want the flange with it or not.

The throttle body, or 'regulating flap', part number 03G-128-063-G is $275 IIRC.

Last edited:

McDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta, Spice Red
So to clarify, the part number I had is for the whole assembly WITH the EGR and your p/n is just the Throttle Body and ASV flapper w/o the EGR?

1stVW still has a better price

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price 03G128063G $283.90 $0.00 $210.37
Throttle body, jetta, 1.9l tdi

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
shawnethan said:
I hate to go to the dealer for a 50 cent gear and have to buy the entire assembly for big $$$$$
Hmmm reminds me of my icemaker experience. Wanted to charge $127 for a new unit as the gear was not available by itself. I carved one myself using the broken pieces as a guide. Still going strong 5 years later. Same thing on my aircon controls on a 99 Tahoe. $400 and a new control panel later I test and find one blown resistor that RS gave me for free as a replacement. Kept it as a spare. Seems like that is the new trend. Can't buy parts, you must buy assemblies now.