DSG Auto DMF Failing or Failures Thread

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
You have a good person working on your car, throw parts at it until he fixes it, no diagnostics needed..Whats the next part to throw at it? Convince him the DSG transmission is making a clunk, so you can get a free DSG...

The alignment will be off, However VW doesnt agree with this and says the person doing the job can get it close enough(yeah right). So they dont pay for an alignment..

Ask me how I know this...

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
This thread is confusing me a bit...

I have a 2006 jetta tdi manual tranny, thats been showing signs of a failing DMF for sometime now... VW isnt fixing this stuff for free are they?

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux
Mach1 said:
You have a good person working on your car, throw parts at it until he fixes it, no diagnostics needed..Whats the next part to throw at it? Convince him the DSG transmission is making a clunk, so you can get a free DSG...

The alignment will be off, However VW doesnt agree with this and says the person doing the job can get it close enough(yeah right). So they dont pay for an alignment..

Ask me how I know this...
A little update on my car. So i went in tonight and talked to them. They had a meeting today about my car with the Dealer owner, VW Service Tech, and VW Regional manager. They found out today the CV joints are backordered 2-3weeks. So they knew it was NOT an option to have me waiting that long so they figured out that they could get VW to approve it between the incurred expenses of giving me a rental and not happy customer to replace the whole axle which COMES with a CV joint :). So they got it approved with VWoA and now it is being rush ordered here for Wed. Hopefully done on thursday at the latest....if all goes as planned. That being said i told them i WILL be leaving on friday for a 2000k mile trip to canada and i will not be driving a Toyota Rav4 they gave me off the lot as a loaner. They said ok we will make you a deal. If it is not done for some reason we will give you a Prius off the lot to take. Yes i did giggle a bit as i thought to myself what....a prius...ugh... But i did agree it was better than a Rav4 in mpg but those crappy seats are already haunting me. He said that they will do there best and there top priority is to get me MY car back and not have to deal with a loaner anymore. I thanked them for all there help and great service because truely they have done great as far as getting me whats needed under warranty. 3k plus in free parts/labor so far.

-Justin

Mach1

TDI
Justin, convince them your have a problem in the trans and get a $7000 DSG.

I hope they come through for you, I dont think you want to drive a Prius for 2000 miles..Not fun.

I like your thinking free parts!

Mach1

TDI
DR. That cant be good for anybody with a DSG DMF..

They are supposed to be good now...

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
Mach1 said:
DR. That cant be good for anybody with a DSG DMF..

They are supposed to be good now...
No Kidding....as i am thinking yea! i pick up my car tomorrow with a fresh axle and DMF...now will it just happen all over? Perhaps he is a fluke?

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh guys....its not over...Got a call this morning from the Dealer. Part got stuck at customs in canada!! So they scrambled with VWoA all morning and was able to locate an Axle at a dealer in Tenn. So the dealer is going to pay for Fedex Priority OVERNIGHT shipping so it will be here tomorrow morning and they can drop it in and have me out by noon. That is the plan anyways. They have been so great and helpful. They know i am going on a trip tomorrow and they are willing to pay a few hundred bucks out of pocket for overnight expenses so i can be on my way even after replacing all this under warranty. Been a nightmere but only because of the trip being in the way.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Alright I am going to add to this thread. My 06 has been rattling for a while now as I changed the oil yesterday diagnosed it to the DMF rattling. Any advise? Money is tight and I am not sure I have the time to do it myself. Has there been any recall type info in regards to this beeing a bad problem? any recomendations? I am way out of the warranty period at 113K miles on it.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
As I was, you are on your own bill here.

I would get it to Derek at Exclusiv, if you don't have the time. Even if you don't have the $$...charge it, sell parts, whatever. The $900 or so is cheap compared to a catastrophic event (engine / trans lockup).

Tony

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
TonyJetta said:
As I was, you are on your own bill here.

