New '04 Jetta TDI topped off with unleaded :(

trgfunds

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI
New \'04 Jetta TDI topped off with unleaded :(

So I take delivery of the car and get on the freeway, clutch in for traffic and it stalls. This happens several times, so I go back, they check it out, and it turns out the absent minded (to say the least) lot attendant or whoever, topped it off with unleaded fuel. It was only a few gallons at most. The car is in service now. How should I handle this? Is this a big deal? Serious internal damage? anything I should know about? This is my first Diesel car, thanks for the advice.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

hi, welcome to tdiclub. This is a most distressing 1st post.

Force them to drain the fuel system which I assume they're doing. Make certain you have a copy of the work order covering this so if/when you have a major FI calamity in the future, you'll be covered and it will be on their dime.

Hopefully the car died quik enough to prevent any real damage. The '04 cars are all super-sensitive to fuel quality which is fortunate in your case.

trgfunds

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI

I drove all the way off the lot, to the freeway, on the freeway for a few miles, whilst stalling a few times clutching in. I restarted the car several times. I just got it back and it runs great now, they drained the fuel, replaced all the filters, and some other things, but my concern is one of doing damage to the actual internal engine - pistons, rods, etc. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I mean this was maybe a few gallons of unleaded, driven 10+ miles, started and stalled a few times. I know these engines are pretty tough, so I'm not too worried, but it just erks the hell out of me especially on a brand new car. FWIW though, they handled it extremely well. (Chapman BMW/VW/Dodge of Scottsdale, AZ) Their response was immediate. They gave me several free fillups, oil changes and details, comp'd me a rental for the day, etc. So all in all, should I be very concerned? Any input? Thanks

Weasle543

Veteran Member
TDI
98 blue & 03 grey Jetta, 96 green Passat

Sorry to hear that.

I know if I were in your shoes, I'd be pushing for another car. They just screwed the pooch. There is no DOUBT about WHO did it.

Hope it all turns out alright.

debensey

Veteran Member

I know some folks who have had cars/trucks run years after something like that. Most of the time the problem is obvious after only a few miles, so the damage is not severe. Still, you got to wonder. It's got to do some harm. Don't sign a release.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

I have heard of people putting gas in their tank on purpose before. As an additive to prevent gelling or clean out the fuel system or as a biocide? (going from poor memory here). I would never do it nor would I ever suggest it. If it was only a few gallons, I would say it was diluted enough that no damage was done. If there are any problems, they should manifest themselves well within your warranty period. As noted above, make sure you have the documented proof of what happened so that if there is a future problem, you won't have a hard time getting it resolved.

Enjoy your new wheels & welcome to the club.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
..but my concern is one of doing damage to the actual internal engine - pistons, rods, etc. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

[/ QUOTE ]

These cars are so new to NAmerica that you may be the first known mis-fueling case on a PD car. (There's a huge article in Diesel Car magazine this month about mis-fueling and what a widespread problem it's become.) You will have to let us know how the car's doing. The FI system would be your primary area of concern - - not the engine itself.

I can say that plenty of others have added gasoline to their TDis - - - some have gotten away with it and others have ended up replacing FI pumps. Since the PDs doesn't have an FI pump as the earlier cars do, you may be OK. I'm really hoping that 10 miles was not enough to do serious damage.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

I haven't seen anybody document the effect gasoline has on the PD injectors, their o-rings, nor the blocking vanes in the fuel pump. You might be the first to let us know if it did harm or not.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk

Do you have a receipt listing what parts were replaced and what procedures were done? Did they just flush the fuel system or did they replace anything?

professor

Veteran Member

Here's the bottom line: Your worry will have absolutely no effect on the operation of the car, and if its now working properly, no one is going to spend time or money to fix something that isn't broke.

