Cr170 turbo onto PD?

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Hi guys, a friend has a 1.9tdi PD , his turbo is on its way out and leaking oil into the inlet. I read somewhere here the common rail turbo is an upgrade? Do they bolt straight on?
Many thanks

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Which version of the PD is it? If it's a PD that's like the BRM in the US, I'd get a PD140 or a GTB1749VC from Darkside, both are direct plug and play. I just installed the GTB1749VC and the install was pure bolt on, nothing unexpected came up in the install. Plus, the price is right.

Edit: Exhaust ports appear to be different on the CR.

Last edited:

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Great thanks for that! I'll ask him which engine code he has. I know his has the vacuum control turbo actuator. I have the 2.0 BMM in my car which has a electronic actuator so I'm guessing a cr140 turbo would bolt straight on mine but not so much his?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Mind you, I was born at a young age, but I think the BMM's turbo is the one used as a bolt on upgrade for the BRM. Unfortunately, that puts you in the same boat as your buddy. Good news is that the GTB1749VC from DS will work on your car, but I'm not sure if it's a big enough upgrade to be worth it.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Tbh I'm more interested in making it last as long as possible rather than performance. Almost 220k on the car to date so hopefully should go on a lot longer yet.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Mind you, I was born at a young age, but I think the BMM's turbo is the one used as a bolt on upgrade for the BRM. Unfortunately, that puts you in the same boat as your buddy. Good news is that the GTB1749VC from DS will work on your car, but I'm not sure if it's a big enough upgrade to be worth it.
What is the BMM turbo? I have heard of the other 2 and will be needing to replace my turbo in the next while.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The BMM is the PD140, BMM is the engine code. Both the PD140 or the GTB1749VC are good turbos for our applications. The PD140 will be a little more responsive, the latter will be a little better at higher RPM.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The BMM is the PD140, BMM is the engine code. Both the PD140 or the GTB1749VC are good turbos for our applications. The PD140 will be a little more responsive, the latter will be a little better at higher RPM.

Got it thanks. Heard good things about the PD140 which is the one I think I will go with once I need to replace. My understanding you can replace the VNT controller on this turbo.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That should be the case, it's similar(if not the same) to the one on my GTB1749VC which looks replaceable. The price between the two turbo is around the same, I'll let you know what I think of the turbo after I get some decent miles on it.