I would get it to Derek at Exclusiv, if you don't have the time. Even if you don't have the $$...charge it, sell parts, whatever. The $900 or so is cheap compared to a catastrophic event (engine / trans lockup).

Tony
I emailed him today. He has done work on my Jetta in the past. I like him and his work, just a little slow on communication.... He is usually my first call.

Mach1

TDI
Tony, that $900 is cheap, the part is $700, and the TTY's are another $50(if the tech replaces them). Tax is almost $100..So $50 to do the labor, that is a good deal.

I wont touch one for less then $500..

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mach1 said:
Tony, that $900 is cheap, the part is $700, and the TTY's are another $50(if the tech replaces them). Tax is almost $100..So $50 to do the labor, that is a good deal.

I wont touch one for less then $500..
I should have added...$900 is a SWAG.

When I replaced mine, in December of 2008, I had a pile of maintenance to complete: DSG DMF, DSG oil change, Timing belt, rear brakes, and oil change. So, all the $ I spent that month was a bit convoluted.

If the DMF and stretch hardware is all that's needed, I have heard it would cost $900-1200. The DMF alone is $638.19 today at 1stvwparts.com (03g105266be). Someone with a fully equipped shop could do it in ~8hrs; I did mine in about 14hrs, but I lack some of the heavier tools (lift, engine support, etc).

Keep in mind, I am NOT TRYING TO SET THE PRICE EXPECTATION for this replacement. I am just trying to provide information.

Tony

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
TonyJetta said:
I should have added...$900 is a SWAG.

When I replaced mine, in December of 2008, I had a pile of maintenance to complete: DSG DMF, DSG oil change, Timing belt, rear brakes, and oil change. So, all the $ I spent that month was a bit convoluted.

If the DMF and stretch hardware is all that's needed, I have heard it would cost $900-1200. The DMF alone is $638.19 today at 1stvwparts.com (03g105266be). Someone with a fully equipped shop could do it in ~8hrs; I did mine in about 14hrs, but I lack some of the heavier tools (lift, engine support, etc).

Keep in mind, I am NOT TRYING TO SET THE PRICE EXPECTATION for this replacement. I am just trying to provide information.

Tony
Well after telling the TDI mechanic he was wrong several times he did some checking and he was quoting me the manual trans DMF now we are at $1400...

Mach1

TDI
Clark, that is the usual dealer price..

Tony...I wasnt setting pricing either, just wanted to give more accurate pricing info, I didnt mean to knock your offer.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mach1 said:
Tony...I wasnt setting pricing either, just wanted to give more accurate pricing info, I didnt mean to knock your offer.
No worries...No offense taken. I had realized that the prices I quoted may have been taken out of context and thought I should clarify.

Tony

depush

TDI
2006 Jetta
DMF Fail

I bought my '06 DSG last July with 75k on it. I'm now at 106k and started to hear the dreaded sounds of DMF disintegration around last xmas. Finally had a sec to have it taken care of. My mech just confirmed it:

I need to get 350k outta this baby. :cool:

I also want to take a moment to thank everyone for all the great info on this forum. I wouldn't know my DSG from DSP if it wasn't for reading here.

The Jetta TDI is a great car, IMHO. But man, she's got her ways.

Last edited:

Miata492

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
My 06 DSG Diesel Edition with 99,600 miles on it is at the VW dealer right now having the DMF replaced. I started getting the rattling noises recently and thankfully I had purchased a 4yr/100k comprehensive warranty when I bought the car new in June 2007 (I got the dealer down to $800 for the warranty!). So with 400 miles to go on my warranty the DMF is getting replaced for the price of my $50 deductible! The warranty actually worked out for me as back at about 76k, I kept getting odd warning lights and it ended up being an oil seal leaking on the wiring harness which caused the crazy codes and now the DMF replacement - I am happy I had it and so is my wife!
Other than that, I have changed the oil every 10k with the correct oil, changed the fuel filter at 30k, 60k and 90k. I have had the rear brakes replaced twice but on the original fronts still (with a lot left too!). Serviced the DSG at 50k and will be doing the timing belt very soon. And after 96k I finally had to get 4 new tires! The Conti's served me well but I just installed the General Altimax HP's and I love them - the car has never been so good in the rain or snow.
I drive 160 miles a day 4 days per week from CT to NYC plus weekend driving and road trips and I could not think of a better car to do it in.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Glad to see it work out for you. I have heard about some aftermarket warranties exploring thier obligation to a electronically controlled manual transmission. Your warranty was a good one.