RTDI

TDI
2004 jetta

I was reading my owners manuel and it was saing that if you put gasoline in by accedent and if it is still drivable that you can still drive it. If you put too much where it does not run it simply just says to drain it and refill and you are on your way. I am sure it would have to be blead first. My point is if the manuel says it is ok to run it that way I would assume no damage would be done.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Rtdi, what model year car are you referring to?

S

SkyPup

Maybe if you add a couple of gallons of tap water from a garden hose, it will help to neutralize all the gasoline?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon

I would take the car back and ask for a brand new one. Sorry but they were 100% at fault for it.. I wouldn't even take the chance.

zeratul

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD JETTA GLS, GALACTIC BLUE, 5 SPD,

even if your car now drives fine, there may still be some damage done when gasoline passed through nozzles or other precision injection parts. gasoline has almost none of the lubricative properties of diesel, which these componants require to operate without wear. so if you experienced any excessive wear you may have taken years off of your engine life- but it wont be noticable until things start failing.

if you had put the fuel in then you would be stuck dealing with the possibility. since it was the dealership they should be forced to replace the entire vehicle for you. take advantage of this situation, dont settle!!

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you add a couple of gallons of tap water from a garden hose, it will help to neutralize all the gasoline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now cut it out, Skypup! These yung 'uns don't know you! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

I think I'd at least insist on a NEW pump.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
\'04 PD topped off with unleaded : )

there is no pump on the new cars apart from the electric pump in the fuel tank.

These newer cars may be far less susceptible to damage than the rotary pumps with the high internal operating pressures.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

Oops. I've got one of those ratty old '03's /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD Jetta TDI topped off with unleaded : 0

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

R, at some point, would you be able to post a scan of the section you are referencing in your owner's manual? It would be great to see the exact wording.

Under what section does this info appear?

Thanks.

TSmith

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver

Don't I remember from a previous "I put gas in my diesel" post that gasoline burns much hotter than diesel and this is what causes engine damage in a diesel. If I were in this situation I would want a new car and would recommend that the dealer use the car as a loaner!

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta

I agree with TSmith, you don't need to be saddled with the future worry, warranted or not. Tell them you will not take the car and you will change all your bank accounts so none of the payments go through.

Turn up your "unreasonable pig-headedness" knob and make them squirm- personally I would be a real prick about it

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is also a cam-mounted combo vacuum-fuel pump. But still nothing like the distributor pump in terms of tolerances.

Given that this was a new car, I'd be looking for a brand new fuel system...

zapityzap

I would not want to take the risk of keeping this vehicle.... without some compensation. That said, I would either ask for:

A) A new, replacement vehicle or
B) A big discount off the price (once it is supposedly fixed). How about 50 percent off the purchase price?
C) A super, all expenses paid extended warranty. Including ALL maintenance costs.

This was not your fault, so you don't have to deal with the consequences of it. I agree, take advantage of the situation.

S

SkyPup

[ QUOTE ]

These newer cars may be far less susceptible to damage than the rotary pumps with the high internal operating pressures.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the 30,000psi Pump Duse injectors working so well with gasoline and no lubrication, why even bother to use diesel fuel if the new PD systems are immune to petrol? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta

Its quite possible that by draining the fuel tank replacing the filters everything is good to go. Getting something in writing from them to give you additional coverage on fuel pumps and injectors is a bare minimum. Free extended warranty or something.

That being said as long as you have a breath in you, go and fight for a new car. Don't stop calling VW customer service, don't stop calling the dealer, talk to everyone the service advisors, the techs, the parts guys, the managere, the owner. Write as many letters as you can. And quite simply go and drop off your keys and the car demanding a new one. I think if you fight hard enough they'll give you a new one.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
\'04 Jetta PD topped off with unleaded :)

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd just drive the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. He's got full recourse should something happen.

The "gasoline" mis-fueling clause in the '04 OM is very interesting.

S

SkyPup

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd just drive the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drive it right into a wall and then try to collect the insurance to get another one that isn't being fed petrol instead of diesel.... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif