RNS 315 MAP UPDATES - or lack thereof

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Here is my on-line conversation with VW about the non-availability of map updates for the 315 NAV radio ,in my car.

Dominic F. says:
How can I assist you today?
Charles Pytko says:
My dealer tells me new maps are not available for my 2012 Passat SE TDI - can you confirmm this?
Charles Pytko says:
I have the RNS 315 NAV system
Dominic F. says:
Let me see if I can, do you have the VIN available for your Passat?
Charles Pytko says:
1vwbn7a34cc078342
Dominic F. says:
Thank you.
Dominic F. says:
I don't have the navigation information on hand, but you might be able to find out if you have the latest map up dates by contacting NavTeq.
Dominic F. says:
Let me see if I can grab their contact info for you.
Charles Pytko says:
I did that...not available for my car
Dominic F. says:
So you already contacted NavTeq and they informed you that you have the most up to date maps?
Charles Pytko says:
That what it sounded like to me
Dominic F. says:
Ah, well then I would have to defer to their advice as they are the company that issues the software updates for our maps.
Charles Pytko says:
So you are saying that I have a year old "new" car that I bought from VW and I have an antiquated radio . The vehicle is still under warranty...is VW gonna replace the radio with one that has maps for it?
Dominic F. says:
The navigation system for your Passat is typically updated every 6 to 8 months.
Charles Pytko says:
OK...and now it has been well over a year...
Dominic F. says:
It looks like you purchase your vehicle on 4/2012, is that correct?
Charles Pytko says:
True
Dominic F. says:
I encourage you to stay in contact with your local VW dealer as an update may be available soon, and your VW dealer will be able to let you know when one becomes available.
Charles Pytko says:
Can you find out fro "whoever" if/when this will take place? And how long do I wait before complaining again?
Dominic F. says:
I've documented your concern, and your local VW dealer will know when the update becomes available, which is why we encourage you to stay in contact\ with them.
Charles Pytko says:
No problem with that...I am only a mile away from them. Thank you for documenting this issue.
Dominic F. says:
I'm happy to make sure the concerns of our customers are heard and relayed properly.
Dominic F. says:
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Charles Pytko says:
That's it Dominic...thank you and have a good day
Dominic F. says:
You too Charles!

OK...so now I wait. Any comments? Anyone heard about when updates will be available?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You willing to try the 6M update from the 510? I can see if I can get it on a SD card, and you can give it a whirl...

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
What are the chances that it might screw things up so I loose what I have? And what's the cost? If I wait for the dealer, I get it for nothing.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What are the chances that it might screw things up so I loose what I have? And what's the cost? If I wait for the dealer, I get it for nothing.
Just like the Stuff I have already published, I am not in it for the money, just trying to help people out. People have sent me stuff via PayPal, but it is completely up to them.

No Guarantee on any of it. I am pretty sure it won't try to load it, if it doesn't see it as valid. That is the way it works on 510. It validates it first.

If you wait for the dealer you won't see it at all. That is pretty evident by the conversation you yourself posted. The 6M Map Update was published by NavTeq on Feb 6 2013, with 12/24/2012 Map Data, and it took us until June to get hold of a good copy of it. The dealer still doesn't have it, or even have it in their pipeline that anybody can see. Technically the NavTeq website lists nothing for our cars...you know its out.

I am willing to try if you are? I will see if I can get it loaded on a SD on my side. If I can, I should be able to send you instructions, or post them on here. I am not going to go through testing on my side, if somebody with a 315 isn't willing to try it...

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I really don't want to take the chance of losing what I have.... if I do that I run the risk of screwing up whatever warranty I may have with the 315. I appreciate the offer, but the liability of doing it is too great. Now if someone is OUT of warranty and would attempt it, I would be forever grateful.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I also left a message with my local dealer about my contact with VOA about how they put them as my first point of contact - as if the dealer has control over any contracts with the vender that makes the map updates.....

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I really don't want to take the chance of losing what I have.... if I do that I run the risk of screwing up whatever warranty I may have with the 315. I appreciate the offer, but the liability of doing it is too great. Now if someone is OUT of warranty and would attempt it, I would be forever grateful.
No problem. If anybody is willing to give it a try, I am willing to help. Just yell. I don't have access to the 315, otherwise I could test it in person. Anybody in the Richmond, VA area with a 315, at is willing to be the test, just drop me a message.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
goto http://www.navigation.com

Select Passat/2012/2.5 SE (Not TDI SE)

and it gives:
RNS 315 v .3 Map Update - SD Card

Don't know if this will work with the TDI SE or what version you are currently running.

Also, I don't know why it comes up for the 2.5 SE and not TDI SE.

The RNS 510 has NOTHING listed.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP

and it gives:

Don't know if this will work with the TDI SE or what version you are currently running.

Interesting about the RNS 510 as that is where I ordered my V5M update a couple months ago.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE

and it gives:

Great question... I sent the same question to NavTeq for an answer.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Mine has V2 - don't understand why I can't get V3...... Just sent ANOTHER email to my service manager.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Mine has V2 - don't understand why I can't get V3...... Just sent ANOTHER email to my service manager.
More importantly why you can't get V6, the current revision of the Maps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JustinCase

TDI
2013 VW Passat
I just received an email from VW indicating that a update is available for my Passat with and RNS 315 (for $199). I recommend investing the $199 in a Garmin or TomTom instead of updating the pathetic excuse for a GPS system that resides in your radio.

Here is the link to the 'official Volkswagen map update center: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-VWNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=U2561-0080-311%40Navteq-VWNorthAmerica&JumpTo=OfferList&ProgramUUID=6kAKCghBXTQAAAFFYgENHZOA&utm_campaign=VWQ214&utm_medium=EM&utm_source=VW-EM1-SD-0514

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I got the email today too. As much as I am bummed when I cannot find many "points of interest", i'm not sure if I want to pony up $200 for a map update. Other than not finding much by name, I've had no real complaints with my GPS and I like the integration into the MFD...wouldn't have that with a standalone unit. I used to have a standalone unit and now we have integrated GPS in both of our cars and I like that so much better.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
My wife really likes the 315 nav system. I cant handle it as any modern phone blows it away in every aspect