Does your diagnostic connector look like this?

tomaz

Hi!

After I found some specification for SAE cable connector I decided to check my car connector. I was surprised it doesn't look like the scheme.
To all members, especially EUROPEAN, please check your diagnostic connectors (in GOLF is under climate control in front of gear stick, remove plate with funny picture on it.
Here I will post image that I marked with pin numbers. Please tell me which pins are occupied (that is are not empty) in connector of your car.
Tnx,

------------------
1999 Golf TDI 110 HP
black / beige
Wett is selling ponies. 20$ a piece.

tomaz

But then your car isn't ISO compliant.
I know that connectors are all the same.

Be aware of the pins.
ISO has 16, 15, 14, 7, and 4 occupied.
In my case 7 and 15 are empty. So it is not ISO. I suspect it is newer CAN bus.
Does your connector have the same pins occupied?

------------------
1999 Golf TDI 110 HP
black / beige
Wett is selling ponies. 20$ a piece.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You're right, the occupied pin positions are different! There's no way to tell which pins the car has connected without taking apart the dash (for some reason I can't see into the connector like you can). But I checked the VAG-COM cable that plugs into this connector, and it only has two pins filled on the upper section and two pins filled on the lower section. Not all of those pins line up with wires on your connector - it's different.

The North American ones are OBD-II compliant, looks like the Euro standard is not the same!

Brian

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
I have a Golf 90 hp, produced in september of 1998, EURO and have pins 4,5,7 and 16 occupied if I saw it right. I'm interested if VAG-COM can read with that pin assignment. Thanks!

[ March 26, 2001: Message edited by: PTC ]

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
ISO-9141 uses the following pins:

4 (Ground)
7 "K"
15 "L"
16 +12

These are the four pins on my cable. Newer cars do not need or use 15 ("L") any more.
So long as your diagnostic connector has 4, 7 and 16, VAG-COM will work!

6 & 13 are indeed the (Powertrain) CAN Bus.

I'm not sure what 5 & 12 are in that picture. Possible the secondary low-speed "Comfort CAN"...

-Uwe- http://www.Ross-Tech.com