VE injector pop tester.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I always thought it would be nice do DIY pop test and calibrate my own VE injectors. Found this via google.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum...334-how-build-diesel-injector-pop-tester.html

Would that setup work on TDI injectors too? I know they run at much higher pressures than IDI injectors so I wonder if a 2 ton bottle jack would have enough umph to drive them.

Also, how hard is it to shim and calibrate them with a rig pictured above?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it can make enough for testing TDI injectors....lots of examples on the web using a bottle jack as a base for a pop tester...I'd probably use steel fittings but brass may be ok....not sure why he bothered using jb weld to fill the hole...he could've just welded it up

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Will that thing do both stages?
I think it takes very specialized equipment to test both stages....however I believe there is a way to temporarily replace a part in the injector so the second stage can be set with a conventional pop tester....I watched Franko6 doing this at a GTG....didn't really ask for details but others may want to chime in if they have more info...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I made something very similar with a 1.5 ton little tiny bottle jack and a 5000psi gauge.. It seems to work just fine for checking spray pattern and making sure injectors are assembled properly...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It seems to work just fine for checking spray pattern and making sure injectors are assembled properly...
FWIW I would agree. I built one back when I started to add IDIs to the fleet and modified it to do TDI injectors...for TDI (or dual-stage IDI) injectors that's what it's great for...checking spray patterns, confirming assembly, etc.

In my experience, *not* great for setting injection pressures...since there are two of them...particularly with a small diameter gauge. I have a 10" diameter gauge on mine (eBay special) and it's still sometimes hard to accurately check the primary breaking pressure reproducibly.

Also...if you're gonna set breaking pressures you'll need an assortment of shims...two sets...and I was never able to find a supplier for the TDI versions.

And yeah...the JB weld in that one makes me nervous...hi-pressure oil under the skin is very very serious. Welding the pin hole etc. makes more sense to me personally.

All in all...for the couple hundred bucks they'll charge me vs tracking down shims etc... I get my TDI injectors set by a pro. Still do my IDIs by hand tho... single-stage injectors are kinda fun to dial in. :)

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I made my own pop tester several years ago.
I used a 12 ton bottle jack.

Still works like a champ.
Not shown in the photos is an attached reservoir that I made from a brake fluid reservoir

Last edited: