Reliabilty mods for my grocery getter?

aki11ez

TDI
jetta 99.5
I have a 99.5 jetta tdi that has 100k and the engine is a virgin (other than the milage) to date. I have a turbo rx7 that i use for thrills and such so I want this car to get good gas mileage and last forever (who doesn't). I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty so with that in mind, what types of reliabily mods would you suggest to keep this car going as long as possible.

Things to know; NO EMMISIONS IN MY AREA!!

I've read the faq about the egr, and ccv (?) mods and plan to do them asap. I also plan to run amsoil synthetic motor oil, are there any fuel type additives that you guys recommend?

Altho I am a big rotary fan, I love the diesl as well, for very different reasons, and I love to see you guys who are racing them. Maybe I will autox my jetta sometime in the future.

I guess since this is my first post let me say, what a GREAT forum! I've already read through most of the faq's and a couple walkthroughs and all the info is invaluable! Thanks in advance to any opinions.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
what types of reliabily mods would you suggest to keep this car going as long as possible.
The replacement of the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, and all mounting bolts at the recommended interval. Preferably with an upgrade to the extended-life timing belt, good for 100k miles. And replacement of the water pump each time you change the TB.

Also, using a fuel additive that improves lubricity. Some additives do that and more. But lubricity seems to be a key factor in getting the most miles out of your injection pump. B20 or canola oil may help, too.

Finally, don't baby your TDI. They need a regular workout.

aki11ez

TDI
jetta 99.5
now when you say "extended life belt" do you just mean the 02 a4 belt? or is there an actual, base belt, and upgrade belt for the 00 a4's

thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
now when you say "extended life belt" do you just mean the 02 a4 belt? or is there an actual, base belt, and upgrade belt for the 00 a4's
The original TB on your 1999.5 Jetta was rated at 60k miles if you have a manual transmission. The extended life belt and tensioner were introduced mid-way through the 2001 model year, and rated at 80k miles. For 2003 model year and after, with a different idler I think, they are rated at 100k miles.