Exhaust system warning light?

daleho1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI PD/package 2 triptronic 6 speed auto
I was driving to day and the exhaust system warning light came on (steady,not flashing) the odometer rolled over 20000 about the same time so could some one tell me if the light coming on is programed to come on for the 20000 mile service or just coincidence and I do have a emissions problem?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Not sure what you are calling an 'exhaust system warning light'. You are still under warranty however, so take it to see the dealer asap.

If you can scan with vag-com and post the resulting codes it would help.

Bill

daleho1

TDI
exhaust system warning light

the warning light looks like a picture of an engine, the owners manual called it the exhaust warning light, the screen then comes on and says "emissions workshop" I do need to buy a vag com, the closest dealer is 300 miles away. the car runs fine and the fuel miilage hasn't fallen off. I need to know if its ok to drive to the dealer. I live in southeastern Ut and the dealer is in Salt lake city.

thanks for your time,
Dale

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I think I would call the dealer and ask them what to do if it were my car and under warranty.
Be prepared to leave the car until fixed.

Good luck,

Bill

daleho1

TDI
Update

thanks to all that responeded. I took my car to the dealer yesterday, (Strong VW in Salt Lake City UT) I have to give them credit for getting me in and out in a timely manuer, 5hrs, the emissions work shop error came up as a bad glow plug. I had them do the 20,000 mile service, I had changed the incabin filter so told them not to change it but I wanted to change the air filter. all this came out fine. I told them the head lights were off, low beams fine , high beams to high and a shadow inbetween, (yes I have read the thread with directions on how to adjust) I told them if you can't adjust them and leave the lows where they are leave it alone, well on the way home I got to check them out and sure enough they had #$%@ them up real good! pointing straight down, like 10feet in front of the car. I stopped at wal-mart and got a hex wrench and atleast got them back up so I could see the deer and elk. I had mentioned to them that the avg MPG was reading 10% high and to adjust that if they could. I'm not sure if they did or not. I checked the milage but it was on half the ussuals mile and was only half as bad as it was. I noticed they put a next service sticker in the window and it was only 5000 miles not 10000. they did a real sorry wash job, (I'm sure because they were in a hurry to get it out for me)

the only extra thing they charged me for was adjusting the head lights,14.95. the total was $310.00 . so after figuring in one night in a hotel, diesel and food this service cost me close to $500. I know, more than the cost of a vag-com and if I decide to keep the car thats what I will do. I did ask them what they charged to service the DSG tranny, just what we have heard on this forum, we haven't actsually done one let me check, and hour later he came back and said around $400.

Now I have to ask myself, am I saving enough in fuel to justify the exspense and time of all the service work ? even if I do it my self. right now I'm enjoying playing with it, I will chip or smart box it before I make up my mind. If it wasn't for this forum I would have traded it yesterday so thanks to all.

Oh, I forgot to add the exspense of spending a 700 mile, one night trip with my 8.5 year old grandson, Priceless!!!!!