Stiff side to side manual gear shift

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Accidentally posted to the MKIV forum first...

G'day,

So I've sat my 2010 Jetta waiting for the buyback and didn't move it around often enough. Manual transmission, and now it is really hard to change gears. I've managed to row the gears 1 through 6 with some effort, but simply cannot get it into reverse. It switches up and down fine (3 to 4), but not side to side for 1,2 5,6 and reverse.
I don't want to run into any issues with RicePoint calling the car not driveable when it comes to the buyback appointment (August 29th), so I'm guessing I need to sort this out before hand...
Can anyone provide me with some advice or instructions on how to get at the linkages between the stick and the transmission to potentially clean them up and lube them?
Since the car worked fine before parking it - I'm assuming it is external to the transmission and the pure result of corrosion.

Sean.

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Thanks everyone for the help - all fixed now!

I took the air box out, the battery and the battery tray to get at the linkages. Turns out it was the pivot pin that translates the left\right of the gearshift into the up\down on the transmission pin that was nearly seized. It was really seized, so getting it out was a challenge. I poured ice water on it which shrunk the housing enough to be able to wiggle the plastic part out. Cleaned it up, greased it, put it all back together and adjusted the cables. Works perfectly now!

Sean.