New 2013 Passat TDI SE w/ SunroofTDI

knighthawk

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
We took delivery of our Opera Red Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof yesterday! We traded in our 8 month old 2012 White Jetta TDI Premium as it didn't fair well in an accident about 3 weeks ago. LOVE the Passat, great car, but I was a little disappointed that there was no MDI Cable in the glove compartment like the Jetta had. It was nice to at least have that extra charging point. We have the AUX input in the center armrest and a 12v outlet, but no MDI outlet there either. Looks to be the same radio as the Jetta, but without the FENDER speakers... Am I missing something?
I know the engine hasn't been 'broken in' yet, but I can easily see the Passat getting comparible, if not better, fuel economy as the Jetta. On our 1hr trip home from the dealer we ended up around 46mpg as indicated by the MFI.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Sorry for the Jetta loss! Welcome to the larger version!

My SEL came with the MDI cable. Except for charging, I don't like it. The cable is too short. It locks out my phone interface to media. The phone media interface is far superior to any OEM Apple integration I have used. Bluetooth audio streaming is where it's at. You can still see the track/artist info on the screen and rewind/advance the tracks via the steering wheel controls.

Only SEL gets the Fender in Passat.

Plenty of Apple charging options for under $10, $30 for Lightning connector. Or, under $5 for micro USB. Use a 12V plug to USB and any USB cable to phone cable you want.

Last edited:

knighthawk

TDI
We really enjoyed the Jetta and we are sorry to see it go, but I think the Passat is a better fit for our lifestyle. I'm very impressed with the DSG, and I know that you get a few more MPG with the manual, but I am getting old and lazy. We are taking it on a road trip in a couple of weeks from NH to FLA and back. Should be an interesting excursion. This brings up the other issue, the number of available 12v ports is a little lacking. My wife is constantly on the phone for business and between her phone and the GPS there isn't a place for me to plug in my accessories. We used to put a phone in the glove box simply to charge, but that won't be the case now. Maybe a dual port adapter would do the trick? Are there any issues with drawing the extra juice from the single port?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You could put a multi-tap inside the center console if all you're doing is charging cell phones or powering a GPS. If you need more power than 20 amps, you could add another 12v outlet or two under one of the seats or on the side of the center console and tie it into the fuse block.

Jason and I are going to add a 30 amp circuit under the passenger's seat for a CB linear and an additional 12v outlet.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
...but I was a little disappointed that there was no MDI Cable in the glove compartment like the Jetta had. ...We have the AUX input in the center armrest and a 12v outlet, but no MDI outlet there either. Looks to be the same radio as the Jetta, but without the FENDER speakers... Am I missing something?
The MDI is in the center arm rest storage area. It is a short cable.

knighthawk

TDI
I did look in the center console and there is a media plug in there, but not the MDI. This one looks like a direct wire for the headphone jack. Not a huge issue, just a little disappointed as the Jetta had it and I ASS-U-ME-D it was in the Passat as well. I'm surprised that VW (and other mfg) don't have double 12v outlets in the front of their vehicles by now. With GPS, Cell Phones, mobile gaming, etc there is definitely a need. Very happy with the deal we got through Seacoast VW in NH, almost $2k under MSRP!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Not on the SE.
Only comes on SE with Sun and Nav or SEL trims.

Knighthawk sounds like he rushed into this purchase a bit without looking at all the options with each trim level:D

Grats on the purchase. overall I've been real happy with mine. :cool:

uberCY

TDI
None
My 2012 GTI has MDI in the armrest. I rarely use it because, as you mentioned the cord is too short and the interface with the car is lacking. I do use bluetooth for music. I'm guessing the Passat has this feature as well?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes the Passat has Bluetooth and it sounds awesome (once you get the update from the VW dealer).

knighthawk

TDI
Knighthawk sounds like he rushed into this purchase a bit without looking at all the options with each trim level:D

Grats on the purchase. overall I've been real happy with mine. :cool:
Thanks! Not so much a rush as an assumption, and as I said a disappointment, but overall VERY happy with the upgrade from the Jetta. The overall LOOK and FEEL of the car is IMHO, vastly superior. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out the 'how to' of it. Unfortunetly, this is destined to be my wife's car as soon as she recovers fully from her injuries. For now, I am using it on my fairly short commute to work and on the regular errands. My POV is a 2009 Jetta gasser... :(

Is it wrong of me to wish her a slow recovery? :eek:

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Not on the SE.
It is on my SE. I have the sunroof and nav system. Perhaps that is the difference.

Now.. that being said. The MDI is worthless. I use the bluetooth instead which works so much better. When using the MDI, the iPod functions on my iPhone are locked out. The means you are stuck using VW's crappy interface.

Another reason I hate the MDI. It forces me to lock up my iPhone in the center storage area. Then I can't use it for other apps. Since the VW Nav package is so bad, I use my iPhone as a backup system. Apps do a better job if finding places, and they let me pan on the map.

I have used the MDI to charge my iPhone. But I think it would be better to simply use a cig lighter charger and keep the Bluetooth on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Gotcha. I totally forgot about the SE+ (with Nav)... :eek:

Bluetooth audio for the win!

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Great thread, I just got a 2012 passat comfortline (but this is where it gets weird) It's definetely a canadian model with the block heater plug in the lower front grill. It's labeled an SEL on the trunk (that's the US versioning). It has the base radio, but with leather, foglights and sunroof!!

I don't know if those are regular features but eh! It has the MDI cable in the center armrest but of course I'm running an android phone!! (Samsung galaxy S).

I love the Bluetooth music streaming but I can't control anything from the car, if I want to change songs I have to go to the phone!!

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is this normal? Can I get a wire (micro usb to "Iphone" adapter so I can use the steering wheel functions?

--Edit I just found one of my questions
http://keffervwparts.com/vwparts/in...ction=accessories&siteid=216177&catalogid=200

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is definitely a weird combination of things.

DylanC

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Sound quality through MDI

I picked up a 2012 Passat SEL last month and right now my only complaint is with the sound quality through the MDI cable. The sound quality is great from the radio, CD player and BT streaming from my iPhone. However, if I plug my iPod (where I keep most of my music) into the MDI cable the quality goes to hell.

Is this a issue with the whole MDI interface, or just a matter of the VW MDI cable needing to be replaced by a higher quality connection?

Thanks,

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hrm. I use the iPod MDI interface all the time, and the sound quality is excellent, assuming that the particular audio file I'm playing has a sufficiently high bitrate. Sirius, not so much, but I knew that going in.