Finding TDC Manual Transmission

IrishMadman

Greetings,

I am doing my first timing belt change using the guild listed in the FAQ. I am on page 88 (19.3) and trying to set my flywheel to TDC. I have looked at the picture listed and really have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for. I have spun the flywheel back and forth several times and still don’t find any “markings” that jump out to me as being TDC. A detailed description of how this works on a manual transmission would be wonderful. I just want to make sure I don’t screw anything up.

Thanks,

Irish

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Hi Irish,

I usually get it close by looking at the cam lobes and the slot on the camshaft. Move it very slowly once your close, but not quite there yet. When the slot on the cam is lined up,(use your cam tool to check, but remove it after each check), you should be in the window at the flywheel. If you can't see the mark, it should require very little movement to make it show up. Try to move it as little as you possibly can. It's that sensitive.

Roger

IrishMadman

Hmmmm...my camshaft has been locked since an earlier step (with the cam tool). My flywheel will spin even if it is locked (seems to move around 360 degrees before it stops). This is a manual transmission, there seems to me a line for the automatics, not sure what I am supposed to be looking for on the manual...all I see is teeth...:)

Later,

Irish

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
You should not be turning the crankshaft with the camshaft locked! If this is the condition, your belt is skipping teeth or your camshaft pulley (sprocket) is slipping on the camshaft. Also, this is an interference engine and rotating it with either of the above conditions should cause it to stop due to a valve contacting a piston (Oh no!) as you rotate it. It can reach an interference point for any cylinder so this would happen more than once in 360 degrees of crank rotation. Re-check the directions and what you've done. Don't move it again until you know what you have. It is easy to damage the valvetrain and more if interference is encountered.