Upgrading one of the buy-back cars

dunringil

TDI
passat
I had one of the TDI passat 2014 cars that were bought back.

They are now selling the buy-backs after initiating the "FIX" which will decrease the fuel economy.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or performance tuner options that could return that mileage if I were to buy one of those "buy back" cars.

I live in a state that does not require emission testing on Diesels, so it's not even an issue with me. I'd like to get my fuel economy and my car back (in upgrade of course)

Last edited:

dunringil

TDI
passat
That's very interesting. I got way better mileage on my car than the sticker promised. Just driving around I got 42 and on a trip I got 51. I figured the "fix" would cut that down since that issue.

dunringil

TDI
passat
The premise would be if they were motivated to cheat on the emission test then there should have been a gain for that motivation. The gain being an improved mileage or power rating.

If the "FIX" does not lose power or mileage, then why would they have cheated to begin with?

An inline computer chip could be removed without detection. one that intercepted and adjusted.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If the "FIX" does not lose power or mileage, then why would they have cheated to begin with?
Because it cost more money or they were under the gun to release the cars in 2009 and did not want to spend the time to develop the system correctly. Now they were forced to.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
An inline tuning box will not be anywhere near what a custom tune can do for you. Coming from someone who tried the box (Digi), Rocketchip, and Malone tunes at one time or another on various cars.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
An inline computer chip could be removed without detection. one that intercepted and adjusted.
Sure, but there is no inline tuning box option for these cars that also doesn't destroy the engines. I believe Rocketbox makes one? And I think APR.

If I were in your position, I would learn more about the "fix" before deciding if tuning it out is worth it: the impetus of a tune being desired is to remove the emissions equipment anyway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The only year bought back cars VW is allowed to sell so far is 2015. It has a different engine than your 2014. The 2012-2014 Passats have an approved fix, but so far VW isn't allowed to fix and resell the 2012-2014 cars.

Tuners have software that will return the car to its pre-fixed setup with performance improvements. There are several tuners that have these tunes available for the 2015 cars.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I just bought a "fixed" 2015, so I don't have a "before" to compare. Most of the way first tank and I'm getting 5L/100KMs (47mpg), according to the trip computer.

There is still another piece to the "fix" in Canada, if I understand the documents that came with the car. So it could be that the negative part hasn't been done yet.

All the warranty says is that the new pieces that were installed are covered, plus the exhaust system. Is the US deal different?

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope, pretty much the same here. The parts for phase 2 are primarily replacements with same, and an additional sensor (or two?) so are not expected to cause any change. Stage 2 is mainly for longevity - the car should be emission compliant with stage 1.

merlino

TDI
Jetta IV
Because it cost more money or they were under the gun to release the cars in 2009 and did not want to spend the time to develop the system correctly. Now they were forced to.
Absolutely agree with you

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I have no "before" as a baseline, but I'm getting 55 mpg so far through 10,000 miles in my 2015 GSW purchased new in May. Granted, I'm a speed limit +5-10 mph driver. If I drove it like a jackrabbit on crack like most people do, I'd probably only get 45 mpg. My Fuelly signature box is clickable if you want details on every fill.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
This engine is phenomenal around 14-19 hundred RPM. I can get 60 MPG sustained in 6th gear and 70+ in 4th.

And when some jackass in an Equinox is doing 55 in the slow lane on the freeway...

Even going 85 without drafting I get 45 MPG.