tatertuned

TDI
12v cummins
Has anyone put a smf in? Or had one made?
Would it work ? If not,why? Thanks my dmf is making a noise hear and there I want to fix the problem for good.. And make the dsg a reliable trans for my goal of 250hp

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AFAIK, no one makes a SMF for the DSG. I have not heard of any aftermarket hot rod parts for the DSG. Given the magnetic clutches involved, a SMF may be too harsh for the trans.

It may be hard to hit your goal of 250hp on a DSG. I may be wrong, though.

Tony

tatertuned

TDI
12v cummins
I've got a very good machinst who says he could make one.. I don't know if I do some tuning to the dsg it may be able to handle it like defueling on shifts maybe.. They do have heavy clucthes and belt avaible the gasser been usin along with dsg tuning I guess my question is if I get a smf made will the tuning make the dsg hold?

DSM1

TDI
'06 Jetta
Holy cow!

The dealer put us off when I ask about this rattling noise during the warranty period. Now it's out and they're qouting me $1997 to replace the DMF. :eek:
This '06 Jetta is a real money pit. The fuel savings can't come close to making up for maintenence/repair cost.

Any gurus in north Dallas/Mckinney area doing DMF replacements?

DSM1

TDI
'06 Jetta
Thanks

runonbeer said:
Tons of guys up that way. Check the TDI101 Trusted Mechanics list for Texas.
We dropped the Jetta off at the local guru's shop this morning to have DMF flywheel, TB, intake manifold cleaning and a few other items addressed. I will report back with the results.

Thanks.

DSM1

TDI
'06 Jetta
Fixed

I ask for the old parts and looking at the DMF it appears to have about 10-15mm of movement. It sure sounded a lot worse.

Several other items were address as well, TB, EGR cooler valve, DSG service and a new windshield... $3373 total.

She sounds back to normal now.

Thanks Brian.

goonieguy8

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok. Crap. I just bought my 2006 DSG at 86000 miles for 14000. While test driving it did the hard downshifting at low speeds and i found it odd, but having never driven a diesel before i thought it was normal. Now after reading this im very concerned and would like to know if anyone can direct me to someone in or near Altanta, Ga that would be able to troubleshoot or know of a good mechanic! thanks for the help! :/

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At the top of tdi101, there is a sticky that lists 'trusted tdi mechanics'.

Tony

rickyquicky

TDI
A3 2.0 TDI DSG
Hi guys, im from the UK and im impressed by the level of knowledge you guys have!

I have a 2006 Golf mk5 2.0 TDI DSG and having issues with my car which could be DMF.....

My car has an intermittent shake/wobble which comes and goes at any speed or RPM's, more throttle or load makes it worse. There is no shaking at idle, however holding the revs at approx 1400RPM in 'park' (its auto) can bring a slight shake. Its also very hard to hold the revs at a stable 1400, it seems to want to want to either sit below or rev above.

There are no obvious noises at idle/driving/revving etc

There is a faint 'humming noise' which starts just before 3000rpm and comes and goes in a sort of rythm once every second which gets more constant as revs rise.

The problem seems to be affected heavily by throttle position or engine load which makes me doubt if it is flywheel?

Do you think this sounds like a failing DMF? Or are there other issues which cause shaking? Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited: